Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E Question-Tranny Gurus Chime In

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 01:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E Question-Tranny Gurus Chime In

Had a Mechanic reseal the front pump due to bushing wear and leak on a low mileage 4L60E in a 98 SS. Watched him perform this step by step. He upgraded the pump rings and spring at this time. Now the car wont shift unless you let off the gas and then it shifts to 3rd. Seems to be no 2nd or OD. now. You can manually pull it down from 3rd to 2nd and back,but will not do this on it's own. No codes--checked all solenoids,voltage,grounds,wiring,etc. to no avail. The tranny shifted good prior (other than a little 2-3 flare) and appeared to be in excellent cond. Nothing whatsoever as far as wear. What could have gone wrong here. I saw him lift on the input shaft as maybe to check clearance??? I understand 2&4 are on the band- could whatever actuates this come loose??
All help appreciated.....

Minor mods on car-Circle D--3600 stall
Old 03-08-2010, 02:15 PM
Teching In

Was there a warranty on the job? If so, I would take it to the guy and have him fix it. Sounds like it would need to be rebuilt, buddy.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:16 PM
Teching In

I'm sure he would warranty the job but I can't see where anything he did with the pump causing this(other than lifting the shaft) Trying to keep from pulling tranny when it may b something simple. This tranny has very few miles and looked really good inside. Not even any clutch dust in fluid whatsoever..
Old 03-08-2010, 06:01 PM
Teching In

I was told 2 apply air pressure thru the exhaust dump of the servo which is located in the pan rail to see if the servo will apply the band (should only b able to turn output shaft one direction ) could have slipped out of place? this came from the mechanic that worked on it. he also said I could also pull the servo and do this manually with a screwdriver. This sound right? I know the mechanic deal--used to work on cars for a living--got tired of dealing with the public,their cars,and their money-went to work in a refinery on rotating equipment....
Old 03-08-2010, 10:15 PM
Teching In

thats what happened--band came off anchor pin-had turned a little bit..servo not able to contact band--had I known this it would have been an easy check before re-installing the pump..I tend to learn stuff the hard way but dont forget--ha--