Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock 4L60E and cam guys

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 11:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Stock 4L60E and cam guys

I was just wondering how many people were running a cam with their stock 4L60E. My setup would be 3600 TCI SSF, B&M transmission cooler, Torquer V2 cam(with supporting mods), and regular bolt-ons. It won't be raced at the strip at all, but was hoping i could drive it until the end of the summer when I will have a built transmission bought. Right now the transmission shifts great, no slipping at all. Also it has 96K miles on it, but isn't being driven right now since it's winter. Thanks for any help!
Old 01-05-2010, 03:22 PM
SMS
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe someone will correct me here, but when I spoke with the tech at TRANSGO about my HD2 kit, he told me that spinning a stock trans above 5500 rpm is bad news. There is a ball in the drum that will become unseated by centrifugal force and result in a internal oil leak, thus losing apply pressure on the clutches, and you know what that means. Being that you have a cam and might be spinning the engine higher than 5500, I thought you might want to know about this. I'm sure just driving it around will be OK. I'm not a 4l60e expert by any means, and maybe one of the residents here will chime in.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:30 PM
On The Tree

Hmmm, that's kind of weird since stock shift points are at 6K. Anyone LSD with some advice? Also the only time it would see high RPMs with the stock trans is for my tune. I can wait to get on it until I get my built transmission.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

You will be fine with a stock trans. I try to change my trans filter/fluid once a year regardless of miles though as the bigger converter generates more heat. I personally think the V2 needs a 4k stall but the 3600 will do fine.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The gentleman at TransGo is just doing his job. They have a spring kit in the HD-2 kit that will prevent that problem from happening. In some cases, the centrifigal force can come into play. I've never checked the difference between the F-Body, Corvette 4L60E springs compared to say an S-10, PU, Tahoe etc. The springs may be stronger, but the "helper springs" are in the kit to prevent this.

If you are going to get a "built" trans, I wouldn't worry about your trans. Just get a tune for the converter-stall. Make sure you get a free stall change as when you do get your new trans, send your converter in to get it cleaned for free.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll take it pretty easy on the trans until I get a built one. I might get on it every once in a while, but it won't see any racing.