Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need feedback on your 4l80e from one of our vendors

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 05:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need feedback on your 4l80e from one of our vendors

I have been looking at 4l80e transmissions for my Trans Am for awhile now. I have talked with both Performabuilt and FLT.

I have read multiple threads about these two sponsors when comparing 60e transmissions, but not much on the 80e.

I like Performabuilts details of what is included on their website, Very helpfull when I call, and they have a layway program (Since I don't actually need the trans yet, I don't need it sitting around wasting my warranty period). So that works great. Also they dont require a core. Their price is $3295 shipped

FLT has a special going on until Thurs. for 10% off and free return shipping of core. I don't have an 80e core though since its going in a F-body. I spoke with one of their representatives and they were willing to take a deposit to lock me in on the sale special. The discounted price would be $2025 + $850 (core charge) + shipping. $2875 and depending on shipping puts me around the performabuilt price. FLT also offered to work with me on a deposit to get in on the sale price and pay the rest when i'm ready.

FLT's description was pretty vague compared to Performabuilt. Based on the reputation they have with members on this board though i'm sure they do a good job as does Performabuilt.

I'm looking for opinions from people who are running these trans. Any problems? Also is there any way to actually compare FLT's lv 4 vs. Performabuilts. I know each builder has their own technique and special things they like to do, but a detailed list of parts would be nice.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kkslds
FLT's description was pretty vague compared to Performabuilt. Based on the reputation they have with members on this board though i'm sure they do a good job as does Performabuilt.
Not sure what you mean by vague. Their parts list is just that, a list not a paragraph.

And as far as comparing the two well this may help you some:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...pb-level2.html
Old 09-28-2010, 08:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is from their post on a 4L60E in your thread:
Below in Bold print are things we do that are unique to the FLT build.

Level 3
•FLT machined performance pump.
•Media blast case, bell housing, and tail housing to restore a new aluminum finish. Prep case for assembly.
•8 B/W hi-energy clutches w/koleen steels in 3-4 clutch
•Seal & gasket kit
•Bushing kit
•Alto wide 2-4 red lined band with reinforced anchor
•Bonded pistons/input drum
•Beast sun shell
•B/W 29 element sprag
•New BW 4L65 low roller clutch
•Transgo HD-2 shift kit
•Corvette servo
•New solenoids
•New internal wiring harness
•New GM Spacer plate
•B/W clutches
•Updated aluminum accumulator pistons
•FLT prepped valvebody
•Filter
•Set end play to FLT specs
•Case cooler fittings

It gives specific detail on what is going to be done, what brand of parts you will get, and also has highlighted what is unique to their build.

This is from their website on their 4L80E:
•High-energy clutches
•Seal & gasket kit
•Bushings
•6 clutches in direct drum
•Bonded pistons
•34 element intermediate sprag
•Transgo HD-2 shift kit
•Low roller clutch
•All solenoids
•Internal wire harness
•Filter
•Spacer plate
•New speed sensors
•Set end play to our performance specs
•Torrington bearing rear case

I'm not a transmission know it all and if I was I would build my own. I looked at each sponsors website to get as much detail as possible. So when I say "vague" I suppose I mean in comparison to Performabuilts description. Below is the address to each 4L80E from both sponsors. Its kind of tuff to compare the two transmissions with this kind of info. I'm just looking for as much detail as possible before I make a final decision.

http://www.finishlinetrans.com/trans...Stripe4L80.htm

http://www.performabuilt.com/4l80e.html
Old 09-28-2010, 09:51 PM
TECH Regular

I've seen em both. Been running a performabuilt for 2 years. Bought an FLT lvl 4 last week....

You mentioned something about comparing the two transmissions and I thought of that post.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:00 AM
Banned

Thanks Kevin,
to the op I'm sure you saw the build sheets are on our website and if there are any more questions you may have just call or post or pm and I will get the answers for you.
Andy