Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where can I get 3/8" tube with GM trans cooler flare? (see picture)

Old 09-13-2010, 11:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Where can I get 3/8" tube with GM trans cooler flare? (see picture)

Where can I get straight lengths of 3/8" OD tube with a flare on it as shown in the picture? They can be found on many GM trans cooler applications, usually going into the trans cooler in the radiator and/or the trans case. The ones I found are already, and I want straight lengths.

The guys at my local NAPA thought they had it when I talked to them over the phone, but they don't. I don't even know the proper name for it. I need two of these - each on the end of a straight piece of tube, so I can make my trans cooler lines.

Any suggestions/help?

Thanks, -Dave
Attached Thumbnails Where can I get 3/8" tube with GM trans cooler flare? (see picture)-img_1233e.jpg  
Old 09-13-2010, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its a quick connect fitting. dont know if thats the formal name for it or not but you'll probably have to change the fitting on the trans and go with a regular style screw on if you want to build your own lines. you have a bit of length on that one you have boxed in.. you could use a compression fitting and then extend it with regular 3/8 line.

Last edited by got-a-ls1; 09-13-2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:45 AM
TECH Addict

Yea, when I say "quick connect" or "quick disconnect" the guys at the parts store automatically think of the fuel line, which has a slightly different flare that will not work (I tried.)

I really want to get the quick-connect fitting to work. My best alternative is to swap out the fittings in the trans for an AN-style fitting, flare the end of my tube with a 37* flare, and hold it on with a tube nut. HOWEVER, I am going to run into some big problems trying to bend the tube with the flare nut on there because the bend has to be really really close to the end of the tube. On top of that, it will also be a nightmare to install or adjust once the trans is in.

Does anybody have experience with the Mastercool hydraulic flaring kits? I know they make fuel line quick-disconnect fittings, but will they do the the pictured trans line flares?

Originally Posted by got-a-ls1
its a quick connect fitting. dont know if thats the formal name for it or not but you'll probably have to change the fitting on the trans and go with a regular style screw on if you want to build your own lines. you have a bit of length on that one you have boxed in.. you could use a compression fitting and then extend it with regular 3/8 line.

Last edited by FastKat; 09-13-2010 at 12:26 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:17 PM
TECH Addict

Maybe this should be in the Conversions & Hybrids section?
Old 09-14-2010, 05:31 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can't just do the whole thing in -6 line?
Old 09-14-2010, 10:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FastKat
Where can I get straight lengths of 3/8" OD tube with a flare on it as shown in the picture? They can be found on many GM trans cooler applications, usually going into the trans cooler in the radiator and/or the trans case. The ones I found are already, and I want straight lengths.

The guys at my local NAPA thought they had it when I talked to them over the phone, but they don't. I don't even know the proper name for it. I need two of these - each on the end of a straight piece of tube, so I can make my trans cooler lines.

Any suggestions/help?

Thanks, -Dave
There is a hydraulic toolset that does the GM fuel quick connects. Maybe it also does these. From memory its $400+.

Or you could get the translines from trans to front of engine for example and use the straight QC ends from those.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:16 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default solution for hooking up lines

I used compression fittings that were 3/8 hose bib on one end got them from jegs they work great.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Derale/259/13031/10002/-113031 -

Derale Compression Fitting Kit
13031 - Der ale Compression Fitting Kit

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where can I get 3/8" tube with GM trans cooler flare? (see picture)