Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to tell if a flywheel is warped or cracked??

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 09:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to tell if a flywheel is warped or cracked??

I'm having a issue with vibration at around 2500 rpm noticable in D and OD. I've noticed it doesn't do it when the car is cold and the converter doesn't lockup. Does it really bad in OD doing about 60 once the car warms up. I can barely get over 60 sometimes....scared somethings going to break. So how can I tell if the converter is off balanced or the flywheel is warped or cracked??
Old 01-26-2010, 10:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always tap mine with a hammer when the tranny is off to check it. A dull thud would indicate a crack, a nice sharp ring indicates all is well. It's not a foolproof way, but enough peace of mind for me. Of course with your tranny still in place, this isn't a good option, but the only way I know of. Sorry I couldn't be more help, hopefully someone else will chime in.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:15 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

If this started suddenly and recently I would suspect the flex plate or possibly a converter bolt something of that nature. However the fact that it does not seem to do it cold would point to possibly engine missfire as that will cause a vibration very noticably when the converter is locked.
Unless the vibration was there since the start it would be unlikley for the converter to be out of balance. plus and out of balance converter and for that matter a cracked or warpped flexplate would show up cold or warm .

Call 888-744-6542

Quick Reply: How to tell if a flywheel is warped or cracked??