Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just a few questions about stock and stalled ls1's.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 02:46 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just a few questions about stock and stalled ls1's.

Where I live there isn't a track. I actually went to a car meet(kinda out of character for me). The people seemed very down to earth for the most part. After leaving, a few roll races occurred on the dead highway in front of us.

To make a long story and several races short, I was surprised how well I did. I also noticed how poorly I did when I just stepped on it and let the car downshift on its own. From the 50-60 mph rolls, I would keep it in 2nd gear, stomp on it, and just move it right to drive when I'm WOT and let the computer shift on its own. Is this bad for the car in any way? My main concern was that you cannot rev match when you downshift like in a manual transmission car.

Also, when I install my Yank SS3600, will there be any need to do this if I decide to go from a roll ever again? I know it snaps right into the powerband, but the hesitation between the downshift is enough to hurt me when I'm racing a quick enough car.

I know the simple answer is to go from a dead stop. The opportunity doesn't present itself often, nor do my street tires allow it. Believe me, I wish I had a track, but it isn't happening for a while.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Slow
Where I live there isn't a track. I actually went to a car meet(kinda out of character for me). The people seemed very down to earth for the most part. After leaving, a few roll races occurred on the dead highway in front of us.

To make a long story and several races short, I was surprised how well I did. I also noticed how poorly I did when I just stepped on it and let the car downshift on its own. From the 50-60 mph rolls, I would keep it in 2nd gear, stomp on it, and just move it right to drive when I'm WOT and let the computer shift on its own. Is this bad for the car in any way? My main concern was that you cannot rev match when you downshift like in a manual transmission car.

Also, when I install my Yank SS3600, will there be any need to do this if I decide to go from a roll ever again? I know it snaps right into the powerband, but the hesitation between the downshift is enough to hurt me when I'm racing a quick enough car.

I know the simple answer is to go from a dead stop. The opportunity doesn't present itself often, nor do my street tires allow it. Believe me, I wish I had a track, but it isn't happening for a while.
1. You did it perfect, I try to do this as much as possible to avoid the trans having to slam downward into a gear at WOT. It may be made for that, but I feel like its putting the trans through unneeded abuse. If you can manually downshift at part-throttle you should IMO

2. Yes, continue to roll race like this. However, with a higher stall converter you are gonna lose some of your roll racing power through loss of efficiency up top bc of the higher str rating on the new stall. My opinion is, start the race at as low of a speed as you can get traction. You will pick up shift extension on the 2/3 shift which will help you, but for most autos, the race is won off the line.

Here's mine when I roll into it:

Keep in mind I have an SS4K

1st gear: useless on street tires or drag radials period, end of story.
2nd gear: I lay into it based on rpm not vehicle speed. Here's how it works, anything under 4000 rpms its gonna spin bc the converter is gonna jump to 4K automatically when you nail it. So if I am at say 3600 rpm and 40 mph in 2nd gear and I hit it, its gonna jump to around 4k and when it does it hits the tires hard enough to break them loose and makes for a hairy ride. Now if I hold to about 4100 rpms, then I lay into it, its a smooth application of power with no wheelspin. So I know not to start my races at any lower of an rpm or it might be a trip into the ditch
Old 02-16-2010, 03:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a ton! one thing I was worried about was loss of power up top. Will it be noticable to the point that cars I'm hanging with or barely pulling on from a 60 now will pull me? Or will the torque multiplication and shift extentions make up for it? I have way more chances at fun roll races now than digs with my crap tires. I also likely won't have cash for long tubs and y pipe for several months... Any stock stall vs. Stalled videos at the track or highway pulls? I'm searching around now.