Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TH400 Guys(help)come in again!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 02:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TH400 Guys(help)come in again!!!

Please tell me if I did something wrong here....I have a Spohn K-member,control arms and solid motor mounts also from Spohn. The Th400 crossmember is from BMR. I have about 1 1/2 inches from the bottom of the trans mount to the crossmember. And with the solid motor mounts its not going to move that much. For ***** and giggles I installed the driveshaft to see if it would fit. It hits the top of the loop because the trans is to high,what am I doing wrong here???? Seems everything should come down an 1 1/2 to 2 inches.
Attached Thumbnails TH400 Guys(help)come in again!!!-dscf1444.jpg   TH400 Guys(help)come in again!!!-dscf1446.jpg  

Last edited by 1999WHITEFRC; 04-10-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:39 PM
10 Second Club

Ok heres a question for the TH400 people,What motor mounts are you using? Because at this point after thinking it over thats the only thing I think could be causing this. If im wrong someone please correct me.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:00 PM
On The Tree

in the swap guide it says you're suppose to run a 1" spacer between the mount and tranny on the stock crossmember to boost the tailhousing up... with the solid mounts probably raising the engine an inch or so you now have to make up that distance with a spacer more then likely.

I'll be doing the same swap in a month or so... putting a TH400 behind my LS with solid mounts and i even ordered the UMI crossmember with torque arm relocation plate hoping i wouldnt have to make a spacer, but judging by your pics im gonna have to make that spacer.

You may also have to cut off the loop and fab it up in the right spot...
Old 04-10-2010, 11:06 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BenLaz
in the swap guide it says you're suppose to run a 1" spacer between the mount and tranny on the stock crossmember to boost the tailhousing up... with the solid mounts probably raising the engine an inch or so you now have to make up that distance with a spacer more then likely.

I'll be doing the same swap in a month or so... putting a TH400 behind my LS with solid mounts and i even ordered the UMI crossmember with torque arm relocation plate hoping i wouldnt have to make a spacer, but judging by your pics im gonna have to make that spacer.

You may also have to cut off the loop and fab it up in the right spot...
Its to close for me,What about header clearance? I didnt even put them on yet. I bet theres going to be an issue there also. Seems useless to even use them if it makes everything else have clearance issues. Why would I want to modify my exhaust,driveshaft loop,and crossmember mount? Even if I cut the loop,its all but against the floor to begin with if I remember correctly? I might as well not even have it then. How am I going to move it up if theres no room. Just seems like alot of work for a set of solid motor mounts. I wish someone would chime in that has done this swap with the same parts.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:38 PM
On The Tree

I just finished my swap but i do not have sloids i have the polu energy mounts...I used teh spacer in the trans mount also and havent had any problems.But iam also using my stock m6 crossmember for mock up work and bought a bmr track pack trq arm tunnel mounted setup so i didnt have to deal with those stock style trq arms. I would try the 1' spacer to see if that helps you out and also if u have the ears on the bellhousing of the trans i would cut those off the are useless and the header will smash on to it if u dont cut the ears off.So do that and have more room for clearance. If you have any other ??? just give me a holla im not the smartest or best detailer but i did just finish my swap and have a few friends with same similar th400 swaps too
Old 04-11-2010, 07:59 PM
10 Second Club

Just to give everyone a heads up,I had sent some pics to Steve Spohn over the weekend through the tech e-mail on his web site. And I just got a response from him. Im going to try and get over to my car tomorrow night and do what he suggested. Thanks Steve!
Old 04-20-2010, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry just saw this thread...

Wanted to make sure you know that's a UMI not BMR crossmember...

We have not had any kind of compatibility issue with Steve's parts in the past.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:53 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BMR Tech
Sorry just saw this thread...

Wanted to make sure you know that's a UMI not BMR crossmember...

We have not had any kind of compatibility issue with Steve's parts in the past.
Gotcha,I forgot to reply back when I found out it was a UMI. I bought it used,but new from someone off the forum,and I forgot whos it was Thanks for the reply!