Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l80e locks in reverse no 4th

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 07:24 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4l80e locks in reverse no 4th

its only recently occured. At first i noticed that it would not up shift to 4th from 3rd gear. When i got home , reversing int driveway , it shifts into reverse but rear tyres are locking as if a trans brake being applied . Switched car off , put in neutral , tried pushing car backwards but does not move . What are probable issues related to repair , thanks.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:48 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the fluid condition? It sounds as if the O/D clutches are compromised. It could also be that the forward clutches are hurt.

How old is this unit and what sort of power does it see?

g
Old 08-08-2011, 08:37 AM
Launching!

Ok. it's behind a 1000rwhp supercharged ls combo. Only street duties ,been driven at wot from 2nd to third plenty of times. If able to drive forward , is it possible to drive it to transmission builder, what are your thoughts thanks. Have not checked fluid condition yet though.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:54 AM
FormerVendor

Well, this is one of those situations where the damage is done. So, I guess it really depends on how far the builder is! :-) Without having the luxury of seeing the car myself it really boils down to a judgment call on your part.

Once he get's it apart, post up what he finds and what his intentions are for the build as we may have some suggestions or recommendations.

Good luck with it buddy!

g
Old 08-08-2011, 09:16 AM
Launching!

G, my builder let's me use his tools and bench, but he works alone and is always busy. it would take him weeks to repair mine, so I end up listening to his advice and people like you,ls1tech, an 4l80e trans book . But I'm always reading and listening for new updates on new hard parts for the 4l80trans.Just a q on trans brakes for auto applications are there any successfull ones avail now , I built my box 3 years ago , there weren't any success back then .
Old 08-08-2011, 09:37 AM
FormerVendor

Yes there are 2 brakes that I trust. I have installed many brakes in 80e's that were built by Carl Rossler. Originally he had issues with release times. But, he has since revised his piece to include a 2nd exhaust solenoid which effectively allows for a quicker release. However, his is a piggy back billet aluminum block that bolts directly to the valve body, therefore it requires a proprietary (custom sheet metal aluminum) pan. I personally don't care for that setup as it winds up being too low and in street applications it can get caught on speed bumps and other hazards while driving.

There is a viable option though, I have spoken at length with Jake of Jake's Performance. He has developed a brake for 80e's that incorporates internal modifications to the factory valve body. It features a quicker release than Carl's and does not require the installation of a custom ( expensive) pan. Jake is a Sponsor here and there's no doubt he would be happy to discuss it in detail with you. Check out his website at http://www.jakesperformance.com/4L80E.html

Hope that helps!

g
Old 08-14-2011, 10:12 AM
Launching!

Default 4l80e 5 pinion rear planet failure

Have stripped trans due to bindup in reverse , have found rear 5 pinion planet failure. What can cause this, is it a lube issue . What part lubes the gears ?
Old 08-14-2011, 11:17 AM
Gingervitis Addict

Originally Posted by hawkls7
Have stripped trans due to bindup in reverse , have found rear 5 pinion planet failure. What can cause this, is it a lube issue . What part lubes the gears ?
What year trans?
Old 08-14-2011, 06:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by slow67
What year trans?
its a late model, most parts are upgraded to handle big hp
Old 08-14-2011, 06:47 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Is the intermediate shaft solid or does it have a lube hole through the center?

Do you have the proper fitting in the rear of the trans with the extension?
Old 08-14-2011, 09:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Jake's Performance
Is the intermediate shaft solid or does it have a lube hole through the center?

Do you have the proper fitting in the rear of the trans with the extension?
hi jake, lube hole through centre . all shafts are from ck perform. do you mean the small tube that lubes the output shaft area
Old 08-14-2011, 10:40 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

If this is a late model unit, the intermediate shaft shouldn't have a lube hole, and the rear case cooler fitting should have a tube protruding into the case/center support.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:28 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Jake's Performance
If this is a late model unit, the intermediate shaft shouldn't have a lube hole, and the rear case cooler fitting should have a tube protruding into the case/center support.
yes it has the rear case cooler fitting protruding into the centre support.
the rear ring gear shaft has the hole through the middle and the hole on the side . the rear ring gear has the four lube passages through splines , also the bearing race atached has lube pasages , also i used the shim.

im thinking that with the lube hole through the ring gear shaft and the 4 lube holes at the rear ring gear that the oil is not contained appropiately .
Old 08-16-2011, 06:49 AM
Launching!

Ok I think I found the rear planet lube issue , the centre support bush has the
Two lube holes , then the tube that was installed is the early one with the longer jernall.it has restricted the oil , because when I compress air into the
Return oil pasage at the side of the centre support the hole is covered over by the longer journal and air is not flowing , as good as when I put the later tube .Any thoughts on this .
Old 08-17-2011, 09:04 PM

If you have a main shaft like Jake said with a hollow center that is an issue. The shaft you have should be solid. The sungear shaft is also very important here as well. If memory serves me correct your bushing in the center support should be the long style and also have three holes total. HTH Vince
Old 08-18-2011, 04:25 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Vince B
If you have a main shaft like Jake said with a hollow center that is an issue. The shaft you have should be solid. The sungear shaft is also very important here as well. If memory serves me correct your bushing in the center support should be the long style and also have three holes total. HTH Vince
thanks vince , the sun gear shaft that i had in the trans was the one with the longer jernal which is the first type. i now have changed it to the later model one. A problem i also had was that the intermediate and output shaft ,
were running against each other , i think because the sungear bearing had the extra washer , but it should be removed with my application . I have the
300m intermediate shaft from ck performance and unfortunately it has the hole through the middle . Can it be filled with anything to make it solid ?.

Quick Reply: 4l80e locks in reverse no 4th