Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok yank converter owners especially py 3400 owners come on in

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 09:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Ok yank converter owners especially py 3400 owners come on in

I have as you can see in my sig PY3400e. I have not tracked my car yet with it. Hoping to dyno and track in a month or so after finish installed new upgraded LG turbos.

Anyway few things and observations. I find the py3400 a bit loose in town. It seems I need a fair bit more throttle input to go speed limit . I have 3.54 gears not a lot of rear end gear so assume this is normal. My 2800 vig is very tight in my 96z28 for comparison ,fact when it was installed had to double check it was even in there thought tranny shop had installed stock converter again! Till I stalled it up then knew it was there.

I am also not locking up the yank converter around town at city speeds but only locking it up at 55mph. Also after it locks up I am noticing a lot of vibration coming thru . Is this to be expected? I guess it could possibly be misfires,hard to check for them with hptuners and speed density will have to put maf back in to check. Engine seems smooth and not noticing vibrations when converter is not locked. Possibly maybe also torque arm or some other thing causing excess vibrations and do have poly motor mounts but they don't seem to put out vibration under that 55 mph lockup unless lock it up at city speeds .
I have not tried to eliminate the lockup yet but will in next day or so and see how that does. Also think 55 mph is around 2000rpm or so mabye lockup should be set to more like 65 or 70mph guess can try that.

Just wondering if maybe my lockup clutch is fubar or something.I did proper break in procedure.

I am starting to think about going to different converter possibly multidisc circle d or multidisc vigilante as also Yank has said not to run lockup past about 30% throttle on my build because of my power levels.And might want to run locked up for more top end mph.
I am running a vig 2800 in my 96z28 vert with mild bolt ons and the lockup is very smooth no vibration at all noticed after lockup.

So lets hear it from some other yank owners and if you get a lot of vibration when your yank is locked up.

Also I am running as said poly engine mounts but rubber trans mount. Torque arm is mounted to the crossmember not tunnel.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok took out all lockup today with my hptuners and so far vibration is way way better. So not sure if the stall lockup is fubared or what but for now going to run it this way. Will try a few things on the car and then maybe try it locked up again down the road.
If it don't seem to be the car then might send in stall to have it checked out or possibly switch brands for one that can take lockup under wot . Won't be doing anything now ,would do something over winter when car is down from nov thru march.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

When I had my PY3400 I had no issues whatsoever with vibrations after lockup and my lockup would engage as low as 25mph in 3rd. Also to me the stall was too tight, I have a SS3800 now and it is FAR looser.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
When I had my PY3400 I had no issues whatsoever with vibrations after lockup and my lockup would engage as low as 25mph in 3rd. Also to me the stall was too tight, I have a SS3800 now and it is FAR looser.
Ok good info. Its not super super loose have had older stalls in my old musclecars that were much worse. I can deal with the looseness no problem its the vibrations that hate. It is smooth now with no lockup so if it isn't the converter then must be something else like torque arm setting, etc.

Do you run poly motor mounts? Poly trans mounts? I also did read might be misfire but its hard to check for them as running sd so have to put maf back in to check. Not a huge deal and will do that if can't find out anything else that might be causing the vibrations. So locking up is maybe just letting me feel the vibrations more??

As said did break the stall in properly and have not abused it at all,no track or dyno no locking it up past 30% throttle and have my power at maybe 750 engine right now.

It was very smooth though with the lockup turned off. I even have fluidampr balancer.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:56 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get rid of the poly mounts!
that is your issue as we told you about 6 weeks ago
You cant believe the calls we get about Poly mounts (THEY SUCK) these are hard and transfer all movement to the body
Old 07-21-2010, 06:12 PM
TECH Veteran

I have rubber stock trans mount. I know poly trans mounts are horrible. Tried them several times in the past. Always went back to stock rubber but they would break but have torque arm relocated to crossmember now.

I have to run poly engine mounts. Clearance is very tight with the aps kit. Vibration is much much less without the lockup. So for now see how trans temps are and not too worried about decrease in mileage.

I didn't notice much vibration when had my six speed trans before the auto swap with the poly engine mounts.

I am likely going to try carbon fiber driveshaft and recheck torque arm angle and see how things are after that. And maybe check for misfires as well. Then see how it goes. Also see how the car does at track either this season or next not sure will make it there this season.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

I run poly motor mounts and dumped duals so my car vibrates alot from that, and yeah once its in lock up it enhances that but its to be expected. I have no "abnormal" vibration in relation to my setup.

Maybe like you said you are actually feeling misfire.

Good luck with it bud, let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having polly mounts will transfer more vibration to the car.
I have actually seem more vibration having a mix of mounts instead of going all stock or all polly.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have an ss4000 and havent noticed any unusual vibrations either. coming from a m6 i cant really say whether mines too loose or not, but after driving it a little while its not that bad, but i have 4:11s too so that might contribute

Quick Reply: Ok yank converter owners especially py 3400 owners come on in