Sponsored by:

Trans cooler mounted under car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trans cooler mounted under car?

Will I have any issues if I ran my transmission cooler here:

It's actually not that low. The torque arm cross member is 1/4" lower than the cooler when it's completely vertical. I could even put an angle on it and make an air dam to scoop some air.

The reason I'm trying to relocate my cooler is because I have lots of turbo parts up front. My exhaust runs right where the stock cooler lines run up to the radiator. The downpipe exits on the drivers side, so I have the complete passenger side free. Yes I could have flexible tubing snake around up to the radiator if I wanted, but this way seems simple. What do you all think?
Old 03-24-2010, 07:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

that loop is gonna rub thru on the ground, lol
i would flip it 180 deg, tilt the upper part more to the front (more of an angle) and run the lines along the floor
On my Chevelle, i mounted it up front, right below the front bumper, along the frame rail, at a slight angle-because of the intercooler, couldnt mount it in front of the radiator-the trans temp stays around 160, been like that for a couple years, 4L80E with a high stall
i used the B&M cooler with the 1/2" fittings, made it easier to make 45 or 90 deg inlets
you can get coolers with fans, but prob more of a race thing, unless you used the fan only when needed
Old 03-24-2010, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by forcd ind
that loop is gonna rub thru on the ground, lol
i would flip it 180 deg, tilt the upper part more to the front (more of an angle) and run the lines along the floor
On my Chevelle, i mounted it up front, right below the front bumper, along the frame rail, at a slight angle-because of the intercooler, couldnt mount it in front of the radiator-the trans temp stays around 160, been like that for a couple years, 4L80E with a high stall
i used the B&M cooler with the 1/2" fittings, made it easier to make 45 or 90 deg inlets
you can get coolers with fans, but prob more of a race thing, unless you used the fan only when needed
That's exactly how I was thinking about mounting it. The lines at the top running along the floor. If I put an angle on it, I could tie the bottom right to the sub-frame connectors. How it's hanging in the picture was just for demonstration.

I honestly don't see having it on the radiator will be any better in my situation. I have an intercooler and tubing all up there. Plus all the heat from the radiator and intercooler. I'm not ruling anything out. I just know I would have to be creative with routing lines to the front radiator.

I could get a new cooler with a fan on it if I needed. A couple hundred bucks more than what I already have into this car is no biggie.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:00 AM
10 Second Club

I'm trying to find a new place too. Do it like the a lot of drag cars run it in the rear with a small fan.. if your worried about getting to hot from turbo stuff, you dont want the tranny to go and get fluid all over up hot pipes and then front and rear tires...then you hit the wall.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:07 AM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd lay it flat and put a fan on it.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

How about now?
Old 03-27-2010, 04:48 PM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not quite the fan I'd expect but its getting better I'll take a pic of how mine is setup in the mustang.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeh it's a little ghetto for my taste. The fan was free so I just tried it out. As far as functionality, it will have no problem keeping the tranny cool once I put on a 180 degree thermostat that will cut the fans on. It just doesn't look very nice. But it is tucked above the sub-frame connectors like that.

So it's either this or buy the $220 b&m cooler with fan and thermostat.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:08 PM
10 Second Club

Heres a pic of how i mounted mine.

Its right behind the passenger side rear floor board. I have a 1600 cfm perma cool fan on it. Since my battery is in the back, I wired in a relay and used the fuel pump signal wire as my on/off. So far so good.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:53 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say no, but looking at the last few pictures, it does not look like a bad idea.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Minshall
Heres a pic of how i mounted mine.

Its right behind the passenger side rear floor board. I have a 1600 cfm perma cool fan on it. Since my battery is in the back, I wired in a relay and used the fuel pump signal wire as my on/off. So far so good.
Do you have your fan setup as a puller or pusher?
Old 05-30-2012, 07:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

2 years later...
Old 05-30-2012, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mjs1012
2 years later...
Lol. Here's to 2 years later

Quick Reply: Trans cooler mounted under car?