Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

found a 4l80e for sale, but.......

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default found a 4l80e for sale, but.......

its a 2wd 2004 4l80e with less than 20k miles on it, problem is its been sitting packed up on a shipping pallet for over a year.

what should i expect? i plan on opening it up for a qwick inspection no matter what, and installing a Tbrake, transgo HD2, and possibly a MVB. Im just not sure if its sitting for so long will have done damage. any advice? hes asking 850 bucks, comes with stock FP, no converter
Old 06-23-2010, 03:42 PM
On The Tree

well it it has just been sitting and you plan on going through it any way you should not have anything to worry about, unless it had a major melt down and has internal damage and that being the reason for it being on a pallet for so long in the first place.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

It was purchased from an employee of TS&P as a stock 4l80e with the intended use in a performance truck. The built motor in the truck was blown before this trans was installed and for the time the tranny was sitting there was continuing problems with the truck and eventually the build was scrapped and truck was sold, tranny is part of leftover parts from the project. thats the story anyway.

Im asking because i really wanna just put my stuff in it, buy a circle d stall converter and run it. But if yall know of anything that should be replaced because its been sitting, id like to know about it and its cost before i start spending money.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your going to tear it down , I would soak the clutches in transmission fluid or replace them with a set of performance clutches. Were the clutches has been setting with out fluid that long could have dry them out, and could burn them up on startup. Just a idea to check while your in there.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^^very good call! as a matter of fact, that reminds me of a thread i read where one of the sponsors stated the best way to store a tranny was to fill it all the way up with fluid, ALL the way up, seal it off and store it. maybe ill just get this thing and do just that, let it soak for a week or two. put it in the car and range the gears, tool though my apt complex, maybe around the block, then fill er up and soak for another few days. sounds like a plan