Sponsored by:

Converter snout too big?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 12:45 AM
D79
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Converter snout too big?

I have a TH-350 transmission that I bought a aftermarket stall converter. I can not get the aftermarket converter engage or even clear the front pump cover. Its almost like the snout on the converter is too thick. I already sent it back to have it fixed and it still wont clear. I can get the stock one and my friends aftermarket converter to engage with no problem.

Any ideas or tips?
Old 03-19-2010, 06:18 AM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Not entirely sure what you are asking. But here are some dimensions for a 350 converter.

Hub = 1.875 - the part that goes into the trans pump
Pilot = 1.702 - the part that goes into the engine crank
OAH = 6.125-6.175 - over all height - from hub to mounting pad

If you have a spare pump gear you could check the hub to make sure it is round.

Hope this helps.

Chris
Old 03-19-2010, 01:59 PM
D79
On The Tree

Actually that will help a bit.

Im asking why does the stock converter and my friends aftermarket converter go onto my transmission perfect but when I try my aftermarket converter does it does not fit. It just sits on the front pump cover bushing/seal.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:19 PM
D79
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Bro Inc
Is it really bigger than the seal, or thats just where it stops?
It might just need some force since the new one has new parts that fit tighter.
Was a new pump bushing installed, sometimes they are tight too.

Are you sure you don't have a th350c?

Any pics?

The th350/400 pump hub is the biggest one used on the popular GM transmissions.

Is your pump aluminum or iron?
The transmission is rebuilt and does have a new bushing. I am sure its not a "c" I had the transmission up on its end and pushing on the converter and it still would not go past the front pump cover. Ive taken a rubber mallet to it with no success. So today I took the transmission and converter down to a local transmission shop and they couldn't get it on either. They then brought out one of their converters and of course it goes on in seconds.

I would take some pictures but I already sent the converter back to the manufacturer. Its not a cheap TCI converter either...

Id imagine its an iron pump
Old 03-19-2010, 10:23 PM
D79
On The Tree

The bushing was driven in crooked. Half way into my 45 minute test drive to work the bushing walked out and opened up the seal causing fluid loss and a small fire on the header.

Even if it hasn't I'd maybe suggest the converter butcher give you a free $3 bushing and $5 seal for your trouble.

This thread has me curious, who can't build a th350 converter these days?
This is exactly why i didn't put too much *** into it.

Ill request that along with some other things since this is the 2nd time I've had to send it back.

Its a precision industries converter. I don't think they make a bad product i think its just my luck
Old 03-20-2010, 01:07 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it a converter from Neal Chance by chance? we had this happen and had to send one back 3 times before they finally got one that fit. the Notches on the converter were too small and would not engage, something about shirking during some process. IDK.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:38 AM
D79
On The Tree

Originally Posted by D79
Its a precision industries converter.
^^^
Originally Posted by camscam02
Is it a converter from Neal Chance by chance? we had this happen and had to send one back 3 times before they finally got one that fit. the Notches on the converter were too small and would not engage, something about shirking during some process. IDK.
It doesnt even fit through the pump cover hole where the input shaft comes out so i have no idea if the notches are the right size
Old 03-20-2010, 01:41 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh I got it now. Well yea, looks like you will be sending it back. Im not sure how converter companies seem to mess things up but it does happen.

good luck.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:22 AM
D79
On The Tree

Originally Posted by camscam02
Oh I got it now. Well yea, looks like you will be sending it back. Im not sure how converter companies seem to mess things up but it does happen.

good luck.
its on its way now.
Thanks man. Ill be sure to let everyone know how it turned out with build thread
Old 03-20-2010, 10:25 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you tried to stand the trans on the output shaft and try to install the converter? This in some cases will help.

The issue you might be having might not be the converter hub. A couple of things to consider.

How was the bushing installed? I always use a press to install these. If the bushing was installed using a bushing driver and a hammer, it might be mushroomed a bit on the edge. This will make the inner diameter of the bushing smaller than it would normally be. With the hub being new the tolerance might be on the tight side.

Also does your unit have an after market input shaft in it? I have found with a new converter and it's components, sometimes the splines might be on the tight side.

In order to properly diagnose this the pump and the input drum will need to be removed to check the converter hub and it's other components.

Do you have any pictures of the converter and the trans?
Old 03-20-2010, 01:27 PM
D79
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
Have you tried to stand the trans on the output shaft and try to install the converter? This in some cases will help.

How was the bushing installed? I always use a press to install these. If the bushing was installed using a bushing driver and a hammer, it might be mushroomed a bit on the edge. This will make the inner diameter of the bushing smaller than it would normally be. With the hub being new the tolerance might be on the tight side.

Also does your unit have an after market input shaft in it? I have found with a new converter and it's components, sometimes the splines might be on the tight side.

In order to properly diagnose this the pump and the input drum will need to be removed to check the converter hub and it's other components.

Do you have any pictures of the converter and the trans?
I did stand the transmission up on the output shaft and try to get the converter on that way with no luck.

It was put on with a bushing driver and hammer

It has the factory input shaft on it.

I do not have any pictures of the converter. I already shipped it back for them to fix it...hopefully. I have the transmission in garage though.
I have seen/put 3 other converters onto my transmission. 1 factory and 2 aftermarket converters went on with no trouble at all

Thanks for all the replies.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

i would mic the snout for roundness-years ago i bought a "bargain" converter, it was so out of round it would not go in-sent it back and bought a good one
Old 03-26-2010, 10:33 PM
D79
On The Tree

To let everyone know I talked to precision on Wednesday and they just told me they were just going to give me a whole new converter. They over-nighted it to me and it showed up today. It was such a relief to hear clunk-clunk-clunk. It fit perfect. Now to put the drive train in.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:05 PM
D79
On The Tree

Good to know. Good luck.
thanks, we all know ill need it