Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for new tranny, too many nitrous hits..

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 11:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for new tranny, too many nitrous hits..

Need advice on new built tranny for a heads/cam/intake LS1 maybe 425-440hp with a 150 plate.. Not a dd, just a toy. Will see abuse and some strip time..
Have been researching and reading.. Leaning towards PerfmaBuilt or FLT..
Maybe stage 4 4l60e from PFB, but was wanting to use a Yank3600. There
warranty is 2 years with their convertor and 1 year with others convertor..
FLT looks very nice as well, but the warranty isn't too good and seems
to have a huge "grey area" about coverage.. But they recomend Yank..
What have others done?? Any personal experience with either of the two??
Or have advice on other mfg's?? pm if neccessary.. Thanks, Mark
Old 05-29-2010, 11:24 PM
TECH Resident

You can't go wrong with either tranny. They both have been proven to hold up to mega amounts of abuse and keep going. I'm going performabuilt when mine decides to crap out.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:27 AM
11 Second Club

stage 4 performabuilt?? stage 2 is capable of 700hp.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:41 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks, I was leaning towards FLT, but the sketchy warranty has me concerened. Maybe Vince, will chime in..
Old 05-30-2010, 09:29 AM
10 Second Club

Stage 4 Performabuilt? We have a stage 3 PB 4L65E behind our 454, no issues.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:40 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I personally would not consider a unit with 4 pinion planets and a non sleeved input drum with the hp and nos that you are talking about. To me it just does not make sense. If and when you break a planet or drum you are going to tear that thing up. I guess that's where the warranty marketing strategy for them comes into play. Volume and numbers kind of thing.

Knowing what is spent in both transmissions I can see where they can offer the warranty that they do. Here at FLT we spend a good amount of money on your units. Also consider the custom and machined parts that I make or install each and every day that you do not get with others.

If warranty is what you are buying then so be it. We feel with what we do here the warranty is more than most performance parts offer. Keep in mind when you look at our build sheet the parts used are all listed plain as day. With others it is more of a build story and the parts used are really unclear. Not to mention in most cases the build story supplies consist of drill bits and a grinder. Or are things that have been used in marketing for years since the days of the 700r4.

Take our list and ask if you are receiving these parts. What does the shift kit actually consist of? Are you getting a new separator plate, internal electronics, new reverse input drum, custom valves, custom pistons, resurfaced machined performance pump, custom parts that require more than just a grinder......Then look at what it costs to build either product and what you are really buying?

If you are going to try to compare PB vs FLT I would look at their level 2 vs our level 3. In my opinion our level 3 is every bit of the trans and more. See below on the details on our builds. For the OP's car I would be looking beyond the level 4 but that's just me. I say this mainly if the NOS is going to be used on a regular basis. Below is something I posted a while back in another thread. Maybe this will help you with your decision.

In bold print on the list below are upgrades in the FLT level 4 over the FLT level 3.

Level 4
•FLT machined performance pump.
•Media blast case, bell housing, and tail housing to restore a new aluminum finish. Prep case for assembly.
•FLT sleeved input drum
•FLT billet aluminum overrun piston
•FLT beast shell kit w/bearing kit
•8 B/W hi-energy clutches w/koleen steels in 3-4 clutch
•Extra Wide Heavy Duty double caged 29 element sprag
•4L65 low roller clutch
•Transgo HD-2 shift kit
•Corvette servo
•Alto wide 2-4 red lined band with reinforced anchor
•Bushing kit
•New solenoids
•New Internal wire harness
•New GM Spacer plate
•B/W clutches
•Seal & gasket kit
•Filter
•Updated aluminum accumulator pistons
•FLT prepped valvebody with HD shift valve
•Set end play to FLT specs
•Case cooler fittings

Below in Bold print are things we do that I do not believe is done on all or any PB units.

Level 3
•FLT machined performance pump.
•Media blast case, bell housing, and tail housing to restore a new aluminum finish. Prep case for assembly.
•8 B/W hi-energy clutches w/koleen steels in 3-4 clutch

•Seal & gasket kit
•Bushing kit
•Alto wide 2-4 red lined band with reinforced anchor
•Bonded pistons/input drum
•Beast sun shell
•B/W 29 element sprag
•New BW 4L65 low roller clutch
•Transgo HD-2 shift kit
•Corvette servo
•New solenoids
•New internal wiring harness
•New GM Spacer plate
•B/W clutches
•Updated aluminum accumulator pistons
•FLT prepped valvebody
•Filter
•Set end play to FLT specs
•Case cooler fittings

One thing I notice when viewing PB's site is that you really do not get a list of what parts are going into their units. You do get the show and glow marketing. Some of the techniques mentioned on the site really in my opinion do not apply to later 4l60... series transmissions. Reason being is these are things that were corrected in the 700r4 many years ago. Mainly the lubrication in these units is what was addressed by GM.

These marketing techniques have been used to sell transmissions for almost 30 years. I personally for the buyer feel it is easier to see what parts you are getting in your rebuilt. Not the free mods that make it look like it is something special.

The last time we had one here, the shift kit in a PB unit was nothing more that a set of drill bits to modify the separator plate and a spring to block a lock up valve to eliminate the PWM function of the converter clutch. This costs virtually nothing but your paying for it. In our unit you are getting the TG shift kit, new valving for the 2-3 shift valve, abuse plugs, electronics, separator plate and internal wiring harness. How much does all this cost? Do the homework and figure it out!

Now there are some parts that they use that we do not because we do not believe in them. The second servo and the 3-4 clutch pack are the ones that really stand out to me. I years ago tested the same second servo and clutch combo, we saw many issues related to it. I feel a vet servo or a sonnax 2nd servo is plenty fine and we have tested both at 800+ rwhp applications and have not seen many band issues. That should tell you something.

Our units when you get them look new inside and out. No paint here! All units come complete as a bolt in application. Swapping bells and tails, rebuilding cooler fittings for the installer is just a hassle. We want to make the experience of one our customers as painless as possible. Not something that is like an erector set where you get to join in on the build.

When you look dollar for dollar what you are getting here at FLT in my opinion it is a no brainer. The warranty we offer FLT feels is very fair for a performance transmission and we do have a freshen up policy for the life of your transmission. We do not care who owns it! If marketing and longer warranties are what you are after you have come to the wrong place!
Good luck with your decision and we look forward to hearing from you.
www.finishlinetrans.com 1-630-350-7776

Vince
Old 05-30-2010, 01:04 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

IMO PerformaBuilt and FLT have a excellent product and both of us have the track proven cars to prove it. I dont think you could go wrong with either of us.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 05-30-2010, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

we have tried both companys & FLT out lasted the other........
yank is a great choice of converters.....
good luck!
Old 05-30-2010, 10:44 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks everybody.... Now on the search for a new rearend
Old 06-08-2010, 09:26 PM
Staging Lane

FLP level 5 4l65e on the way.......
Yank SS3600 on the way......
Moser fab9 with Wavetrac, 35 spline, 373's,torque arm on the way.......
WAY less money in my wallet on the way..........
on the way.......
Old 06-09-2010, 02:12 PM
Banned Scammer

that sucks frank will take care of you he builds good trans
Old 06-11-2010, 07:11 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gateman
FLT level 5 4l65e on the way.......
Yank SS3600 on the way..
Fixed your post in bold above! Your trans is currently hanging on our transmission dyno ready to come off. Please give us a call so we can get it shipped off to you! Thanks Vince