Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok heres a question for you tq convertor guys.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 08:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok heres a question for you tq convertor guys.

Line up 2 cars both mildy modded with nothing special done to them, Lets say exhaust tuner and an intake one has a stock stall and the other one doesnt, The other car has a 3500 stall which one would take the other car off the line. Reason why I'm asking is because a friend of my transmission guy showed me proof that a stock or close to stock engine will take a stalled car off the line. And a close to stock car would be me, In other words I dont have enough engine yet to warrent a high stall.......or do I? I'm just worried that if I go with a high stall my car would fall flat on it's face.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by onebadazzls1ta
Line up 2 cars both mildy modded with nothing special done to them, Lets say exhaust tuner and an intake one has a stock stall and the other one doesnt, The other car has a 3500 stall which one would take the other car off the line. Reason why I'm asking is because a friend of my transmission guy showed me proof that a stock or close to stock engine will take a stalled car off the line. And a close to stock car would be me, In other words I dont have enough engine yet to warrent a high stall.......or do I? I'm just worried that if I go with a high stall my car would fall flat on it's face.
Its never too early for a stall IMO. Get one in the 3000-3500 range.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok yeah I dont wanna get to over zealous and I also know that it's a worth while mod too.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok yeah I dont wanna get to over zealous and I also know that it's a worth while mod too.
When I got mine, it made the car a lot more fun to drive. You won't be disappointed at all, trust me. But also keep in mind your future mods when picking your stall. (mainly a cam if thats the route you want to go) And get a good tune to change your shift points and tq management.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I know I keep hearing on how you can barely keep tires on the car with a high stall LOL
Old 02-28-2010, 09:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Reason why I'm asking is because a friend of my transmission guy showed me proof that a stock or close to stock engine will take a stalled car off the line.
That guy is an idiot. He didnt prove anything, sounds like he tricked you. Sounds like you have never ridden in a stalled car before. All you have to do is ride/drive one once and you can see a huge difference. However, I wouldnt always put my money on the stalled car on the street on street tires bc it can be really hard to hook them up. With traction a stalled car will spank that ***. Mostly stock car would benefit greatly from at least a 3600 IMO.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:29 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
That guy is an idiot. He didnt prove anything, sounds like he tricked you. Sounds like you have never ridden in a stalled car before. All you have to do is ride/drive one once and you can see a huge difference. However, I wouldnt always put my money on the stalled car on the street on street tires bc it can be really hard to hook them up. With traction a stalled car will spank that ***. Mostly stock car would benefit greatly from at least a 3600 IMO.
Very true..A stalled car is ok on a street tire under normal driving....but it depends what you consider normal driving.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:00 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He is probably right on the street & street tires..You would sit there & spin..Now at the track if you both had drag radials, You would be be 2 car lengths ahead before anyone blinked.

Last edited by Dan; 02-28-2010 at 10:19 PM.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a friend of my transmission guy showed me proof that a stock or close to stock engine will take a stalled car off the line.
What kind of proof???
The fact is, whether stalled or stock, you need to "feather" the throttle off the line, on street tires.
If you drive the stalled car properly, without overpowering the tires, it should win.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

He showed me an article I only read a portion of it because I was still on the clock and I couldnt hang around for that long thats the proof LOL
Old 02-28-2010, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so basically what it boils down to it's a bitch to launch a stalled car, Yeah I have plans to cam it etc etc
Old 02-28-2010, 04:10 PM
11 Second Club

i just put a 3-3200 in my car and it woke the car up traction is a huge issue now but thats racin i figure with a decent tire and some seat time ill be able to launch it pretty well
Old 02-28-2010, 05:34 PM
12 Second Club

I have no trouble launching with MT drag radials..just stomping it off idle.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:42 AM
TECH Regular

dude i dont care what anyone says...i stalled car has the CAPABILITY of being the better car off the line....a stalled car will take off better with the right driver even on the street, you have to feather it....and even though you are feathering it, you are at a higher rpm so the car is more responsive (you have more control) and when you get it to grip you are going to be much higher in the rpm band(move faster the following tenths after it hooks)....the only people that run faster unstalled when perfect traction is impossible are the people that dont know how to drive, bottom line....iv driven stalled and unstalled, the people that have driven both AND DID IT WELL will most all agree IMHO
Old 03-01-2010, 07:12 AM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I can take a stock car and add a performance stall converter and knock of ~1/2 second. It can be up to a full second if it has a lot of mods but waited on a converter. Absolutely no question about it, the stalled car is faster.

There is the question about traction, but that argument could be said about 2 cars with different HP. The one with less HP will spin less out of the hole, thus will look faster. But in reality not true. Besides, you are not suppose to race on the streets.

Chris