Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What in the 4L60E breaks?

Old 03-14-2010, 09:17 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What in the 4L60E breaks?

Hey,

Is there one particular part in the A4 trans that generally causes failure in this trans?

I read on one of the sponcers websites:

The sun gear has four extra slots machined into the bottom. This improves lubrication to the rear planetary gears. This is a huge improvement, and it virtually eliminates one of the most common points of failure.Their failure is almost exclusively due to a lack of lubrication. When you see one with a damaged rear planetary, it will almost always be accompanied by the blue-black signs of excessive heat.

So it sounds like machineing the sun gear would reduce the likelihood of my trans failing.

Is there any other parts that typically cause failure in the 4L60E trans?
Old 03-14-2010, 10:09 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the info Bro Inc.

So can I swap the 3-4 clutch and sunshell for stronger units, to make a more durable 4L60E? I know it wouldn't make it bullet proof, but would that make it much more sturdy?

Thanks for the help
Old 03-14-2010, 10:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine was rebuilt in 2004 with Fairbanks superior billet servos which is stronger than the corvette servos, also used the torque drive industries cryo beast sunshell. Have had zero issues since then and it takes a 300 shot with in the first 60' of launching.

The first issue with mine stock was 3-4 went out, they rebuilt trans and it broke sunshell with in 160 miles so I had everything replaced. went with raybestos blue plate special six pack clutch set.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:18 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally grinding slots in the rear sun gear in my opinion is BS! In all my years I have never done this and personally I think it is just something to add to a build list to appear as this is a state of the art mod! I read others build sheets and laugh at the wording in order to appear as if something really special has been done. When in reality in my opinion it really means nothing.

This might have helped in the early 700r4 transmissions where the lube flow was less but in a 96 and later 4l60E I do not see the reason for it. Also early 700r4 pressure regulator valves were different and the later ones were changed to increase lube oil that was taken from main line pressure. Another worthless plug that does not apply to later units that already have flats on the PR valve.

Keep in mind that these advertisement plugs have been used for 25 years of the existence of the 4l60. Just goes to show what really helps sell transmissions. Kind of a baffle them with BS sales technique!

When I have seen units with the blued pinion gears I think cooler flow pressure might have been more of an issue. A restricted cooler/low pressure or worn bushings would be where it was lost.

Another issue would be if the pinion gears were worn or had some play in them when the unit was built and just failed.

The sunshell can be upgraded with a beast shell and the 3-4 clutch pack can be updated by installing 4l65E clutches. This can be set up with a 7 or 8 pack depending on the thickness of the steels and also the pressure and apply plates. Another good thing to do is to install a wide band and if your transmission has plastic accumulator pistons replace them with aluminum ones.

This is just my view so take it for what it is worth. Good luck with your build and if you decide to get a new unit feel free to give us a call to go over your build. Vince

www.finishlinetrans.com 1-630-350-7776
Old 03-15-2010, 02:00 PM
TECH Resident

Smile

Just wanted to thank you all for your replys.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

stock output shafts
Old 03-15-2010, 11:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 91 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
Personally grinding slots in the rear sun gear in my opinion is BS! In all my years I have never done this and personally I think it is just something to add to a build list to appear as this is a state of the art mod! I read others build sheets and laugh at the wording in order to appear as if something really special has been done. When in reality in my opinion it really means nothing.

This might have helped in the early 700r4 transmissions where the lube flow was less but in a 96 and later 4l60E I do not see the reason for it. Also early 700r4 pressure regulator valves were different and the later ones were changed to increase lube oil that was taken from main line pressure. Another worthless plug that does not apply to later units that already have flats on the PR valve.

Keep in mind that these advertisement plugs have been used for 25 years of the existence of the 4l60. Just goes to show what really helps sell transmissions. Kind of a baffle them with BS sales technique!

When I have seen units with the blued pinion gears I think cooler flow pressure might have been more of an issue. A restricted cooler/low pressure or worn bushings would be where it was lost.

Another issue would be if the pinion gears were worn or had some play in them when the unit was built and just failed.

The sunshell can be upgraded with a beast shell and the 3-4 clutch pack can be updated by installing 4l65E clutches. This can be set up with a 7 or 8 pack depending on the thickness of the steels and also the pressure and apply plates. Another good thing to do is to install a wide band and if your transmission has plastic accumulator pistons replace them with aluminum ones.

This is just my view so take it for what it is worth. Good luck with your build and if you decide to get a new unit feel free to give us a call to go over your build. Vince

www.finishlinetrans.com 1-630-350-7776
Vince is spot on. Not that he needs me to back him up, but some of the build lists are a joke. I get a particularly good laugh out of some when they can't even get the part names correct.
2-4 band in a 200-4R?
Old 03-16-2010, 05:57 AM
TECH Resident

2-4 band in a 200-4R
Now, if I had known I would of then looked to see what who else offer this upgrade ! lol Thanks for the info
Old 03-16-2010, 06:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One other thing that i have had broken on two different 4l60e's on top of what has been mentioned is the single cage sprag. I dont know how common they are on breaking but have ran into two incedents.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:21 PM
10 Second Club

what about 700+rwhp and some 9sec passes 3300lb. i started my build with my 4l60 behind a stock short block..**** happened and will be forged.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:40 PM
TECH Addict

foward sprags...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What in the 4L60E breaks?