Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque Convertor not moving much

Old 04-16-2010, 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Torque Convertor not moving much

I got a 1999 4L60e tranny bolted to my 2004 5.3 and was attempting to bolt the TC to the Flywheel.

My flywheel moves freely and there is at least a 1/4" gap between the TC and flywheel so nothing seems to be binding.

Transmission is in neutral but my TC won't budge more than 2-3" in either direction. What little bit it does move it moves freely but then "stops" ..... something is stopping it from going farther. It won't cycle all the way around.

Could it be possible that even though it appeared to lock in place when I installed the Torque convertor that I didn't allow it to spin and go in far enough? That maybe I missed that last "click"

Could this be the problem with it not spinning freely?
Old 04-16-2010, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Make sure your not hanging up on any bolts, bolt heads etc... and if you're spinning the converter while it's attached to the flexplate, make sure the bolt heads are not contacting the block or anything like that. The converter should be engaged according to your clearance between the converter pads and flexplate. It should spin freely.
Hope it's something simple..
Old 04-16-2010, 09:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks, I'm actually trying to spin the TC around just to install the three bolts to the flexplate

I went out to my shop a few minutes ago and seperated the transmission from the block to get access to the torque converter.

I was able to move it back and try to spin and re-seat it and when it clicked as far as it would go it did the same thing again, moving a little and then stopping.

Is it possible that the torque converter is bad? Or could it be the pump?

I'm going to drop the tranny out tomorrow and try to re-seat the TC again, I'm not hearing the three clicks I'm supposed to be getting when trying to install it.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've also watched some videos of people installing the TC on the bench and everytime the TC would spin freely no matter if it was fully engaged or on the still first set of splines.

As soon as mine gets to the point where it appears to be all the way in, it will only rock back and forth freely and not actually spin.

This is telling me that once the TC notches line up with the notches on the pump....that's when stops spinning....basically it seems like the pump is what is causing it to bind, maybe it's stuck?
Old 04-17-2010, 09:46 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bro Inc
When you get it out take a long skinny screw driver and try to move the pump with it through the seal area.
It sounds like a pump problem to me.
That's good advise. Hopefully the pump was not damaged when the transmission bell housing was bolted to the motor. I have seen this happen more times than I care to remember.

As far as the "three clicks" you may not always hear this when installing a converter and personally the term was never used. You need to measure to make sure that it is fully seated before bolting the engine and trans together. Then you need to measure the converter to flexplate before bolting the two as well. Do a search on a thread that I started call torque converter installations. It will cover many questions that you might have and has help many with their installs. Vince
Old 04-17-2010, 12:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok, got the tranny out and inspected the pump, it looks like the pins were sheared, I'm going to go ahead and replace the pump. I'm sure I didn't dop it because I was really careful not to make that mistake due to it happening to me on my corvette

I found a thread on a another forum that made it look pretty easy, simple as removing the bellhousing, the bolts on the pump and sliding a new one in.

Is it that simple?

Last edited by 1976CamaroGuy; 04-17-2010 at 12:15 PM.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm going to replace the whole assembly, I just bought a used one from a guy on eBay for $40 shipped.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=350310209288

I'm going to need to buy a special Torx T-50 socket to remove the bellhousing and the cheapest one I have found so far is $23 shipped.

Search this Thread