Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

those of you who installed 4l80e

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 11:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default those of you who installed 4l80e

how many bolts were you able to put in the bellhousing to engine?

I only have 2 of them in the passenger side and 3 on the drivers side....
the one at the very top is not open on the bellhousing and the 6.0 block does not have one on the pass Side above the 2 on the right.

would I be ok with only those 5 bolts?

does anyone think that If I get the dust cover it will have 2 more for the bottom 2 hole? and would that reinforce it enough..

I put the tranny up to the engine to see what I needed to clear and it seems like I need to cut the cross reinforcement for the plug.

also does anyone have pictures to show where you mounted the shifter linkage?

thanks
Old 06-13-2010, 04:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just encountered this yesterday as well. Have 5 in mine too (2 on each side and the 11 o'clock one). My 95 model 4l80 doesn't have the 12 o'clock hole and the ls1 block doesn't have the 2 o'clock hole in it either. You can run a dust cover, but Im honestly not sure how much good it will do you. Really you have the flexplate bolts adding reinforcement to the front, and the mount isn't going to let it slide rearward. I've heard some guys using 4 bolts, I think we'll be ok. I can think of some other things I'd much rather spend $70+ on than an aluminum dust cover.

Mines a MVB unit, so no big harness on mine to have to clearance for.

I'm having to fabricate a bracket for the linkage using 2 that came with my b&m shifter to make it work because the holes aren't lining up on a single bracket that b&m supplied. Should have that done by Tuesday evening.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

mine does not need an extra harness either, my 98 pcm will control the transmission.
I will have to get a a grinder to the area though, it does not seem like it will fit with out some cutting.
on the passsenger side is justa matter of banging the tunnel a little.

what crossmember are you using?
you dont think the dust cover will add some reinforcement since it will be bolted to the bottom two holes?
my unit is a built unit with out any transbrake, it does have a vacuum control modulator though.
the stock shifter I am using will work with a little modification, I used the stock M6 top console so I will have a different look than a stock A4.
post some pictures or send me some to my email so I can see your set up man.
teranchavez@gmail.com
Old 06-14-2010, 08:01 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 98hc4mula
mine does not need an extra harness either, my 98 pcm will control the transmission.
I will have to get a a grinder to the area though, it does not seem like it will fit with out some cutting.
on the passsenger side is justa matter of banging the tunnel a little.

what crossmember are you using?
you dont think the dust cover will add some reinforcement since it will be bolted to the bottom two holes?
my unit is a built unit with out any transbrake, it does have a vacuum control modulator though.
the stock shifter I am using will work with a little modification, I used the stock M6 top console so I will have a different look than a stock A4.
post some pictures or send me some to my email so I can see your set up man.
teranchavez@gmail.com
I dont have the big bulky harness on the tranny because of the full manual valvebody, so no banging on the pass side for me. Mine just has a small lockup solenoid on the back driver side, running right under the fuel lines (had to bend them slightly up for it to clear).
I'm using a BMR torque arm relocation 4l80 crossmember I got used from another forum member. I'm reusing my stock torque arm for now and bought a new energy suspension bushing to go in it. That cover may add a little reinforcing, but I don't think it's necessarily needed. Your call though, maybe others will chime in.
Mines like yours, built but no tbrake and has a vacuum modulator as well. I'm using a B&M stealth pro ratchet mounted on a plate and using the stock M6 upper console and shiftboot...so it looks like a M6 car still with a pistol grip shifter. I've still got some wiring to do on mine, but I can get pics now and when its done. The finished console will look like this (but TA interior obviously)

Old 06-14-2010, 12:46 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, only the 99+ 4L80Es will work with all 6 bolts (and those cores are much more expensive). I have full auto, so I had to do a little cutting and banging around the harness (not really a big deal). Also a little clearance is needed for the cooler return line on 99+ units (unless you make your own tight radius 90* fitting).
Old 06-14-2010, 01:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

cool, yeah, i am also clearing the area for the cooler lines. I have 90* but are not tight fittings, this is minor though.
Im waiting for the 4l80e Crossmember from MW so once its here it should be ready to rock and roll.
I am installing the tranny on Wednesday with everything hooked up except the crossmember so by the time it gets here it should be done.
the tunner is not going to be here until I give him a call though, well see.
I can post pictured once its done if anyone wants to see them
Old 06-16-2010, 04:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was tokd u couldnt use a 98 pcm with 4l80. If you are using yours please let me know how. This would make my install a lot smoother.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

PM me for information.

Quick Reply: those of you who installed 4l80e