Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is needed to make custom transmission lines

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 10:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What is needed to make custom transmission lines

I have a 02 Trans Am. The way the factory transmission lines route it goes right through my procharger belt. I would hate to see what the belt could do to the lines if it broke, but my bigger issue is that everytime I change a belt for my procharger (been trying different pullies) I have to undo the lines to get the stupid belt off.

I would like to make or have made some transmission lines out of push lock fittings and hose if possible that goes straight to the cooler instead of routing under the oil pan and crank pulley, then back over.

Has anyone done this and if so what did you use and some pointers would be great. Thanks

Edit: If there is a thread with some usefull info. on this already please point me in the right direction. I couldn't find anything.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

saw one that was all stainless steel braided lines and AN fittings. Should be able to get it all at summit
Old 05-06-2010, 11:10 PM
12 Second Club

stainless steel line would work for me too. I guess my question is more or less how to connect the line to the piece that inserts into the transmission.?.?

Are people just cutting the line a little ways from the transmission and just hose clamping the line to whats left of the factory line or is there a better way?
Old 05-06-2010, 11:32 PM
TECH Regular

No do not cut the lines then clamp hose over top of them. You will have to replace the fittings on the trans to accomindate the hose.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:47 PM
12 Second Club

No do not cut the lines then clamp hose over top of them. You will have to replace the fittings on the trans to accomindate the hose.
Any reason why? Thats how my additional trans cooler is hooked in. Comes out of the stock cooler into the b&m. Its hosed clamped in with the hardware b&m sent with it. This isn't the way I want to do it and I agree that there is a better way, but I think the lines being flared and then hose clamped would work. Of course there might be reasoning that I am unaware of.

Do you have a part number for the fittings that go into the trans that allow hook up of an a/n fitting?
Old 05-07-2010, 12:06 AM
12 Second Club

I found this kit online, but i'm not sure if it will work with a 4l60e.

http://bowlertransmissions.com/item-details/?iid=27
Old 05-07-2010, 03:17 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah as long as you flare the ends, that would work. I was saying no dont just cut the lines then place a hose over them (without a flared end).

That kit looks pretty nice, you could do the same with some new fittings and braided hose, and probably for cheaper.

The 1/4 NPT fittings will work, Summit Part Number SUM-220647B then use 45 or 90 degree fitting SUM-220706-B or jsut go with SUM-220751.

Or you could just use 1/4 NPT to 5/16 (or 3/8) hose barb which is what I am using.

Last edited by 7th Darkness; 05-07-2010 at 05:10 AM.

Quick Reply: What is needed to make custom transmission lines