Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Simple Dexron III ATF Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 01:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simple Dexron III ATF Question

So I've had an FLT Stage 4 Transmission in my Camaro for the past year, and after 10,000 miles, I'm going to drop the pan and change the filter but was a little curious as to what everyone thinks about certain ATF's.

Let's say I want to buy a case of non synthetic Dexron III ATF for the cheapest price yet retain great quality.

Any Ideas?
Thanks
Old 07-01-2010, 04:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just a pan drop and filter change is only 5-6 quarts, is it really worth it for how often the fluid gets change to go cheap when you are talking about a $3000 trans/torque converter combo? Not in my eyes.

You can get Valvoline semi-synthetic for about $4.50 per qt and real syn for $6-7. Worse case $42.00.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:04 PM
11 Second Club

non synthetic Dexron III ATF, my choise last 10 years/yank ST3500, now with SS4000
JUST a side note: the seal on the filter can be quite a problem to change( but I am sure you are aware of this) I usually do not change it as long as it looks /feels ok
Johnny
Old 07-01-2010, 06:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MAYH3M
Let's say I want to buy a case of non synthetic Dexron III ATF for the cheapest price yet retain great quality.

Any Ideas?
Thanks
Cheap and great quality are mutually exclusive terms when it comes to any kind of oil, mineral or synthetic. And in the long run, cheap is some serious false economy. Change "cheap" to "best value", and go shopping again.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:18 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was it not my understanding that when Manufactures no longer support a certain specification of fluid, that there is no oversite to guarrentee if that fluid meets the current/newest specifications.

The discussion came up on T-56 transmission Fluid recommondations and when the Transmissions where produced Dex III was used but since then there are new version of Dexron and a few people voiced similar concern.

I wanted to throw that out there as a thought piece.

IMO I feel the same, getting a great fluid for a reasonable price is the best bet.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:21 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

If you asked GM Hydramatic, or whatever the division is called, they would tell you to get all of the old fluid out and replace it with Dexron VI.

Thats the only atf regulated by GM that replaces Dexron III. Thats means Super tech from walmart will have the same additive package as genuine GM fluid on the dealers shelf.

Any other fluid will say for vehicles that call for Dexron III, you will not find a bottle of fluid made in the last 4-5 years that says this is Dexron III on it.

In other words there are no Dexron III replacements that are the exact same formula from brand to brand, and theres no guarantee that they meet Dexron standards since GM isn't even looking at them.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Valvoline Max life is what I use, its $1 more a quart than plain valvoline or castrol, and it works really well, has great additive packages and I have been using it for 40K miles with plenty of abuse. My car currently has a Yank 3800 stall and 177k miles and shifts perfect! I and a few other people I know use this fluid exclusively. It covers pretty much all makes and models and their specific additive requirements.

If nothing else go with some standard Castrol or Valvoline ATF. Get a good brand name. Full synthetic is not a big issue especially if you change it often, Yank actually prefers you dont use the synthetic
Old 07-03-2010, 03:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

i use dex 6.......wal mart brand.......waaaaay cheaper than any 1 else......really felt a diff after a fliud change.........in a good way

Quick Reply: Simple Dexron III ATF Question