Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

high temps with thae AC on

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 07:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default high temps with thae AC on

I recently installed a cooler on my 98 ws6, the car runs cool temps with out the air conditioner on. But when I turn on the air it start to run a high temp of 205 almost touching 210. I turn it back off it goes down, can any body help me with this problem,
Old 07-01-2010, 09:28 PM
TECH Addict

Is this in town driving or hiway?
Old 07-02-2010, 09:50 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

First thing, pull the top support and blow out the condenser
and rad fins with shop air. Expect a bountiful harvest of crap.

But the stock rad is a wmipy little bitch and an LT1 radiator
woud help you out a fair bit, if you are ready to swap (like
at coolant /WP change).
Old 07-02-2010, 09:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by wicked-t
I recently installed a cooler on my 98 ws6, the car runs cool temps with out the air conditioner on. But when I turn on the air it start to run a high temp of 205 almost touching 210. I turn it back off it goes down, can any body help me with this problem,
Are you running the tranny cooler inline with the radiator? If so then remove the lines and just run the tranny fluid through the cooler and thats it. It will make a huge difference on temps. That is the way mine is set up. I was driving in town today and the water temp never got over 185 and the tranny temp never got over 160. And that was with the AC on wide open.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:18 PM
Teching In

No I'm not running it through the radiator, I bypassed it. And while I was sitting in traffic it started to run hot and when I got to moving again my tranny was acting like it was slipping I turned off the a/c and it cooled back down, and when I parked the car for awhile , and got back in it to go home it drove good with no problem
Old 07-08-2010, 06:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

the AC puts a load on the engine, so the trans has to work harder, so more heat, so i would expect to see a little higher temp
Old 07-08-2010, 01:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What is the GVW or BTU rating of your stand alone trans cooler?
Old 07-08-2010, 10:52 PM
Teching In

It's b&m 70266 cooler
Old 07-09-2010, 12:53 PM
TECH Junkie

For a stand alone transmission cooler from what I have been told that one is to small. You should have one with no less than 30000GVW. Part number 20274 would be better.

Based on what I have been told I just ordered Tru-Cool 4921-1 with a 30000GVW and a BTU rating of 34000.

Regarding your overheating problem you probably don't have enough air flow through the radiator. Maybe clean the radiator fins? Maybe more airflow with a bigger fan(s)?
Old 07-10-2010, 07:21 PM
Teching In

Ok I'll try that and see if that help. I also have the cooler side ways, so I should redo that to so it can be in a up right position also. Dam sure did'nt want to go throught that again but it's all for the love of the bird right don'nt want to mess up my up graded tranny an my yank ss3600...
Old 07-10-2010, 10:21 PM
TECH Junkie

You want to air to flow through the trans cooler and of course across the fins. If the trans cooler was up next to the radiator or A/C condenser it will have the fans helping it cool when stopped and then the movement of the car will add air across it.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:24 PM
Teching In

Thanks 1989gta I'll get to that the weekend, so do you recommend I also get a bigger cooler also?
Old 07-12-2010, 06:56 PM
TECH Junkie

"so do you recommend I also get a bigger cooler also?"

I don't know your situation. I'm just going by my research and talking to manufacturers. For a stand alone 30,000gvw is a minimum. I'm sure that is to most situations. I would do some independent research and maybe talk to the people who made your torque converter for advice.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:31 PM
Teching In

okay I'll do that
Old 07-16-2010, 12:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
First thing, pull the top support and blow out the condenser
and rad fins with shop air. Expect a bountiful harvest of crap.

But the stock rad is a wmipy little bitch and an LT1 radiator
woud help you out a fair bit, if you are ready to swap (like
at coolant /WP change).
Damn I wish I would have known about switching to an LT1 radiator, I just bought a new one like 3 weeks ago, and like you said cleaning the radiator is always and excellent idea, that and the condesner especially get clogged up badly with dirt, twigs etc...

Originally Posted by 98LS1auto
Are you running the tranny cooler inline with the radiator? If so then remove the lines and just run the tranny fluid through the cooler and thats it. It will make a huge difference on temps. That is the way mine is set up. I was driving in town today and the water temp never got over 185 and the tranny temp never got over 160. And that was with the AC on wide open.
I wouldn't recommend that in the cold states, oil needs to be warm to protect properly, so I would run it through the radiator then the external cooler. Running the cooler stand alone could make it stay too cold, if I remember right looking at his info it said he lived in MS which im sure has a pretty decent winter. Even in texas I run mine after the radiator and see about 150-160 degree trans temp during hot weather, that was with my smaller torque converter, not stock but smaller than now, but I also run a B&M trans cooler made for RV's

Originally Posted by wicked-t
No I'm not running it through the radiator, I bypassed it. And while I was sitting in traffic it started to run hot and when I got to moving again my tranny was acting like it was slipping I turned off the a/c and it cooled back down, and when I parked the car for awhile , and got back in it to go home it drove good with no problem
I made a bracket to mount my cooler to and screwed it to the core support so that it holds the cooler about an inch from the condenser, if it sits on the condenser it could absorb heat from it, but mounting it this way lets the fans pull air across it as stated, and also keeps it in that high air flow area that hits the condenser and radiator. It works really well like this. If you are going to run it laying flat look up "dope style" there is a detailed write up on what cooler to use and how to mount it, if I did it that way personally I would add an electric fan to the cooler on a switch and run it while driving in warmer months.

Originally Posted by forcd ind
the AC puts a load on the engine, so the trans has to work harder, so more heat, so i would expect to see a little higher temp
Higher parasatic draw on the engine only effects the engine. The trans works harder if you put higher load on the car but pulling, going up hill or higher throttle but the a/c its self does not make the transmission work harder. Now if your using the stock trans cooler and you turn on the a/c there will be more heat present in that radiator/condenser area because the condenser gets hot so you may see a small increase from that, but thats not the case here.

Originally Posted by 1989GTA
You want to air to flow through the trans cooler and of course across the fins. If the trans cooler was up next to the radiator or A/C condenser it will have the fans helping it cool when stopped and then the movement of the car will add air across it.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

I need to get a pic of how my cooler is done, ill look and see if I have one, but I just got my wisdom teeth pulled so im not really up to going and taking them right now, if I can find one i'll post it up.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:25 PM

My lt1 seems to run this way with ac on aswell.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS

I wouldn't recommend that in the cold states, oil needs to be warm to protect properly,
Im no chemist, I dont know the properties of trans fluid. Stock trans' run pretty hot so I assume trans fluid is designed to work well when hot. With my external cooler only, on a 60 degree day, I cant hardly get my trans up to 115 degrees. I know thats prolly not the best, but it just feels so damn good