Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 04-25-2016, 05:36 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tranmission Guides
Print Wikipost

Everything you need to know about tranny coolers (4l60E F-Body)

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 09:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning using a cooler out of a Chevy suburban. They are stacked plate and there are tons of them at the junkyards
Old 01-14-2013, 12:01 PM
On The Tree

Exactly what I was looking for - great write up!
Old 01-14-2013, 02:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
Question.
Im in the middle of installing a fti 3800, my father and I are debating deleting the stock cooler lines all together and replacing with 45 degree fittings off the trans, push lock connections with high pressure hose to the b&m cooler, bypassing the stock cooler aswell. Sound ok, or is that going to drop line pressure to much? Thx
I deleted my stock cooler when adding my Yank SS4000 and went with -6 pushlock from the trans to my gigantic cooler mounted in front of the radiator. I can't see a need for running the stock cooler with it. My trans has never went over 170 even on a 90 degree day.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RotaryMuffler
Nice write up. I personally run just one aftermarket tranny cooler and bypass the stock one. I do this for insurance that if the radiator goes south it doesnt take the transmission out as well. With a 24k gvw cooler, bumper to bumper traffic, 85+ degree day and a yank ss4000 mine has never gone over 195 degrees. What ever floats your boat I guess.
+1, I bypassed stock radiator cooler, why risk getting coolant and trans fluid all mixed up if it breaks inside? Would contaminate both systems.

I also installed a dual fan cooler. It's wired with a thermostat to come on automatically, but I also installed a switch inside to run fans manually for extra cooling insurance. I went overboard- it's a side effect from bad experiences
Old 04-25-2013, 06:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive been thinking about getting a new radiator because my stock one is all dinged up from the nearly 20 years of driving. I was thinking about just getting a radiator for a manual car (no tranny cooler) for a cleaner look/very minor weight reduction and just running the aftermarket cooler by itself.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:16 PM
Teching In

Default Now can you do this for a F-body shift kit, this info was very informative!!!

Can u please do the same on the topic of shift kits. This info was great!!!
Originally Posted by MasterTomos
I recently installed a Transmission cooler on my '95 Firebird with a built 4L60E and did quite a bit of research before I bought and installed it, so I decided to do a write up and provide a few links of what seems to be common questions to hopefully save everyone some time.

Buying and installing a tranny cooler is not hard, and anyone with any kind of mechanical know-how and a few hand tools can do it. But first a few notes about transmissions, and transmission coolers.

***GENERAL NOTES***:

-All automatic transmissions, whether stock or modified can benefit from a tranmission cooler.
-Modern automatic transmissions (like the 4L60E) can run anywhere from 150-250 degrees (in some cases even higher)
-Optimal performance/ tranny fluid life typically starts to drop after 175 degrees.
-Cars with aftermarket stalls/torque converters will more than likely need a tranny cooler to avoid transmission damage over time. Sometimes stall companies include a transmission cooler with their stall kits.
-There are 2 main kinds of transmission coolers,
"tube and fin" style (seen here:http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/gr...00002/1405.jpg)
and a "stacked plate" style (seen here:http://www.transmissioncoolers.us/Me...00001/4544.jpg)
-While Tube and Fin style coolers are cheaper, they are not as effecient as the Stacked Plate style.
-Manufacturers (including B&M) recommend to run aftermarket coolers in addition to the factory cooler, not to bypass the factory cooler.

***PICKING OUT A TRANNY COOLER:***

Now, picking out a tranny cooler. While many options, sizes, and styles are available, it is best to pick out the biggest tranny cooler you can fit on your car. This is an area where you cannot "over-do" it. Bigger is always better in this case (as long as it fits on the car, of course.)

The tranny cooler I used was a B&M 70264, which seems to be a popular choice amongst F-Body owners. It is 7.25 inches tall x 11 inches long, and 1.5 inches thick. It is just the perfect size to go in front of your radiator and fill up most of the room on your passenger side, so any tranny cooler around this size should work just fine.

Again, this is a "stacked plate" style tranny cooler, which is a little more expensive, but more effecient than a "tube and fin" style tranny cooler. When I bought this cooler, it was $59.99 plus shipping, so all and all, it's still not all that expensive of an investment, especially considering that it's protecting your transmission.

***GVW RATINGS:***

Most tranny coolers are rated/advertised with a "GVW", which stands for "Gross Vehicle Weight". The cooler I bought (B&M 70264) was rated at 24,000 lbs (most coolers seem to range from 16,000-30,000 ballpark range for GVW ratings.) Obviously my Firebird doesn't weigh anywhere near 24,000 lbs, it's simply just a rating for reference. Some times companies don't even advertise the GVW.

***STOCK COOLING SYSTEM/LINE SETUP ON 4L60E FBODY:***

From the factory, 2 lines come out of the passenger side of the transmission and run to the front of the car. These are your transmission fluid/oil/coolant lines. On a 4L60E, they are placed one on top of the other or "two tall." The bottom line is the "feed line" which runs out of the transmission into the factory in-tank cooler inside the radiator. The feed line connects to the radiator at the bottom of the passenger's side of the radiator. The top line is the "return line" which runs transmission fluid back to the transmission from the factory in-tank radiator cooler. The return line begins at the top of the radiator on the passenger side, and runs back to the transmission.

Here is a simple diagram of the factory setup:

Transmission->Feed line->Radiator(stock cooler)->Return Line->Transmission

***MOUNTING:***

Again, I installed this on my 1995 Firebird Formula, with the 4L60E, the factory automatic 4 speed transmission. Most kits you purchase are universal kits, and not vehicle specific. My kit (B&M 70264) came with all the fittings, hoses, and mounting hardware you'd need to do on most any transmission, it seems. The install was pretty simple, and only took a few hours with me and a couple buddies to complete at a relaxed pace with plenty of beer breaks.

There are 2 popular ways to mount a tranny cooler, in front of the radiator/ac condensor (B&M claims this is the most effecient placement), but many others run it "dope style" which means it is mounted flat under the car under the passenger side of the front bumper. I chose to go with the placement in front of the radiator, due to the fact I feel it is more portected there from rocks/road debris. My install walk through is done fro the traditional mount, but here is a link to a guide on how a "dope style" mount is done:
http://bowlingss.com/Mods/InstalRepa...pe%20Style.mht

Honestly, we probably did a little more work than we "had" to, but we made it plenty easy with enough elbow room for the mounting/install of the tranny cooler. Here's a quick run down of the "pre-mount" preperation:

-Jack the car up, put on jack stands
-Remove passenger side engine fan (4 bolts)
-Remove plastic shield in front of radiator/condensor (2 bolts, 3 pull tabs)
-Remove radiator support/cover on top of the transmission (3 Bolts-?)
(if you have ram air or an LS1 lid setup, you'll obviously have to remove the air filter box as well, however, I left my stock air intake on my '95 during the entire install process)

Now that you have some elbow room, go ahead and figure how you want to mount the cooler itself. I placed mine on the passenger side in front of the radiator/AC condensor, due to the fact that the transmission line (the return line) you'll need to splice into is on the passenger side of the radiator.

Most kits come with "glorified zipties" These are a 2 piece zip tie that include the tie itself and a square "lock" piece to slide over the end to lock it in place. When I had my tranny cooler setting where I wanted it, I pushed the zip ties through the stock holes/mounting tabs on the tranny cooler, and through the AC/Condensor and Radiator fins (no, this won't hurt it ) Then you go to the back side of the radiator/ac condensor, push the locks on nice and snug, and cut off the excess line so it doesn't hit your engine fan blades.

Voila, your cooler is mounted, now for the plumbing.

***PLUMBING YOUR TRANNY COOLER:***
It is reccomended by manufacturers and is most efficient to run your tranny cooler in series with the factory cooler, and to not eliminate your factory cooler from the system. To do this, with the cooler itself mounted, you just run hose from the cooler to the top of the radiator where the return line is. Some people drill holes in their air dam to make it "easier", but I was able to run the hoses beside the radiator/condensor on the passenger side no problem-A little snug, but not an issue.

When you get the hose to the top of the radiator, cut it to length, keep it snug, but not tight, as you do not want to kink the hose and restrict flow. You are running this hose to the return line of the transmission. The return line is located at the top side of the radiator, on the passenger side, and is held it with an in-line joint. I used and in-line wrench to loosen this line, and pull it from the radiator.

Once it is disconnected, you'll notice that the stock tranny line "screwed in" to the radiator. My kit came with several barbed fittings, one of which screwed directly into the radiator port where the return line came from. Do not over tighten the barbed fitting, as it is soft brass. Plug your new hose from the tranny cooler into the return line, and clamp both ends tight with hose clamps.

Now take the factory line you just unscrewed from the radiator(the return line), and screw a barbed fitting to that as well. Attach the remainder of the hose you have to the barbed fitting and tighten it with a hose clamp. I was also able to run this line down beside the condensor/radiator right by the other hose from the tranny cooler. Cut to length the hose and attach it to the transmission cooler with another hose clamp. You are now all plumbed up and ready to go

When you are finished with the installation, mounting, and plumbing, your transmission cooling diagram will look like this:

Transmission->Feed line->Radiator(stock cooler)->Aftermarket Tranny Cooler->Return Line->Transmission

It is ideal to splice the transmission cooler into the return line, so that way the coolant flows through the stock in-tank radiator cooler first, then through your aftermarket cooler, then back to the transmission. Because your aftermarket cooler is more effecient than your stock one, this will return the coolest fluid possible back to your transmission.

Notes on plumbing:
-I did not lose any tranny fluid when I removed the line from the transmission, but it is very possible, so have a catch can/oil pan ready.
-Attaching the tranny cooler did not increase the capacity of my transmission noticeably, I did not need to add any transmission fluid after the install, but you will want a quart handy, just in case.
-After plumbing, start the car and check for leaks, as well as the first several times you drive the car, and check good. A leak or broken tranny line could drain a tranny in seconds.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:30 PM
TECH Junkie

I would do a write-up had I researched them and knew more about installing them, but I've only done one shift kit install and it was put into a tranny that ended up being junk.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:03 AM
Teching In

Thanks man this was a great write up. I installed my tranny cooler today and it was a piece of cake.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:53 AM
TECH Junkie

It's so easy, it can seem complicated when you try to explain it. When you start to actually install it, it's kind of like, "why is there 500 threads on this?" lol. Kind of like a TB Bypass.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
It's so easy, it can seem complicated when you try to explain it. When you start to actually install it, it's kind of like, "why is there 500 threads on this?" lol. Kind of like a TB Bypass.
It's just a **** load of good information, nothing wrong with being 100% informed before tackling a simple job.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by allbaugh_04
It's just a **** load of good information, nothing wrong with being 100% informed before tackling a simple job.
Agreed 100%
Old 07-06-2013, 09:19 PM
Teching In

Default Question about 4L60E fittings

Hey guys...good thread here.

Question: Does anyone know which 4L60e's will NOT accept this size fitting:

-6 x 1/4NPSM

The place from whom I want to buy these says this fitting only fits "some 4L60e's," and I don't want to buy them if they don't fit mine.

I have a 95 4L60e..

Thanks to anyone who knows.

Last edited by t33turbo; 07-06-2013 at 09:31 PM.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

SUB'ed to find again!
Old 03-16-2014, 11:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
So...it seems the perfect set up would be to remove the factory (ridiculous) cooler from the radiator, which I have done, and I plugged the the two holes in the plastic side tank.
OR swap out the A4 radiator for an M6 model, without the side tank !
Old 03-17-2014, 12:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Just a little update pertaining to the M6 radiators. I haven't been able to find a supplier of an oem style radiator without the auto tranny cooler, AZ, Oreillys, ect all carry ones with built-in coolers and if you have an M6 car, you simply just don't hook it up (obviously).

Looks like the only options for a radiator without a tranny cooler tank would be some of the higher end stuff like griffin, BeCool, ect (aka $400+), or buying used oem stuff of course.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:01 PM
Staging Lane

rpm tranmissions for supercharged cars recomends eliminating radiator and use a stand alone b n m cooler w fan that im doing as we speak
Old 05-11-2014, 04:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by quickvert1
rpm tranmissions for supercharged cars recomends eliminating radiator and use a stand alone b n m cooler w fan that im doing as we speak
I did that on my 2001 Camaro. I also left the fan on all the time.

Bill
Old 09-15-2015, 10:29 AM
Staging Lane

Default 2 cooler styles tube vs fin plate

This is something I have wondered about. The 2 styles of coolers. plate vs tube. On here you say the plate is more efficient. Why is that?
I was having heating issues on a vehicle, I called a few shops because I had a higher stall. Yank had suggested ideally going with a tube because of the flow. That a tube would flow better and more smoothly than the fluid being reduced in a flat plate fin style. The guy I talked to even said he built his own like a condenser on a "moonshine still" LOL. I'd love to see that.
But I'm really just wondering how you determined it is more efficient as I like to hear other peoples opinions and would like to hear yours. Thanks for your time.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Everything you need to know about tranny coolers (4l60E F-Body)

The stacked plate coolers have a greater fluid-to-air surface area for a given dimension...

it has been shown that a stacked plate cooler cools as much or more than a tube/fin cooler of twice the dimension.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Great info!

Quick Reply: Everything you need to know about tranny coolers (4l60E F-Body)