Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knocking 4L60E

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 11:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knocking 4L60E

I am experiencing some issues with my transmission. The Transmission has 165k on it, it has new fluid anf filter about 3 months old. I do notice the fluid has a slight brown tint to it, but still looks red.

I noticed a knocking sound coming from the bellhousing, at first of course i thought it was a rod, but the engine is fresh(about 3k miles). I put a screw driver to the oil pan with nothing but the typical sounds coming from the crank, at the bellhousing i hear a loud(ish) knock.

I took it for a 60 mile trip and on the first half of the trip, about 20 miles into it, it now is knocking like crazy, lousy idle. has no power to get up hills even the smallest of hills. I did have codes, but none related to the transmission. Two i know what they are, it needs a better tune and exhaust on it before i try and hunt those down.

I've done some searching and think that it might be the convertor stator is toast, Oh i did notice that the engine was getting hotter than normal, but quickly went back down to normal temps on downhill no load portions of the road.

Can i disconnect the convertor from the flywheel and start the engine to see if it is in fact the tranny doing it or the engine? I'm afraid if i do that it will catch on something and rip it to peices. I guess if it is the engine, the lack of load from the transmission may not make it do that.

I know i sound like i'm rambling, but i am confused here and really need some sound advice. I don't want to replace the tranny, to find out it was the engine, or the other way around.

I appreciate any help ANYONE can give.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bro Inc
My guess is either the flexplate to crank bolts are loose, converter to flexplate bolts loose, or the flexplate is cracked.

Might even have a torque converter bolt with a tall head hitting the block.

This could I guess cause false knock which could cause it to fall out of lock up and revert to the low octane timing table.

I tried all of those and nothing seems out of the ordinary. I'm not ruling anything out, i just want to go into this knowing what is wrong so i don't have to do it twice. It's a **** to remove the tranny in my truck.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:14 PM
Teching In

Smile

Did you find anything out? I had this exact noise happen this morning when i was sitting in the drive thru at mcdonalds. I work out a shop and had access to a lift, i thought it was a toasted rod bearing but after getting the car in the air all the noise was from the Bellhousing area. Sounds far to deep to be a cracked flexplate tho. i have heard them before and are traditionally higher pitched. The noise seems to be loudest at the torque converter. The GM tech said he thought a worn out stator rattling causing the noise. I just ordered a 3200 Circle D stall. Needed one anyway
Old 07-02-2010, 02:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Cam'dandslow
Did you find anything out? I had this exact noise happen this morning when i was sitting in the drive thru at mcdonalds. I work out a shop and had access to a lift, i thought it was a toasted rod bearing but after getting the car in the air all the noise was from the Bellhousing area. Sounds far to deep to be a cracked flexplate tho. i have heard them before and are traditionally higher pitched. The noise seems to be loudest at the torque converter. The GM tech said he thought a worn out stator rattling causing the noise. I just ordered a 3200 Circle D stall. Needed one anyway
I haven't found out anything yet. Although i did look at it and because it was a new engine(3k miles so far), i looked and noticed the engine was seperating from the transmission about an 1/8 of an inch. I tightened those up and started the truck, i didn't hear the noise. I didn't let it get to op-temp so the cold oil might of masked the problem, although i doubt it.

I have acquired a miss( blinking CEL) so i have to run that down before i can really do anything. I do plan on getting a torque converter, not happy with the launch with the V6 converter. looking to get a 18-2000 stall.

Sorry i haven't gotten back to this thread but frankly i've been so busy with work, i just forgot.

I'm looking for a EFI Live V1 to help me out of this, and possibly the upgraded spider assembly, hopefully i can fix the misfire and get it tuned better.

I will bookmark this page so i can be sure to remember to come back and post any remedies i find..

Quick Reply: Knocking 4L60E