Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble shifting out of Park

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 09:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble shifting out of Park

Sometimes my shifter will not let me shift into gear from park. It won't let me depress the button and I have to fight with it until it finally works. It usually happens on cold days. Has anyone had this problem before and can any adjustments be made?
Old 10-01-2010, 10:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes i have this i have no clue how to fix it tho. but its not as hard as you mentioned. it wont let me depress the button but have to do it 2-3 times so it shifts lol..i subscribed
Old 10-05-2010, 08:18 AM
Teching In

Has no one else had this problem?
Old 10-05-2010, 07:39 PM
Launching!

i bought a 02 ss with all kinds of little problems this being one of them but mine was b/c the steering column was broke. when you turn the key it in turn turns this bracket thingy inside the column oposite of the key and that pulls on a cable that allows you to select a gear.. hope that might help. sry no pix

i googled alot about steering column repair and fixed mine.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:54 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is some part in the shifter itself...I practically had to break my fingers to get that button to push in. When I had my trans rebuilt, they changed out the part. Sorry, i don't know the name of it.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:15 PM
Teching In

ok, i think this wont be that much if help to you, but i have that same problem but worse. it used to be like yours, i would have to fight it a couple times to shift it any time i needed to press the button, and now i cant do it at all no matter how long i try to fight it. but if you remove the ash try and put your fingers down there and push something back towards the rear of the car you can push the button and shift it no problem, which is what i have to do every time i drive. ha ha, pain in the ***. tomorrow I'm replacing my headlight gear, cause its making the grinding noise, and i was gonna check out the shifter problem too. i dont know anything about it, but i thought it might be a loose cable or part or what ever the little button i have to push to be able to shift is loose or something, if i figure it out i'll post another reply and tell you what i did