4L80E harness with 4L60E trans? - LS1TECH

Go Back   LS1TECH > CHASSIS, SUSPENSION, APPEARANCE > Automatic Transmission
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


Automatic Transmission
4L60E | 4L80E | TH350 | TH400 | TH2004R | Powerglide | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by
PerformaBuilt Transmissions

4L80E harness with 4L60E trans?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-30-2010, 07:58 AM   #1
Staging Lane
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 54
Default 4L80E harness with 4L60E trans?

My swap is an '01 6.0 from a 2500 HD 4x4, with a 4l60E from an '05 van, into a '48 Diamond T pickup. I'm using the donor truck harness as a stand alone, with help from this board, the LT1swap site, and a buddy here who provided the GM factory schematics (I actually have TOO much information!). I have the ECM from the donor truck, and most of the harness.

What I don't have is info about the pin out for the trans plug. I have searched here and found pin outs and the pins to swap for the 4L60 to 4L80, but I'm going the other way. The trans plug physically plugs into the trans, but I know the 4L60 uses one speed sensor, and there is a white wire in it's pin connector the 4l80 does not use (according to the 4l60 to 4l80 swap pin connector I printed). I want to have the wiring completed before the engine/trans are installed, as it's much easier to access everything while the engine/trans are on the shop floor than in the truck.

I know it sound simple, but I want to make sure I have this figured out properly. Any help?

Brian
flynbrian48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:24 AM   #2
Gingervitis Addict
 
slow67's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 2
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: DFW
Posts: 2,404
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynbrian48 View Post
My swap is an '01 6.0 from a 2500 HD 4x4, with a 4l60E from an '05 van, into a '48 Diamond T pickup. I'm using the donor truck harness as a stand alone, with help from this board, the LT1swap site, and a buddy here who provided the GM factory schematics (I actually have TOO much information!). I have the ECM from the donor truck, and most of the harness.

What I don't have is info about the pin out for the trans plug. I have searched here and found pin outs and the pins to swap for the 4L60 to 4L80, but I'm going the other way. The trans plug physically plugs into the trans, but I know the 4L60 uses one speed sensor, and there is a white wire in it's pin connector the 4l80 does not use (according to the 4l60 to 4l80 swap pin connector I printed). I want to have the wiring completed before the engine/trans are installed, as it's much easier to access everything while the engine/trans are on the shop floor than in the truck.

I know it sound simple, but I want to make sure I have this figured out properly. Any help?

Brian
Yes you can. You might be able to use the wires/pins from the ISS to add the additional wires back into the main trans connector (since the 60E doesn't use an ISS).
slow67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:38 AM   #3
Staging Lane
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 54
Default

I guess I'm sure I can, but my question is, "how?". There's a white wire, which my 4L80 plug/harness does NOT have, in the "S" position in a 4L60 plug, which goes where? To what pin in the ECM does this go, and can I simply add it? Or is there a wire in the 4L80 plug I simply need to move, as in going from 4L60 to 4L80, which a brown wire I understand gets swapped into the position the missing white wire goes, that I can switch?

Brian
flynbrian48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:15 AM   #4
Gingervitis Addict
 
slow67's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 2
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: DFW
Posts: 2,404
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynbrian48 View Post
I guess I'm sure I can, but my question is, "how?". There's a white wire, which my 4L80 plug/harness does NOT have, in the "S" position in a 4L60 plug, which goes where? To what pin in the ECM does this go, and can I simply add it? Or is there a wire in the 4L80 plug I simply need to move, as in going from 4L60 to 4L80, which a brown wire I understand gets swapped into the position the missing white wire goes, that I can switch?

Brian
On the trans harness: Move pin "S" to "U"

Add wires: Pin C1 (blue connector) 78 to Pin "S" on trans connector.
Pin C2 (red connector) 42 to pin "T" on trans connector.

You will need to have the PCM reprogrammed for 4L80.
slow67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:35 AM   #5
Staging Lane
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 54
Default

You mean have the PCM reprogrammed for 4L60, since it's orginally programmed to operate the 4wd 4L80? I'm not meaning to sound dense, but I'm going FROM a 4L80 to a 4L60. ( I have the pin out to go from 4l60 to 4l80, which is not what I'm doing ) The VSS connecter, I'm assuming it was the rear one, in the harness (4l80) plugs into the 4L60 VSS sensor at the tailshaft, leaving the forward one unconnected?
flynbrian48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:41 PM   #6
Gingervitis Addict
 
slow67's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 2
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: DFW
Posts: 2,404
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynbrian48 View Post
You mean have the PCM reprogrammed for 4L60, since it's orginally programmed to operate the 4wd 4L80? I'm not meaning to sound dense, but I'm going FROM a 4L80 to a 4L60. ( I have the pin out to go from 4l60 to 4l80, which is not what I'm doing ) The VSS connecter, I'm assuming it was the rear one, in the harness (4l80) plugs into the 4L60 VSS sensor at the tailshaft, leaving the forward one unconnected?
Yes, you have to get the PCM reprogrammed to a 60E from an 80E and vice-versa. Whoever re-programs it also needs to know if it will be 2wd or 4wd with the 60E.

The pinouts above I gave are correct when going to a 60E from an 80E (if I said otherwise, that was a typo).

Pins C2 (red) 20 and 21 are for the Speedo (VSS). The wires in 22 and 23 are for the 80E ISS. You might be able to re-use these, and use those wires for the 2 wires you need to add above (I am unsure if the pins are the same between the ISS and trans connectors).
slow67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 03:04 PM   #7
Staging Lane
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 54
Default

Thanks, that helps! Good idea using the no longer needed ISS leads repositioned for the 4L60 "missing" wires...

Brian
flynbrian48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:21 PM   #8
Gingervitis Addict
 
slow67's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 2
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: DFW
Posts: 2,404
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynbrian48 View Post
Thanks, that helps! Good idea using the no longer needed ISS leads repositioned for the 4L60 "missing" wires...

Brian
Yeah I know the pins in the PCM will (obviously) work, but I don't know for sure if they work in the trans connector. If not, you can buy the pins individually (less than $1 a piece).
slow67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:11 AM   #9
11 Second Club
 
Agent_Orange_Shuvel's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 8
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Southern Idaho
Posts: 412
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow67 View Post
On the trans harness: Move pin "S" to "U"

Add wires: Pin C1 (blue connector) 78 to Pin "S" on trans connector.
Pin C2 (red connector) 42 to pin "T" on trans connector.

You will need to have the PCM reprogrammed for 4L80.
Not trying to revive a dead thread but figured I would make a correction for anyone referencing this thread as I did.

Pin S on the trans connector goes to C1(blue connector) Pin 79 not 78 as stated above.
__________________
70 Chevelle Restomod, 5.3 with S475, LS6 cam, 4L80E w/Circle D Pro multi-disk, Self-Tuned with EFILive
99 Sierra ECSB 5.3 EFILive, K&N Intake, and Flowmasters

Chevelle Build Thread:http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...wap-turbo.html
Agent_Orange_Shuvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:11 AM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird




Paid Advertisement
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
familiar with gen IV truck wiring? I need E38/6L80E wiring help ShawnQ Conversions & Hybrids 5 11-20-2014 11:34 AM
NEED HELP! 4l80e trans wiring pinned to 4l60e ecu 5.0 LsX Automatic Transmission 2 12-28-2013 09:36 PM
4.8L/4l80e swap...Trans Range sensor? jay_rich Conversions & Hybrids 0 11-27-2013 11:47 AM
4L80e PWM BBC632Camaro Automatic Transmission 3 04-22-2012 08:49 PM
wiring harness mess -> too many harnesses! PLEASE HELP! FastKat Conversions & Hybrids 9 10-18-2005 12:33 PM


Tags
11, 4l60, 4l60e, 4l80, 4l80e, connector, ecm, gm, pin, pinout, pinouts, plug, swap, switch, trans


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



Join Ls1Tech

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Service - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - JOBS
Emails & Contact Details