Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

high performance circle d 3200 stall 278mm

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 02:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default high performance circle d 3200 stall 278mm

hey im going to buy a converter but am on a budget.because i just bought my cam swap kit as well so i am considering the circle d high performance series 278mm im installing a 228r at the same time as the verter and also a shift kit and cooler just want to see who is running this converter??????? and how they hold up ??????and like it???????? and will it hold my cams power????? im thinking of a 3200 stall btw current gears on the car are 2.73s

thanks in advance!!!
Old 05-07-2010, 03:06 PM
11 Second Club

I used to have one before I went to a bigger stall. Overall, it was great...extremely tight converter and it did well for being such a small stall. I consistently cut low 1.7's to high 1.6 60's and this was all with stock internals. For my purposes it was great, but you may want to step up to a bigger stall now that you'll have a cam.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:58 PM
Launching!

i dont want to go eny bigger than 3200 because this is my daily driver so 3200 is my limit i hope it works well with my cam does anyone run a 3200 with a 228r???
Old 05-07-2010, 04:17 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh Jesus Christ.
The pig of a 278mm torque converter is NOT the answer. For them to call it High Performance, what a joke. It uses the same basic housing as the stock converter with a slightly smaller primary. There is NO WAY it will ever see 3200 RPM in a car that is making less than 500 rwhp. All that converter is is a take out from the TrailBlazer's inline 6 models. If they are claiming that high of a stall speed, they MAY have tipped the blades, but that weakens them and is NOT a good idea. It still won't give 3200 stall speed.

I just wish people knew how converters worked. Is stall important, yes. Is stall equal, NO. Even if they have mutilated the internals of that converter to get it close to 3200, you would get your *** handed to you by someone with a Yank 3200 in the 245mm model. Weight is one of the biggest factors in the gains you get from a torque converter. You shave about 20 lbs by going with a small diameter converter. That is 20 lbs that are bolted to the crankshaft. The engine spins faster and stays higher between gears. I am not saying that a 278mm converter from Yank wouldn't suck as much ***, but don't waste your money one a 278mm converter. You WILL regret it.

I've run something like 8 converters in my car, seen them built and I assure you you won't get the gains you are looking for with a 278mm torque converter.

And one last time: High Performance and 278 in the same sentence is bullshittery!

*edit*
If you are putting 3.73 gears in, you can go higher on stall speed and it will still feel great on the road. Get a Yank SS3600.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:50 PM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow, while I do agree with you on a few points. I think I need to step in here to explain some things. I have 2 different lines of converters HP or High Performance and our Pro Series. The HP series is a modified stock converter, just like you said. So in a 4L60 LS style trans, we get a 278mm core out of a TB 4.2 and do a few upgrades to it. It typically will flash to about 3000-3200. We have sold quite a few of these and have numerous satisfied customers. It will drive almost like a stock 300mm at light throttle. It is a nice upgrade for DD with a near stock cam. Probably the converter GM should have put in the F-Body.

Now as far as comparing it to our Pro series, big difference. Our Pro Series is our top of the line and custom made for each customer. The 278 weighs 44lbs and the 245mm Pro series is just over 30lbs. The 245mm will flash much faster and have better shift drops. It has a billet front so it is much stronger and more clutch surface area for lock up. For the cam the OP selected- 228R, the 245mm will definitely give him better performance. I would suggest a 3600 for optimum performance. But it depends on what he is looking for.

The 278mm is a viable option for some. We try to provide a complete line of converters for every customers needs.

Chris
Old 05-07-2010, 04:53 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 98z28jorge
hey im going to buy a converter but am on a budget.because i just bought my cam swap kit as well so i am considering the circle d high performance series 278mm im installing a 228r at the same time as the verter and also a shift kit and cooler just want to see who is running this converter??????? and how they hold up ??????and like it???????? and will it hold my cams power????? im thinking of a 3200 stall btw current gears on the car are 2.73s

thanks in advance!!!
I would love to help you select a converter. Please give me a call, shoot me a PM, or fill out my Ask Chris on my website.

Chris
Old 05-08-2010, 05:18 AM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are converters available that meet the needs for most every HP enthusiast. I have had the opportunity to run the budget style 278mm converter in our 2005 JGP Silverado. I did not want to spend a ton of money, but I wanted the truck to have more pep to it. It was a turd from the factory running only 15.3s in the 1/4 mile. After adding the 278mm converter CAI, UDP and a tune it ran 13.7s. The converter was the biggest improvement hands down. It would have netted better results with a Circle D 245mm or the 278 pro series, but the funds were not in the budget at the time. Sure we left some on the table and looking back, I should have waited and spent the $$ for the better piece. The truck was sure fun to drive compared to stock. We bracket raced it for 2 years and never hurt it.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:46 AM
Launching!

hey thanks guys i would love to get the billet series circle d or yank or vig but the money is weak right now because im doing a swap from my crashed camaro to a v6 firebird so while the motor is out i wanted to do the cam swap so i bought the kit with everything and now i dont have enough to get a pricey verter and the cooler and shift kit so thats why i wanted the hp series because it seems like a good bang for the buck thats why i am asking to see peoples experiences with it
Old 05-08-2010, 12:48 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yank. Hands down.
The photos that circle D show have no spring on the clutch. That is either cheap building or a misunderstanding of what the springs are for.
Precision Industries are overpriced and the stall speed ratings are weak.
With Yank you get a big clutch, but a factory assembly from the 10" converters that retains the springs on the clutch.

If it means keeping the car down for a couple more weeks, I would highly recommend saving for the Yank. You will get a quality converter that retains the springs on the clutch.

Get the Yank ss3600. Don't be afraid of the bigger stall. Your gears will make it so that you feel it a TON less. A 3200 with 3.23s should feel about like an SS3600 with 3.73s. Actually, the ss3600 should feel better with 3.73s than a 3200 with stock gears.

*edit*
It is too bad Fuddle took a **** on us. That was the best converter I ever owned. Clutch is huge, price was right and I am still locking mine at WOT with no problems.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:58 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by transsam
Yank. Hands down.
The photos that circle D show have no spring on the clutch. That is either cheap building or a misunderstanding of what the springs are for.
With Yank you get a big clutch, but a factory assembly from the 10" converters that retains the springs on the clutch.

If it means keeping the car down for a couple more weeks, I would highly recommend saving for the Yank. You will get a quality converter that retains the springs on the clutch.
I think you will be surprised to find that most of the big builders have moved to a billet piston for strength. It is actually more expensive to make than just using a stock clutch. I have seen numerous failures that us the OE clutch. It is not made to take the abuse and will flex under the higher HP. This causes the internal clearance to increase and bearings to drop off of their shoulders and kaboom, converter destroyed.

The springs are there to absorb engine NVH. But I can assure you there are thousands of the billet pistons out there from numerous manufacturers with great success.

I have no problem with you suggesting a competitors product, but lets use facts and current designs.

Chris
Old 05-09-2010, 10:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think there is a certain 1k hp corvette running a circle d in huston, My bo with his 580 hp gto has one aswell with lock up. Im getting one LMR recomended for my 80e 1.3k hp build.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:00 PM
11 Second Club

i have the converter you are looking at and love it my car is a dd and under normal driving it feels almost like stock i dont have a cam in my car so i cant say how it will work on that end but it really woke my car up i plan on getting track times soon.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:52 AM
Launching!

Yank. Hands down.

Get the Yank ss3600. Don't be afraid of the bigger stall. Your gears will make it so that you feel it a TON less. A 3200 with 3.23s should feel about like an SS3600 with 3.73s. Actually, the ss3600 should feel better with 3.73s than a 3200 with stock gears.

*edit*
It is too bad Fuddle took a **** on us. That was the best converter I ever owned. Clutch is huge, price was right and I am still locking mine at WOT with no problems.
How are they over priced? Thats what you pay for a billet converter just like the CD or PI multi disk converters are over $900. PI having weak stall? Please explain....

Last edited by caddy03pimpin; 05-11-2010 at 01:16 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:21 AM
Launching!

BTW to the OP.. I have the 228R cam in my truck and used to have a Vig 10.5" 3000 stall and it was okay but nothing like my new Vig 9.5" 3800. The 9.5" converter is a nite and day difference and is what you want in your car with the 228R cam. It has way better **** extensions, brake stall and acceleration. Good luck on your decision!
Old 05-11-2010, 09:21 AM
Banned

We have used a ton of circle d converters. I used their billet multi disc and it has survived anything i could throw at it. I now have a 4500 stall glide converter i will be testing shortly. So hands down Circle D.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:46 AM
12 Second Club

Circle d is going to be a better product then yank. Just call chris and tell him exactly how you want the car to perform and he will point you in the right direction
Old 05-11-2010, 12:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I dont own a circle d, may never as long as Yank gives me the converters that I need. However, this statement is way out of line. No one would ever listen to anyone saying our converter board sponsors are building a cheap POS. Our converter sponsors are top notch, and you're a fool. Good day.

Originally Posted by twitchtwice
Circle d is going to be a better product then yank. Just call chris and tell him exactly how you want the car to perform and he will point you in the right direction
Why would you think Yank, PI, or FTI couldnt do the same thing??
Old 05-11-2010, 12:56 PM
TECH Regular

I have a circle D converter also. I have not driven hard on it yet, but will be soon, it will be taking a major beating. I can tell you one thing though from dealing with circle D is that their customer service is TOP NOTCH! I owned a yank converter also previously. To the op I wouldn't let that guy turn you away from circle d they are a great company and awesome customer service... but I think I said that already.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:10 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
I dont own a circle d, may never as long as Yank gives me the converters that I need. However, this statement is way out of line. No one would ever listen to anyone saying our converter board sponsors are building a cheap POS. Our converter sponsors are top notch, and you're a fool. Good day.

Why would you think Yank, PI, or FTI couldnt do the same thing??
reason i say that is not to put down the other companies. but the thing with Circle d is that they have a way wider selection of converters to choose from. not just different stall speed. they have the a,b,c,d, and e converter series with any range of stall that you want. im sure FTI is about the same though because they seem to take a more custom rout like circled does.

i called chris and told him exactly what i wanted the car to perform like and he told me what stall to choose. then they started to build the converter to the exact specs i wanted. their customer service is also TOP NOTCH like ryan said. and it also doesnt hurt that their shop is within a 45 minute drive
Old 05-11-2010, 03:37 PM
Launching!

so what kind of gains would be expected from the 278mm 3200 stall thats really what i want to know and how is the driveability i going with circle d for sure but i want the 278mm because of my budget i mite even get a pro series but i really dont want to send 700+ on a verter when its a street car daliy driver

Quick Reply: high performance circle d 3200 stall 278mm