Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

will a stall eat my tires off?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will a stall eat my tires off?

here is the deal; i have a mildly bolted car and i have been reccomended the SS3200 from yank. the trans is still stock and has 95k on it.

i would like some more performance but i feel a stall will just let me blow out the street tires. and actually kill my streetability? as it stands now if i brake up and launch i will spin the **** out of em now,... if i just drop the brake at the light and stab the gas i will launch decent and no spin..... isnt the real performance NOT spinning as the other guy leaves?

i have no plans on slicks or bigger tires and no NOS,... only mod i plan in the future is MAYBE 3.73 gears.. mine already has 3.23..

thanks for the info
Old 03-21-2010, 10:21 PM
11 Second Club

well i have a circle-d 3-3200 stall with 3.42 gears at the moment with almost bald snow tires and have no real problems yet i assume with the 3.73 i had in before hand(blown pinion) i would have major traction issues. with just the 3.73 i had traction problems on the street. but with a decent street tire and not tryin to smoke them you should be fine plus the feel of a stall is great i say go for it.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:08 PM
yak
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

personal experience 60' on street tires before converter 2.04 60' after converter on street tires; 2.28 60' after radials on stock rims 1.67

live and learn
Old 03-22-2010, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

You are going to have traction problems with any stall you go to with street tires from a dig IMO.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you switch to a stall get ready to blow the transmission when it hooks up. The increased stall will increase your torque multiplication, the sun housing will shear off first.

If you can not afford new drag radials to make the stall hook, then you will not be able to afford popping the trans.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:19 PM
Teching In

all this above =s TRUE.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At the track or on the street you will have traction problems with a stall with regular street tires.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:12 PM
On The Tree

i never said i cant afford em fellas i said i dont want em. i run street 99% of the time. i just dont have the fever enough to run 2 sets of tires for go and show.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My point was not really about your finances, it was really about you should know with a stall you are going to stress the transmission more (if you do hook up) and if you have a stock A4 with the miles on it you say it has, you should expect the trans to fail quickly. The stock trans has a wimpy sun shell housing in it that will normally break first, it is the weakest link in the 4L60E. You should be prepared to have the trans rebuilt with better parts. If you want to minimize your head aches, it would be a good idea to have someone like PB or FLT rebuild your trans before you put the convertor in. It would be a shame to not only have your trans fail but even a worst shame to have the trans fail and it cause damage to your new stall.

Also keep in mind if you are racing from a role, a higher stall convertor will be at a disadvantage, it will eat up allot of your HP, a higher stall is great at the track were you can really utilize the torque multiplication getting you out of the hole.

As for your question, yes it will help the car to launch harder and in doing so you will find it easier to spin the tires so yes it will reduce the life of your tires. In normal driving it will not cause extra wear on your tires.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:25 PM
On The Tree

thank you sir that is much more understandable. i had guessed altho i had not really mentioned that i was going to include a stall in my rebuild. i was wondering where the stock trans would leave me. i had imagined in my mind that the build and stall take place in bout 4 months. trans is actin strange now. but that was my main concern is how will a stall affect street tires, since i have no desire to run slicks of anykind. so far the car does quite nicely for the bolt ons i have. i would like to get my car in the 8.00-8.20 range in the 1/8th mile... i sit at 8.71 now..... i figured for an everyday driver and maybe monthly trip to the track an 8 second car would be plenty for my taste.

thanks for the info
Old 03-23-2010, 06:59 AM
Teching In

if this car sees the street 99% of the time you shouldthink about drag radials for the rear tires. if your running a stock wheel you should be able to find a size that fits. i know plenty of people that use drag radials all througout the year on daily driving cars. yes you will go through tires a bit more depending on driving but you wont have any traction issues. i run BFG D.R. on my car and it does sufficiant for me.

in a sense you get the best of both worlds. good to decent traction and drivablilty.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by JScamaro
You are going to have traction problems with any stall you go to with street tires from a dig IMO.
I agree. I have had a 3200 and a 4k and both would eat street tires for breakfast. But when it does hook, it's INSANE.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:33 PM
On The Tree

thanks fellas... i may look into some drag radials i seen a few good things bout em in reviews