Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

builders please help?!?! 4l60e problem

Old 03-01-2010, 01:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default builders please help?!?! 4l60e problem

ok so here it goes. tranny goes out in the burban so i decide to build the one i have in the floor instead of rebuilding the one in the truck.

build list includes complete rebuild kit with new clutches and bonded pistons. wide red eagle band, 3-4 Zpack, new converter, and a trans go HD-2 kit.

so i put it in the truck and it worked great for about 2 days then it started slipping or hunting on the 3 to 4 up shift and the 4 to 3 down shift and would not act right unless the tranny down shifted all the way to first. then it threw a 1-2 solenoid code and started taking off in 2nd unless put in manual
1st then lost over drive.

so i pulled the valve body and changed the solenoid and found the 4-3 valve stuck. i also pulled the servo out and checked it. put it back together and the code was gone but still no OD.

so after about a week and a half of this crap i decide to pull the tranny back out an i found the 3-4 pack burned up. and when i pulled the snap ring the clutch pack shot out like one of those snakes in a can.
so i pulled the whole tranny down looking for anything else and found nothing. so i put back together with stock 3-4 clutches and steels allong with a new peperator plate and a sonnax 3rd accumulator check valve.

well when i drove to the end of the street i was supprised when it went into OD but got very pissed when i turned the corner and it was not there.

everything else workes fine and as it should, nice firm positive shifts 1-2 and 2-3 and lockup real positive also but no OD.

please help im ready to blow this thing up
Old 03-01-2010, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by 98 4X4 burban
ok so here it goes. tranny goes out in the burban so i decide to build the one i have in the floor instead of rebuilding the one in the truck.

build list includes complete rebuild kit with new clutches and bonded pistons. wide red eagle band, 3-4 Zpack, new converter, and a trans go HD-2 kit.

so i put it in the truck and it worked great for about 2 days then it started slipping or hunting on the 3 to 4 up shift and the 4 to 3 down shift and would not act right unless the tranny down shifted all the way to first. then it threw a 1-2 solenoid code and started taking off in 2nd unless put in manual
1st then lost over drive.

so i pulled the valve body and changed the solenoid and found the 4-3 valve stuck. i also pulled the servo out and checked it. put it back together and the code was gone but still no OD.

so after about a week and a half of this crap i decide to pull the tranny back out an i found the 3-4 pack burned up. and when i pulled the snap ring the clutch pack shot out like one of those snakes in a can.
so i pulled the whole tranny down looking for anything else and found nothing. so i put back together with stock 3-4 clutches and steels allong with a new peperator plate and a sonnax 3rd accumulator check valve.

well when i drove to the end of the street i was supprised when it went into OD but got very pissed when i turned the corner and it was not there.

everything else workes fine and as it should, nice firm positive shifts 1-2 and 2-3 and lockup real positive also but no OD.

please help im ready to blow this thing up
Valve body is most likely the issue. Did you change the 1-2 solenoid? Usually when the 1-2 , 2-3 solenoid fails you have 2nd & 3rd or 1st & 4th only. Check resistance using a voltmeter, should be 20-30ohms. Check your 2-3 shift valve, accumulator valve, 1-2shift & 3-2control valves. It may be necessary to update your tcc regulator valve as well.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:42 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I would concur its may be a vb issue but the 3-4 clutch being burned up would also point to a hydraulics issue or presure issue.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 03-01-2010, 08:47 AM
On The Tree

too much or not enough pressure?
Old 11-28-2019, 06:21 AM

Default 2 n3 gear slip 3rd tranny 6 months

My tranny went out about 6 months ago it's a 4 L 60 e I bought a used one about a month down the road same thing 2nd 3rd gear started slipping bought another one just put it in drove it last night okay drove it to the store this morning okay Less store 3rd gear slipping I'm poor I can't afford to keep going through this what is causing me this problem and how can I fix it
Old 11-28-2019, 07:37 AM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Buy about 30 more used ones that don't work. Then you could sell them as cores and use the money to buy a rebuilt one.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,213 Likes on 778 Posts

"I'm poor"
add up the cost of the 2 (soon to be 3) used transmissions...the fluid...and your time (because if you had the time and energy to swap trannies...you had the time and energy to pick up extra hours at work)
Then compare that to the probably $1100-1300 bucks a properly rebuilt stock 4l60e would be from a local reputable builder.
Cost benefit analysis will show that your wasted time and money on used transmissions was probably a **** idea.

also...clean your MAF sensor. Repeat trans failure can often be traced back to line pressure issues that can be caused by a multitude of things both mechanical and electrical...but a dirty/bad MAF sensor will cause issues every time.

Search this Thread