Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird OD

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 11:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird OD

I recently had a 3500 stall go bad on me. Rather than going with another 3500 stall, I downgraded to a 2800 on some advice I was given due to my mods.
I know I need a tune but was wondering if my issue was due to needing that tune.
All gears shift great, maybe even better than when the 3500 was working good.
All except for OD. Going down the interstate (or similar speeds), it will shift into OD. When I give it just a little throttle, it "free wheels", then catches again. When I give it more than just a little throttle, it "free wheels" just a little bit and then catches. Its very irritating.
OD is the only gear it does this in.
Also, when in OD, when it's not "free wheeling", the cruising RPMs are a lot higher than when I had the 3500 in.
Again, I'm thinking this is a tuning issue...just not sure.
I didn't find any stickies that dealt with downgrading the stall...
Any advice would be appreciated...
Old 06-03-2010, 08:33 PM
Staging Lane

Nobody???
Old 06-03-2010, 11:16 PM
TECH Regular

If I get your explaination it's sounds as if the converter isn't locking up which will need to be tuned.Also I don't know what brand but I had a hughes yrs ago and they had problems working with our trannys.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:58 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks! I hope the tune straightens it out...it's a pain in the *** going down the interstate...
Old 06-06-2010, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Does it cruise normally on the highway for several miles before the problem starts? When my car did this it was a problem with the input shaft. Had the shaft replaced, problem solved.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:11 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Tommyv8
Does it cruise normally on the highway for several miles before the problem starts? When my car did this it was a problem with the input shaft. Had the shaft replaced, problem solved.
Well, yes and no. It seems to do it less when the tranny is cold. In the afternoon when it's the thermostat is on hell, it does it just as soon as I get on the I.

How much did it cost for the input shaft? Not counting the labor to take it down and put it back up...
Old 06-11-2010, 09:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by almostlive
Well, yes and no. It seems to do it less when the tranny is cold. In the afternoon when it's the thermostat is on hell, it does it just as soon as I get on the I.

How much did it cost for the input shaft? Not counting the labor to take it down and put it back up...
I had recently had it rebuilt and it was still on warranty so it was free for me, not sure how much it would cost. I would get a good diagnosis before having anything major done.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:40 PM
Teching In

If you find out what the problem ends up being, please let me know. My Z has been doing the exact same thing... its been like that for almost 20K miles and there doesnt seem to be any other problem with the tranny, but like you said...its just annoying. Must be a South Carolina problem... im over in Aiken. Thanks,
Old 06-14-2010, 10:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mrlewis
If you find out what the problem ends up being, please let me know. My Z has been doing the exact same thing... its been like that for almost 20K miles and there doesnt seem to be any other problem with the tranny, but like you said...its just annoying. Must be a South Carolina problem... im over in Aiken. Thanks,
Lol! Maybe it is a SC thing!

Well, I'm in California for another 2 weeks at another Army School....
When I get back I'm gonna go get a dyno tune, for the new converter, the headers and ORY I just put on, and the 160 thermo that I'm putting on when I get back....
I hope the tune fixes it. If not, I'm off to a tranny shop to get a REALLY good diagnosis before they start surgery....thanks to some friendly advice from earlier in the thread...
Old 06-15-2010, 06:04 AM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

I don't see how the input shaft has anything to do with the torque converter not locking up The other torque converter was locking up ok. The input shaft seal has a lot to do with it locking up. If it is torn or missing then this would do it, but not the input shaft itself, no....