Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

harder shifts after highway cruising

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 06:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default harder shifts after highway cruising

First i'll describe what my car is doing, then i'll go into detail on what has been done to the tranny.

The car shifts fine until i get on the highway for a dozen miles or so; then it starts shifting quite a bit firmer. Its been doing it for over a year now, and seems to do it more frequently when the weather is warmer.

a year and a half ago i had my fuddle 3400 convertor put in, and while i was there i had all the little pieces that you guys had recommended put in there. like the corvette servos, the beast sunshell, and the different 3-4 clutch pak. For some reason i didn't do a shift kit.

So six months down the road after taking my car to the track only two times. Im driving to school one day and i notice my car is shifting funny and my convertor quit locking up on the highway, and then the p1870 code pops so i freak out. I look it up on here and it says a shift kit will fix the problem.

So i order the shift kit that says its a p1870 fix shift kit. (i think its specialty products or presicion products that makes it).and have it installed. Put it in and the convertor starts behaving again. but it still will shift hard if i cruise for a while and then go through some stop lights.

I even had the tranny guy take a look at my tranny while it was apart and he said everything looked fine. he replaced a seperator plate (i think) but everything else looked good.

Its weird though, if i shut it off and start it right back up it will go back to shifting normally.

I have a monstrous tranny cooler located in front of my radiator, but i also have a Fast Toys Ram Air that sits in front of the cooler too. About half of it is behind the duct work of the ram air set up, and there should be a large amount of air that still hits the cooler, but i don't know...

HELP??
Old 02-21-2010, 09:27 AM
Launching!

P1870 is tcc slip there could be alot of things causing it 1 torque converter 2 tcc regulator valve is worn 3 AFL valve is worn ( actuator feed limit valve) 4 Lock up solenoid 5 Stator bushings worn out in pump. Easy fix if you know what you are doing.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:32 PM
11 Second Club

alright, i really need some direction on this:

considering the fact that the shift kit seemed to help significantly but not completely fix the problem and im on a fuddle thats 1 and half years old. what should i do next? should i just go to a tranny shop and let them figure it out?

my plates are expired and i really need to fix this!
Old 03-09-2010, 03:49 PM
Launching!

You need to go to a trans shop that knows what the hell they are doing.The most common problems are in the valvebody.Have them pull the v/b and check the afl valve & tcc regulator valve for wear.The afl valve is more commonly worn,and put a lockup solenoid while he has the v/b down it could be mechanically no good.Sonnax makes valves & reamers to fix v/b.If that does not fix it it either has a bad converter or the stator bushings are worn which is very common also.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:10 PM
11 Second Club

^thanks for the responce i really appreciate it.

i did already put in a shift kit that was packaged as the "p1870 fix." And i've read that its basically the same deal as the sonnax and transgo kits. with that being said should i look into stator bushings or checking the convertor for discoloration?
Old 03-09-2010, 05:03 PM
11 Second Club

I had a mail order tune done for the convertor from pcmforless right after i put the convertor in.

im not sure if its a billet front or not...it was the cheaper street design they were selling a few years ago.

My gut is telling me its the convertor, which sucks but i guess that means im selling my nitrous setup to fix the tranny...

should i check for discoloration on the convertor to be sure?
Old 03-12-2010, 11:02 AM
11 Second Club

speaking of having someone who knows what they are doing work on my car...

a guy comes into my work who i know is a mechanic; so i ask him if he would be interested in swapping my converter. He does the usual,"are you sure thats what the problem is?" thing. So i explained to him the code scenario to which he replies, "obd2 cars don't have codes." This is where immediately decide he's not touching my car. But for fun i ask why every scanner thats been on my car has given me a "P1870 code." His responce was that those scanners are wrong and that his scanner will tell you exactly whats wrong with a car and he doesn't have to diagnose at all....and then he proceeds to try and sell me on him scanning my car for $40....
Old 03-12-2010, 11:28 AM
Launching!

Stay Away from that guy.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:01 PM
11 Second Club

he was definetely an older guy...prolly late 50's. drinks a lot...stereotypical older mechanic
Old 03-12-2010, 02:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/...-07775404k.htm This fixed it in my Z-71 4L60e. If this or a similiar kit has been put in I would lean towards the convertor. Having seen a couple Fuddles crap kinda has me thinking this way...... I would pull it and have looked at by somebody who is qualified before it takes out some more componets......
Old 03-12-2010, 04:32 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/...-07775404k.htm This fixed it in my Z-71 4L60e. If this or a similiar kit has been put in I would lean towards the convertor. Having seen a couple Fuddles crap kinda has me thinking this way...... I would pull it and have looked at by somebody who is qualified before it takes out some more componets......
thats the plan, im prolly gonna get a circle d 3200 to replace the fuddle
Old 05-11-2010, 02:40 PM
11 Second Club

sorry to resurrect an old thread, but it ended up being the convertor and i did put a circle d 3200 in it.

on a side note, i went from getting like 190 miles per tank of gas to getting 265ish with the circle d over the fuddle
Old 05-11-2010, 03:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats good to hear. its always nice when its a simple fix for your car problems.