Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

freshen up the tranny? Advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default freshen up the tranny? Advice needed

Hey all. I bought myself a 98 z28 with a blown motor. Car has about 90k on it. So far, I have gotten an ls6 longblock from Scoggin Dickey and an ls6 intake. I plan to do pacesetter LTs, TSP catted-y, lid, and port the stock throttle body. The car is going to be my DD, with little to no track time. Oh and it has the 2.73 rear. While everything is out of the car I figured it would be a good time to get a stall and rebuild/freshen up the tranny. I am looking at getting a Circle D or Yank stall in the 3200-3600 range. I will be getting the tranny work done at a shop since I know nothing about them.

I have seen some rebuild kits on various sites with clutches, steels, gaskets, rings, etc all included. The kits I found weren't on a sponsor site so I don't know if I can post the link here. Would it be a good idea to get one of these kits and have a shop install it? Or would I be ok just having the shop do a basic 'freshening up' of the trans? Originally I was just going to get one of the TransGo HD-2 kits and a Corvette servo but I figured I'd ask some people with more knowledge than me haha.

Also, would a 3200-3600 stall be ok for a DD ls6 with basic bolt-ons and 2.73s? I think I may be doing a cam swap a few years down the road if that affects the decision any.

Any suggestions or advice on the subject would be greatly appreciated! Yes I am new to the site but I've been doing a lot of research. The trans info is still confusing to me though. thanks!
Old 08-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

I would look for a shop that knows how to do performance rebuilds rather than find a shop and hand them a kit and have them learn how to do one on your transmission.

Maybe get a few estimates for a performance rebuild and see what they plan on doing.

They should upgrade the 3-4 clutch, sunshell at the very least. Most decent shops use transgo products, see if they use a shift kit or make their own modifications that don't require one.
Ask them if they think a corvette servo is a good idea to add to a '98 f body transmission, it came with one from the factory so their answer should give you an idea of what they know and how honest they are.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:16 PM
On The Tree

This is what I'm looking for...informative feedback! Thanks!

Yeah I will be calling around to get some opinions/quotes. I didn't know my trans came with the Vette servo so like you said I'll test their knowledge. Anything else I need to consider when getting the trans serviced?

Anyone have input on the stall range? I will be calling both Circle D and Yank for their feedback but if anyone is running 2.73s and a similar stall I'd appreciate some real user feedback.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:17 PM
Staging Lane

i have a 2002 camaro and i took it to transmission shop and put the same kit and a super servo and beast sunshell the least goes on. It didnt last 4000 miles and third gear clutches went out again. I have taken it bak out of the car and taken to transmission shop who specialize in racing trans. he said that the kit was to aggressive and the clutches was to weak. so im trying a new set up this time should have it in this weekend. So good luck let me know how it goes.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:53 PM
On The Tree

Oh man sorry to hear than Superman. Sounds like some rough luck you had. Hopefully everything works out though.

Anyone else want to add their $.02? The more info the better!