Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Circle D 4c installed, results vs stock stall

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Circle D 4c installed, results vs stock stall

So the 4c is in and i hit the track today. Best 60' today was a 1.68 leaving just above idle. Dead hooking on et streets.

results are in here
https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...converter.html

Overall im happy... knocked .665 off of my previous best time, 7 tenths off of my typical runs with the exact same mods minus the stall.

Next up cam swap the the eps 226 234 cam. Ill be sure to post that up as well!

Now about the stall. At first i thought i was going to send this back to make it a 3c or even a 2c, but it seems the stall is growing on me. I think ill keep it the same. It flashes to about 3700 rpm in my logs at 3 mph. At 5mph its at 4000rpm. Overall im happy with it and i think my results are inline with everyones times? I was hoping for a low 1.60 60' but thats not always the case i guess! Maybe some 3.73's would get me my lower 60'.

Last edited by got-a-ls1; 08-07-2010 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1.63 is good for a street car i would say. but im no expert. I know with my 2e the only time i ran it at the track i got a 1.9 (im still learning how to drag race lol) so i think your doing pretty good. ill go look at my slip and see what my 1/8 time was and let ya know. it was a shitty run though so i wouldnt take it into account.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:24 AM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those are good results and it's nice to see back to back comparisons like that. Depending on your weight and power level, you will likely see low 1.6 60fts when the cooler air rolls in.

The 4C likes to be stalled up high at the launch. The higher the launch rpm, the better it will 60ft. I pre-stage, bring the rpms up to 2200-2300rpm and just barely inch in to fully stage. That always helps me get my best 60fts.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by twitchtwice
1.63 is good for a street car i would say. but im no expert. I know with my 2e the only time i ran it at the track i got a 1.9 (im still learning how to drag race lol) so i think your doing pretty good. ill go look at my slip and see what my 1/8 time was and let ya know. it was a shitty run though so i wouldnt take it into account.
is the 2e from circle d as well? what size stall?

Originally Posted by TXCAMSS
Those are good results and it's nice to see back to back comparisons like that. Depending on your weight and power level, you will likely see low 1.6 60fts when the cooler air rolls in.

The 4C likes to be stalled up high at the launch. The higher the launch rpm, the better it will 60ft. I pre-stage, bring the rpms up to 2200-2300rpm and just barely inch in to fully stage. That always helps me get my best 60fts.

Thanks for sharing.
yea see i tried launching it at 2500 rpms and i cut 2 mid 1.75 and a 1.78. When i just flashed it off of idle the first time i cut the 1.68. My power level is ~370 rwhp on a mustang dyno and its a full weight ws6.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:31 PM

That is strange. I have ran the 4C and 5C and they responded well to higher stall rpms. Is it possible that you staged deeper on the higher rpm launches. The more shallow you stage, the quicker you will 60ft. If you are turning on both stage bulbs and then bringing the rpms up, then you are leaving a good bit of 60ft on the table. You want your staging rpm set as you light the last staging bulb and make it just flicker on.

The 4C is a nice converter and is a good match for your set up. It's actually a pretty tight feeling converter for it's stall rpm.

The 2E is a Circle D Specialties 245mm designed more for "from a roll racing" or bracket racing. It is noticably looser and hits softer than most street style converters, but pulls real hard from a roll and in the upper rpms. It's a 4000ish stall depending on the individual set up and specs.

We just put a 2E in my sons car and in my wifes car. We like the feel of a loose converter plus we bracket/index race a lot.

I hope this helps
Old 08-08-2010, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

That is strange. I have ran the 4C and 5C and they responded well to higher stall rpms. Is it possible that you staged deeper on the higher rpm launches. The more shallow you stage, the quicker you will 60ft. If you are turning on both stage bulbs and then bringing the rpms up, then you are leaving a good bit of 60ft on the table. You want your staging rpm set as you light the last staging bulb and make it just flicker on.

The 4C is a nice converter and is a good match for your set up. It's actually a pretty tight feeling converter for it's stall rpm.

The 2E is a Circle D Specialties 245mm designed more for "from a roll racing" or bracket racing. It is noticably looser and hits softer than most street style converters, but pulls real hard from a roll and in the upper rpms. It's a 4000ish stall depending on the individual set up and specs.

We just put a 2E in my sons car and in my wifes car. We like the feel of a loose converter plus we bracket/index race a lot.

I hope this helps
to be honest i wasnt paying too much attention to where i was tripping the 2nd light... so when i go back do i want to just barely trip the 2nd light?

The 4c has grown on me so much i cant believe it... when i first installed it i thought i made a mistake by going so high (well to me) because i had myself sold on the 3c. But i decided to go higher if incase i needed a restall it seems like it would be easier to pick a lower stall speed then a higher one. it felt loose to me, but after driving it now i realize its really not bad at all when i remember back to where my stock stall drove unlocked. not bad at all. The other reason i wasnt sure if i liked this converter was because my engine sensor fuse was blown due to a short o2 wire against the header, and the stall wouldnt lock until after 40 mph and above 10-15% throttle and then unlocking when i let off the throttle. Now that i have that all straitened out i love it.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:51 PM

Yep, you want to just barely trip the second yellow bulb when staging. It's called going in real shallow. If you do this every time, you will have better 60fts and run more consistent.

Most people question the feel of a stall converter at first because it feels strange compared to the stock TC, but after a few WOT blasts and a few miles of normal driving, they are hooked forever.

Keep us updated on your results. G/L
Old 08-08-2010, 04:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same here w/ my Yank SS3600 if i leave just of idle i get better 60ft time if i bring it up to a higher RPM is gets shitty 60ft times.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yep, you want to just barely trip the second yellow bulb when staging. It's called going in real shallow. If you do this every time, you will have better 60fts and run more consistent.

Most people question the feel of a stall converter at first because it feels strange compared to the stock TC, but after a few WOT blasts and a few miles of normal driving, they are hooked forever.

Keep us updated on your results. G/L
yea i think it was just such a big change at first... but after the track results yesterday and then today when i put it in second gear at 25 mph, floored it and watched the street tires go up in smoke i was sold... lol. no more dead second gear.
Originally Posted by blk/slvr02ss
Same here w/ my Yank SS3600 if i leave just of idle i get better 60ft time if i bring it up to a higher RPM is gets shitty 60ft times.
its interesting.. im gonna try it again both ways the next time i go but make sure to stage shallow each time.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:02 AM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Very impressive results, almost 7 tenths in the 1/8, nicely done!! Thanks for all the info James, your help and info is appreciated. Getting the best 60's is a case by case basis. Just play around with all the options mentioned and I think you will get your 1.6. Thanks for the feedback!!

Chris
Old 08-09-2010, 11:03 AM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Another note, if you could drop a few pounds it would really benefit the 60 as well.

Chris
Old 08-09-2010, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Circle-D
Another note, if you could drop a few pounds it would really benefit the 60 as well.

Chris
hey hey hey!! leave out the personal insults! oh wait the car... well yea we both could stand to lose a few pounds... haha
Old 08-09-2010, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DFb-3LeEhw

Quick Reply: Circle D 4c installed, results vs stock stall