Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60E gurus needed!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 02:05 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60E gurus needed!

Ok i did an m6 to a4 swap in my fiancees 98 camaro... i used the engine/4l60e harness and PCM from my 98 TA...

I left the M6 dash harness there... what do i need to do to get the converter to unlock and to get the trans to shift???

The converter is locked all the time, even when the brake is pushed. Also it will shift to second gear and then not shift again.

I know its a wiring issue just not sure what needs to be done.... I read the a4 to m6 and m6 to a4 converision... if i dont have the shifter pigtails all wired up will this cause the tranny to not shift and not unlock the converter? I assumed it was just for the backup lights and stuff...

Any help is appreciated! THANKS GUYS!!!
Old 03-27-2010, 03:11 PM
Restricted User

yes i did a write entire with a stock 98 a4 tune...

i scanned a log and its not reading the Vehicle speed sensor..... so thats probably why the car isn't shifting past 2nd gear... but i dont think that explains the converter being locked while at a stop with the brake applied...
Old 03-27-2010, 03:46 PM
Restricted User

I put in a4 pedals and hooked up the sensors/switches on the brake peddal and taped the clutch sensor/switch closed... also there was a connector down there i put a jumper wire into so the car would start...
Old 03-27-2010, 03:56 PM
Restricted User

what all is needed for the 4l60E to operate correctly? I have the a4 engine harness, a4 tuned pcm, m6 interior harness....

what wiring needs to be altered/modified on the m6 dash harness for the 4l60e??????
Old 03-27-2010, 05:11 PM
Restricted User

The A4 harness has:
3 pigtails 2 switches all on brake (top switch has pigtail 2 wires, bottom switch has pigtail 4wires and pigtail 2 wires)

The M6 harness has:
3pigtails 3 switches... clutch 1 pigtail 4 wires, brake 2 wire pigtail on top switch and 2wire pigtail on bottom switch

What does the 4 wire pigtail on the bottom brake switch do?

Because the m6 harness doesnt have that 4 wire pigtail for the bottom switch on the brake like the A4 harness does.....
Old 03-27-2010, 07:27 PM
Restricted User

OK new question... does the tranny even need any of the peddal and shifter sensors to shift all the way through the gears????? becuase mine is only shifting 1-2.... will it shift 1-2 even without the harness connected????

I DID THIS:

First you need to make a determination if your looking at a trans or a pcm or wiring issue the latter wiring being most likley with a m6 to a4 conversion.
I would set this test up to see whats being comanded if your having to do this on your own ,
1- In the trans harness find the yellow wire with a black stripe and the lt green wire.
2-Get 2 12 volt leds from radio shack one gree and one red,
3Get about 15 feet of wire and some splice connectors the ones you dont have to cut the wire to use.
4-spice the negative side of the green one to the light green wire and the other side to the fuse box 12vusing a length of wire to get in the car with te leds
5-Do the same with the red one but on the yellow wire with the black stripe.
Drive car if the PCM is working right and the wiring is correct you should see.

1-both on
2-green off - red one
3-both off
4-green on and red off

If this happens then you have a issue with the trans if they dont happen like this when you drive then you have and issue with the PCM or harness and will be able to tell where you need to look.

Frank at PerformaBuilt

The led lights are doing just as stated as above.... and it looks like the pcm is telling the tranny to shift.....

i know the trans shifted when i put it away, but that was several months ago, and it was stored with no fluid....

should i be looking at shift solenoids or what???? maybee ill check the trans connections first..... maybee they arent getting connvection???
Old 03-28-2010, 12:01 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Bro Inc
I give up on the pedals and wiring, I looked at my spare switches, looked at my M6 converted car and my A4 car. Nothing to tell you from that.

Now, I remember you had sort of a tuning ad in your signature earlier. What are you tuning with?
I use hp tuners, with it I can manually shift it down the road and scan for codes etc.

But most of all, if you're tuning stuff haven't you ever noticed how many tables reference MPH?
If you have no VSS signal your trans is not going to make the shifts and lock up at the right mph. Thats a big one, you know you have no vss signal, fix that first.
And to unlock the tcc, un-tie the wires from the clutch pedal switch. the top connector on the lower brake pedal switch should have a brown wire and brown with white stripe wire going to it. Thats whats suppose to unlock the tcc.
I use Hptuners and yes i scanned for codes, came up with nothing, thats the first thing i did.

Yes you are correct there are tables that reference mph. It wont log from the vehicle speed sensor but will log with the SAE Vehicle speed PID... speedo also works.... i directly tested the vss return to the pcm and it is also showing consistant voltages with vehicle speeds.... just wont log with the vehicle speed "sensor" selected instead of SAE vehicle speed PID.... weird huh

I directly tested the pcm harness with leds while driving... the pcm is commanding the shifts but they are not happening...

I unplugged the wring harness from the trans and it was still in second, i think it should be in 3rd without the harness not 2nd so its more than likely a hydrolic issue.

Im gonna pull the tranny tomarrow and see whats up... the thing is the harness/trans/pcm all came off my ta when i went to th400 and it all worked fine months ago.

i will update...

Last edited by 1BAD_LS1; 03-28-2010 at 12:52 AM.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:30 PM
Restricted User

well all the solenoids and force motor and everything click when given power.... the valvebody and valves and springs all seem ok....

guess ill put it back together and check for pcm signal at the harness plug instead of the wires right off the pcm.... maybee i knocked a wire loose

F*ck idk starting to get pissed lol...
Old 04-02-2010, 11:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BAD_LS1
The A4 harness has:

What does the 4 wire pigtail on the bottom brake switch do?
PLEASEEEEE HELPPP i need this exact same question anwsered ASAP
Old 04-17-2010, 12:19 AM
On The Tree

I did the exact same thing to my car it is a 98 also. I dont think wiring is your issue. I used an a4 engine harness too and the only connectors I hooked up on the pedal were the clutch start switch to the shifter and the brake light switch. I had pcmforless put the a4 program in and my car shifts perfectly with a 4000 stall Yank. The only issue I have is I think the converter is locking at idle my car surges from 800 to 1300 and the car wants to move, if I step on the brake the car dies. Whats weird though is after the car warms up its fine and doesnt do it after that. I also wanted to ask if you hooked up your reverse lights yet? I have searched the site for hours but cant find where to hook the wires off the shifter to. I looked through the wiring diagrams and found the reverse lights run through connector c400 on a 98. I havent found it yet just wondering if you did or did you hook them up some other way? Thanks, Joe
Old 04-17-2010, 12:27 AM
On The Tree

Heres a link to the pics of the pedal switches and the wiring schematic. If you look at connector c400 you can see the reverse lights run through there.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...es-pedals.html
Connector Part Information c400
6-Way M Metri-Pack 150 Series (GRY)
Connector Part Information
6-Way F Metri-Pack 150 Series (GRY)

Pin
Wire Color
Circuit No.
Function
Pin
Wire Color
Circuit No.