Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e or 6l60e help please transmission out...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 11:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60e or 6l60e help please transmission out...

I need some help here..... I have a 2005 5.3,out of a avalanche, I swap it to a 84 c10, I worked the harness my self, I got the computer reprogrammed, the transmission I used was one out of 2007 tahoe with the police package if that make a difference,,, I finished the swap,, everything worked fine,, truck ran great,, thru the gears smootly down shift , up shift , burn out, how ever it only last it for about 250 miles,,, the transmission had 17k miles in it, so sunday I was going out for a cruise and after some hesitation on the freeway, I pull over to discover burnt transmission fluid smell, and when I tried to takeoff , it will slip from 2nd to 3rd baaaad,,,, so my question is since the harness and pcm is out of a 2005 avalanche, and I think that truck comes with a 4l60e , and the 2007 tahoe comes with a 6l60e would that had something to do with it breaking? or maybe just got a bad transmission? thanks in advanced and correct me if I am wrong...they guy where i bought the transm.. said he is gonna look at it... but I was wondering maybe the pcm made it go out???
Old 03-17-2010, 12:55 PM
Teching In

I would sure think running a six speed automatic on a pcm set up for a four speed would definitely be the cause of death.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:03 PM
Teching In

dude why dont you just upgrade for a lil bit more money and get a 4l80e tranny ? i had the 4l60e in my f-body before it went bad , almost like yours did . its the same length just a lilbit fatter , 3/4 inch. its worth the money and time . i have 942 hp without nitrous and right at 1300 with NO2 . it is a strong tranny and can hold up to 2500 hp . jsut suggesting it might help out . in that big *** truck that weighs 2.5 tons , u need the bigger tranny . well good luck
Old 03-17-2010, 02:33 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

The 2007 would have been a 4l65e so for the 5,3 electronics should have been identical to the 5.3 harness And aparently was or there would have been no shifts to start with. I would suspect fluid level or other either mechanical or possibly electrical control issue. And of note even a 4l80e will fail just as quickly as a 4l60e in those instances.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 03-18-2010, 01:07 AM
On The Tree

The PCM for both trucks were for 4L60Es, so that's not the problem. Sounds like your in for a trans rebuild if the fluid is burnt.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by performabuilt
The 2007 would have been a 4l65e so for the 5,3 electronics should have been identical to the 5.3 harness And aparently was or there would have been no shifts to start with. I would suspect fluid level or other either mechanical or possibly electrical control issue. And of note even a 4l80e will fail just as quickly as a 4l60e in those instances.
well here is the update to my problem... the guy from where a bought the transmission said not to worry about it and he was taking care of it.. so he gets my truck and sends it to a transmission shop and when they took it apart they found that the transmission is from a early model 08 tahoe and there is a valve< I forgot the name of it. that my pcm can not control maybe its call the boost valve? anyways they had another core there from 05 and we were compering them and other then this valve everything else was the same.. so they are going to overhaul the 05 core free of charge, since they guy sold me the wrong transmission, so this far it seems like the guys is doing good on the "I'LL take care of it" part... I might have to pay some for the taking the transmission off and on, but when he originally sold me the transm. for only 400 I dont mind paying some specially when they are doing the rebuilt...
Old 03-19-2010, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fptransport
well here is the update to my problem... the guy from where a bought the transmission said not to worry about it and he was taking care of it.. so he gets my truck and sends it to a transmission shop and when they took it apart they found that the transmission is from a early model 08 tahoe and there is a valve< I forgot the name of it. that my pcm can not control maybe its call the boost valve? anyways they had another core there from 05 and we were compering them and other then this valve everything else was the same.. so they are going to overhaul the 05 core free of charge, since they guy sold me the wrong transmission, so this far it seems like the guys is doing good on the "I'LL take care of it" part... I might have to pay some for the taking the transmission off and on, but when he originally sold me the transm. for only 400 I dont mind paying some specially when they are doing the rebuilt...
Thats good, you really could have gotten screwed if that guy didnt come thru like he said...too many like that these days... which is sad but hope it all comes together like planned.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:44 PM
On The Tree

thanks fbodyonly.. the truck was running perfect, smooth,, i miss her... lol

Quick Reply: 4l60e or 6l60e help please transmission out...