Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this a bad idea...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 04:02 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is this a bad idea...

I have an 02 Z28 and i have been looking at converters but i have one question. Will putting a converter in a car with the stock tranny at 130k be a bad idea? My tranny seems to do alright but occasionaly slips going into second. Can I ruin a brand new converter by doing this?
Old 01-30-2010, 04:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 02_camaroz28
I have an 02 Z28 and i have been looking at converters but i have one question. Will putting a converter in a car with the stock tranny at 130k be a bad idea? My tranny seems to do alright but occasionaly slips going into second. Can I ruin a brand new converter by doing this?
If it is already slipping, putting a converter in will almost guarantee it to go boom.

I would rebuild your current one or get a somewhat built transmission from a sponsor. It isn't that expensive and you will have peace of mind. I'm sure they would cut you a deal if you got the trans built and buy a converter.

I put a 4400 VIG in my old car at 100k miles and took it out at 116k miles with many track passes and DD the car everyday very hard. Never had one problem, the trans was in perfect working order when it went in though.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:58 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah I wouldn't do it. If you are already having a problem with the trans I wouldn't put a converter in it. If you have a hard part fail and metal goes though the trans it could trash your new converter.