Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

(Tranny issues), please help

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 01:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool (Tranny issues), please help

I just posted a thread on this a couple days ago, but no suggestions at all. Transmissions arent my dept. Still need help diagnosing the problem.

so again, i just got done rebuilding my ls1. Most of my tranny fluid came out during the rebuild. when the engine was done i made sure to put new tranny fluid, and to check the level as i go. So i start it up and put it into gear... and nothing. It doesnt do anything, it wont engage at all in any gear, park works...lol. My tranny is a 4L60E off an 98 camaro z28.

I was thinking maybe i need a new tranny filter, would that prevent the tranny from engaging? Appreciate the help thanks!
Old 09-06-2010, 01:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was thinking maybe you pulled out the shuttle linkage out of the valve body that hooks to the shifter etc. theres a rod not much thicker than a coat hanger metal and it can easily fall out causing the same issue just a thought
Old 09-06-2010, 01:37 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

The internal shift linkage isn't going to disconnect unless you had the valvebody off.

If you separated the engine and transmission you probably broke the pump putting them back together.
There are hundreds of posts on this site alone that describe just installing the transmission and the vehicle doesn't move, and it ends up being the pump.

Typical reply is to be sure it's got fluid in it, take the lower cooler line off, start the engine, see if fluid comes out.
If no fluid comes out, the pump is broken.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on the pump
Old 09-06-2010, 08:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

There is a slight chance you are just low on fluid. You said you were filling and checking and then started it, when you should check it with the engine running. If the cooler and pump dained down while everything was being worked on and you checked flyuid level with engine off you could be a few quarts low.