Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0 Conversion w/ 4l60e - Source for Core?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 01:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 6.0 Conversion w/ 4l60e - Source for Core?

After searching the forum I am more confused than ever with the many options. Suggestions and information would be greatly appreciated.

If I have a complete drivetrain rebuild/conversion for a 69 Camaro what would be the best source for a core to build up? I am worried about the engine/trans/bellhousing/torque conv./tailshaft etc. fitting and working together. I have an early 6.0 liter block with an aftermarket crank (408 build). I understand from searching some early 6.0 liter blocks had a crank which sticks out further but I don't think that applies to me since I replaced it. I understand from searching that a V-6 4l60e, like from an S-10, probably would not work because of input shaft length (or something like that). The engine will be drive-by-cable so I had planned on getting a 99-02 f-body PCM which would control the trans. Driveshaft will be custom and rear end will be built up.

If I understand what I have read, I could use a 60e core from an f-body which was originally mounted to a 5.7L or a truck 60e originally mounted to a 4.3/5.x/6.0L engine. Do I have this correct? I am afraid I will miss some detail which leads to incompatability and I will not know about it until after I expend $$$/time.

Can someone clarify/correct my gameplan if they see something wrong?

Thanks.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by au1991rx
After searching the forum I am more confused than ever with the many options. Suggestions and information would be greatly appreciated.

If I have a complete drivetrain rebuild/conversion for a 69 Camaro what would be the best source for a core to build up? I am worried about the engine/trans/bellhousing/torque conv./tailshaft etc. fitting and working together. I have an early 6.0 liter block with an aftermarket crank (408 build). I understand from searching some early 6.0 liter blocks had a crank which sticks out further but I don't think that applies to me since I replaced it. I understand from searching that a V-6 4l60e, like from an S-10, probably would not work because of input shaft length (or something like that). The engine will be drive-by-cable so I had planned on getting a 99-02 f-body PCM which would control the trans. Driveshaft will be custom and rear end will be built up.

If I understand what I have read, I could use a 60e core from an f-body which was originally mounted to a 5.7L or a truck 60e originally mounted to a 4.3/5.x/6.0L engine. Do I have this correct? I am afraid I will miss some detail which leads to incompatability and I will not know about it until after I expend $$$/time.

Can someone clarify/correct my gameplan if they see something wrong?

Thanks.
Just ran into the same problem trying to get my 65e repaired but wanting to drive the car while I rebuild it. You have to get one out of a ls car or it wont work unless you get a 200 dollar flywheel spacer kit and a different starter which I dont know the one that will work and that would be another 100 or 200 depending on what is needed. A ls motor has a shorter crank than a vortec crank. I just bought a 60e out of a 98 chevy van and found out it wont work so now i am driving accross a few states to get the right trans.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:33 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the info. So if I get a car ls trans I can avoid the extra expense for flywheel spacer/special starter. A simple oversight such as this will dig deep into your pocket and become frustrating. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to respond.. Good luck on the rebuild.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

the trucks around 2000-2001 had the longer section on the rear of the crank, but i believe they used 4L80E trans
anyway, if your using a stroker crank, doesnt matter, as you will have the standard rear flange-if a Scatt crank, the flywheel bolts will not be metric
basically, the 4L80E trans used a converter like a 400, 350, 700r-after GM ditched the longer crank, they made them all the same, but used a .400 spacer on the back of the crank, and a diff flywheel, for the 4L80E
the 4L60E uses a longer snout on the converter, so doesnt need the .400 spacer, and uses a diff flywheel-i thought all the starters were the same, the teeth on the flywheel remain the same distance from the block
i would go for a 4L80E trans, esp with a stroker-the 4L80E flywheels/spacers are out there for sale, or use the correct one from TCI-i understand guys are using the 60 ECU's to work with 80's, although i only ran carbs with stand along controllers on the 80's-if your worried about money, use a 400 or
350 ,lol-you aint seen nothing yet
i know its confusing, not sure why they ever did that-kind of like that chevelle thing, where they used one frame mount for 307's, another for 350-454, or GM small/large flywheel, staggered or straight bolts on starter
Old 09-29-2010, 01:37 PM
Teching In

Good info here.. thanks Forced. My first inclination was to use an 80e because of the stroker until I realized that on a lowered car I would most likely have to cut the tunnel to fit... did not want to go there. I decided to start w/ a built 60e since car wont see track time/slicks and I would TRY to be somewhat gentle on takeoff. We will see how that works out...

After I find a core and get it built I will buy the convertor and flexplate from a forum sponsor... I am sure they can help make sure I get the right one now that I understand I have the standard rear flange. Thanks Again.