Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken input shaft?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 02:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken input shaft?

I have newbie transmission question that maybe someone can help me with. I recently had the 4l60e in my z71 silverado rebuilt at the dealer due to losing 3rd gear completely while towing a boat and because the vehicle has over 200 K. Everything was working fine for about 100 miles, then one day with no warning while on the freeway vehicle the vehicle stopped accelerating. When I pulled over the truck had lost ever gear except for park. When the truck was put into gear it would just rev up with no movement. I pulled the plug off the service port on the side of the transmission and found zero line pressure in any gear. My next question is will the torque converter spin if the output shaft is broken? Also if the output shaft broke will it take out the pump 100 percent? Thanks for any responses
Old 03-22-2010, 02:36 PM
Teching In

Also dropped the pan to check for any metal and changed the filter thinking the maybe the filter was clogged and no metal in the pan
Old 03-22-2010, 03:38 PM
Teching In

The truck is a 95 and uses the obd 1 ecm. The cooler cooler lines are super clean and the pan, valve body look like brand new. If the converter failed or had left over clutch stuck in it could it cause the pump to fail. Also no loud bang when if failed, just a silent slip into nothing then the rpm's jumped.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:43 PM
Teching In

I am assuming that they reused the old torque converter when they rebuilt it at the dealership, never was billed for a new one. Just wondering if they reinstalled the torque converter incorrectly and broke or sheared the shaft or old cutch junk got stuck inside of the shaft and took the pump out. Looks like calling I am calling AAA for a tow back. Keep you posted
Old 03-25-2010, 12:07 AM
Teching In

thats what i thought in mine same exact problem. when i pulled my trans it looked fine but i was told to inspect the transmission pump there sould be two tabs that sick out you should be able to see them around the shaft. what happened on mine was i sheared both those off sooo no pump means no gear thats were i would start

Quick Reply: Broken input shaft?