Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

700R4 Output shaft Sleeve (is it needed?) Help Car under knife and I'm ready to race)

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 01:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 700R4 Output shaft Sleeve (is it needed?) Help Car under knife and I'm ready to race)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Coan Street/Strip 700R4. Seemed like there was a little too much play in the tail housing, so I decided to replace the bushing and I needed to replace the speedo gears to match up with the 373 rear. Did that and starting putting on the drive shaft. It was just too hard to push up then bam, it was easy. Look up inside the tail housing and say the "output shaft sleeve had pushed back pushing the speedo drive gear back. Also noticed that inside the sleeve part of the bushing inside the sleve was messed up...so I removed the sleeve all together. In the Pontiac Manual it says some units came with these and some did not. Is it necesary to replace? I'm having a hard time understanding it's real purpose.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:22 PM
Teching In

Default yolk is an aftermarket (non-vented)

Yolk is an aftermarket (Non-vented). This is the only thing I could think tells me I don't need the sleeve. I'm guessing the sleeve keeps the tranny fluid from getting out the back side of the yolk
Old 05-03-2010, 07:24 AM
Launching!

Sounds like the sleeve w/o ring.You don't need that all it is for is to seal the yolk up if it has a hole in the back of it.

Quick Reply: 700R4 Output shaft Sleeve (is it needed?) Help Car under knife and I'm ready to race)