Go Back   LS1TECH > CHASSIS, SUSPENSION, APPEARANCE > Automatic Transmission
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Automatic Transmission
4L60E | 4L80E | TH350 | TH400 | TH2004R | Powerglide | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by
PerformaBuilt Transmissions

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-14-2010, 05:37 PM   #1
On The Tree
1998 Chevrolet Camaro
 
Trader Rating: 7
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lakeland, FL
Posts: 155
Default 4L60E issue. Torque converter problem or transmission problem

So I'm driving down the road with the transmission lever on D cruising around 50 mph and the TCC is locked. I shift the lever to OD at speeds over 60 mph for better highway fuel economy. So I apply about 30% throttle to pass a slow moving car. On both 3rd and 4th gear, the TCC seems to be slipping even if locked. Sounds like someone with a manual transmission when their clutch is slipping badly. On HPtuners, I have disabled pulsewidth modulation for a solid TCC lock up function and when more throttle is applied when the TCC is commanded, it is the same effect like a manual car with a slipping clutch when more throttle is given. It stops slipping when I lessen the throttle. The torque converter is a new 3800 stall Vigilante 9.5" converter. So is the problem with the 3-4 clutchpacks in my 4L60E transmission or is it the lock up clutch of the torque converter itself? I know the stock 12" TCC did not slip when lock up was commanded with more throttle to pass. Am I right?
__________________
98 Camaro: TSP 5.3L heads and TV2 cam, Vigilante 3800 stall, 3.23 gears
Best 1/8th: 7.57 @ 95.43 mph, 1.74 60'

Update: 12/30/11... My 5.3 Heads/TV2 cammed Camaro is still for sale... $9,000 obo.
pdbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:55 PM   #2
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now
 
Jays_SSZ28's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 2
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,176
Default

If you have a solid WOT 2-3 shift then it's not the 3-4 clutches, it's the tuning.
__________________
2001 Z28
2002 SS
Jays_SSZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:12 PM   #3
On The Tree
1998 Chevrolet Camaro
 
Trader Rating: 7
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lakeland, FL
Posts: 155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays_SSZ28 View Post
If you have a solid WOT 2-3 shift then it's not the 3-4 clutches, it's the tuning.
Yeah, 2-3 shifts are firm as well as the 3-4 shifts, from part throttle to WOT. No "soft slippy shifts," no rev limiter banging then shifts. FIRM!

Are you saying that a bad tune can cause the TCC to slip? I don't get it. When the TCC is commanded, it would be at the 100% duty cycle lock because I tuned out the pulse width modulation feature on HPtuners to further reduce wear and tear on the TCC lock up plate in the torque converter.

In addition to this problem, TCC lock up seems to slip even more when I've been driving stop-and-go for more than 30 minutes in hot weather. Other than that, the slip is less pronounced, but still very noticeable when the motor and transmission are just warming up and at the minimum temperature for the ECM to command TCC lock up.
__________________
98 Camaro: TSP 5.3L heads and TV2 cam, Vigilante 3800 stall, 3.23 gears
Best 1/8th: 7.57 @ 95.43 mph, 1.74 60'

Update: 12/30/11... My 5.3 Heads/TV2 cammed Camaro is still for sale... $9,000 obo.
pdbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:10 PM   #4
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now
 
Jays_SSZ28's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 2
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,176
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdbq View Post
Yeah, 2-3 shifts are firm as well as the 3-4 shifts, from part throttle to WOT. No "soft slippy shifts," no rev limiter banging then shifts. FIRM!

Are you saying that a bad tune can cause the TCC to slip? I don't get it. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdbq View Post
So is the problem with the 3-4 clutchpacks in my 4L60E transmission or is it the lock up clutch of the torque converter itself?
Well in the above post you are asking if it could be the 3-4 clutch or tcc clutch. I just suggested that if it has a good 2-3 and 3-4 then you can rule out the 3-4 clutch as being bad.

So that leaves the tcc or tuning.

Ok then so your tcc slip is a low pitch grind/rumble right?

It sounds to me like your tcc is simply unlocking because you didn't mention a horrible rumble (tcc slip). If you're logging tcc pwm you're going to see a pwm number even when the tcc is not locked.

A simple solution to answer the question is it tuning or mechanical. Go into hptuners VCM controls, lock the converter manually and see if it slips under load. If it doesn't slip under load while manually locked then it's the apply and release speeds.
__________________
2001 Z28
2002 SS
Jays_SSZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:13 PM   #5
TECH Veteran
Garage is empty, add now
 
joecar's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: So.Cal.
Posts: 4,496
Default

If PCM detects misfires it will unlock the TCC.. so scan/log for misfires.
joecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:47 AM   #6
On The Tree
1998 Chevrolet Camaro
 
Trader Rating: 7
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lakeland, FL
Posts: 155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays_SSZ28 View Post
Well in the above post you are asking if it could be the 3-4 clutch or tcc clutch. I just suggested that if it has a good 2-3 and 3-4 then you can rule out the 3-4 clutch as being bad.

So that leaves the tcc or tuning.

Ok then so your tcc slip is a low pitch grind/rumble right?

It sounds to me like your tcc is simply unlocking because you didn't mention a horrible rumble (tcc slip). If you're logging tcc pwm you're going to see a pwm number even when the tcc is not locked.

A simple solution to answer the question is it tuning or mechanical. Go into hptuners VCM controls, lock the converter manually and see if it slips under load. If it doesn't slip under load while manually locked then it's the apply and release speeds.
There is no TCC shudder or grinding noise when the lockup is applied 100%. It just slips when locked when there is 20%-40% throttle to pass someone. You can feel it unlock completely once you get over half throttle.
__________________
98 Camaro: TSP 5.3L heads and TV2 cam, Vigilante 3800 stall, 3.23 gears
Best 1/8th: 7.57 @ 95.43 mph, 1.74 60'

Update: 12/30/11... My 5.3 Heads/TV2 cammed Camaro is still for sale... $9,000 obo.
pdbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #7
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now
 
Lee12609's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 3
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 181
Default

Bumping an old thread my 98 is doing the same thing even at low throttle at 70mph or more it feels like its slipping. Gas mileage has went from 22 to 17 in just a couple tanks. At 80mph cruising it surges like its slipping. Car has a 3400 revmax converter with upgraded tcc.
Lee12609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:00 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird




Paid Advertisement
Reply

Tags
04, 1998, 23, 4l60e, bad, camaro, converter, driving, faulty, lockup, problems, shift, shudder, slip, tcc, torque


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Service - Privacy Statement - JOBS
Emails & Contact Details