Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paddle shifter HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 04:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paddle shifter HELP

I have a 4L60E with paddle shifter in 68 camaro. Paddle shifter is sending sig to the TCI CPU but not sending to the trans. I think there is a short in the wire that sends sig to trans. What do you think? What wire sends the sig?
VIN
Old 11-16-2010, 03:57 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BigVin
I have a 4L60E with paddle shifter in 68 camaro. Paddle shifter is sending sig to the TCI CPU but not sending to the trans. I think there is a short in the wire that sends sig to trans. What do you think? What wire sends the sig?
VIN
TCI has a forum for questions like yours.

That said, I've been working through a TCI TCU with paddle shifter install. Not the greatest instructions on system integration.

With mine, in order to go from auto to manual, I have to use a toggle/rocker switch to activate manual mode. Do you have a toggle switch that controls manual mode?

Also, do you have instructions for installing TCU and for Paddles?

There are two sets of instructions on TCI's web site, one with display and one without. Again, can't say much for TCI ability to get things right. If you select PN 301442 you get same instruction sheet as for PN 301441. Look the same to me...LOL

There is a section on trouble shooting. I didn't read it all, but it should answer your question.

Hope you have TCI softwear and TCU installation instructions. The info for wiring manual mode is located in TCU instructions.

Paddle Shifter install instructions.

http://www.tciauto.com/Instructions/Files/301441.pdf
Old 11-17-2010, 04:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by poorhousenext
TCI has a forum for questions like yours.

That said, I've been working through a TCI TCU with paddle shifter install. Not the greatest instructions on system integration.

With mine, in order to go from auto to manual, I have to use a toggle/rocker switch to activate manual mode. Do you have a toggle switch that controls manual mode?

Also, do you have instructions for installing TCU and for Paddles?

There are two sets of instructions on TCI's web site, one with display and one without. Again, can't say much for TCI ability to get things right. If you select PN 301442 you get same instruction sheet as for PN 301441. Look the same to me...LOL

There is a section on trouble shooting. I didn't read it all, but it should answer your question.

Hope you have TCI softwear and TCU installation instructions. The info for wiring manual mode is located in TCU instructions.

Paddle Shifter install instructions.

http://www.tciauto.com/Instructions/Files/301441.pdf
Poorhouse the trans and paddles have been working for 3 years then it just stopped working. The CPU is getting the signal from the paddle shifter but not sending it to trans. I thought someone on here could help? The trans has to get a signal to shift from the CPU so I think it could be a wire but what wire sends the signal?
Vin
Old 11-17-2010, 12:30 PM
11 Second Club

Poorhouse the trans and paddles have been working for 3 years then it just stopped working. The CPU is getting the signal from the paddle shifter but not sending it to trans. I thought someone on here could help? The trans has to get a signal to shift from the CPU so I think it could be a wire but what wire sends the signal?
Vin
Vin,

I understand your frustration. Are your paddles CAN wired or Digital Wired?

Edited to add (Vin just re-read your post. Sounds like you are looking for wire colors that go from TCU to transmission, not Paddles to TCU. If so you need a copy of TCI TCU and wire harness instructions. Sounds like connector C11 is one you need to take reading at, and they are ohm values.

Have you connected a Laptop with TCI software to TCU with provided cable to verify that Paddles and TCU are communicating and if so is TCU and trans communicating with each other? The link I posted has Picture of Screen that shows you what to look for as you go through Trouble Shooting procedure for how your paddles are wired, CAN or Digital.

6.5 Transmission will not shift with the paddles.

Verify power to the paddle shifter. If the paddle is equipped with the optional display this can be verified by the display turning on. If the paddle shifter is not equipped with the display, measure the voltage between pin 1 and pin 2. If this is approximately 12V (battery voltage) then there is power at the paddle shifter.

If power is confirmed at the paddle shifter, check shift communication with the laptop. Connect the laptop to the transmission controller. First verify the transmission controller is in manual mode. This can be seen on the monitor screen in the current modes section as shown in Figure 11 (lower circle). If the manual mode input has been defined correctly, then the Manual Mode should be turned on. Then verify the range of the transmission is Drive or a high gear that will allow up shifting.

Figure 12 -TCU Monitor Screen
Figure 11 – Monitor Screen

If using discrete inputs for shifting, verify the mode input setup as described in Section 3.2. From the monitor screen, you should see the Up shift and Downshift digital inputs switch to On briefly, during the shift.

If using CAN for shifting, verify the CAN is configured as described in Section 3.1.

6.6 Display turns on, displays values most of the time, but will occasionally go blank.

The display will go blank or display “Wireless Error” when it does not receive a message from the receiver module.If the display only drops out occasionally, the problem is probably related to wireless interference. Move the receiver module closer to the paddle shifter.

6.7 Display turns on, scrolls TCI and then goes blank.

See Troubleshooting Tip #6.6 resolution.

6.8 Display shows “Wireless Error” when a paddle is pulled.
See Troubleshooting

Now I took a look at my T-Comp TCU install instructions. Section 2.2.11 "Manual Shift Connection" may have wire colors your looking for. The wire Connector identifier is "C11". Instructions for checking up shift & down shift connector pin outs for expected Ohm reading to verify if they are working correctly is there.

The same set of instructions list color of wires and connector they are located in, for up shift signal, down shift signal and wire color to activate TCU's MANUAL MODE. These are ones listed for my 2010 model TCU wire harness.

Terminal (A) (Red Wire) - momentary +12 Volts for bump down
Terminal (B) (Yellow Wire) - momentary +12 Volts for bump up
Terminal (C) (Blue Wire) - +12 volts to activate manual mode

I have CAN RF shift setup. If you have RF shifting. Instruction say to make sure they are located close enough to each other to communicate. One of yours could have moved, fell down, etc so that it no longers communicates with the controller, might want to make sure that has not happened as noted in TCI instructions for not being close enough.

I may be frustrating you, but when it comes to wiring and electronic you need to follow Manufacturer trouble shooting instructions. They will keep you from chasing your tail.

If you don't have the software and instructions in hand, I strongly urge you to contact TCI. You will need their cable too so you can trouble shoot TCU and Paddles with Laptop. The software may be down loadable form their web site as well as installation instructions.

Last edited by poorhousenext; 11-17-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:30 PM
Teching In

Poorhouse my Twist paddles are sending a signal to the CPU. Mode

switch is working all verifyed through the dashboard.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:36 PM
11 Second Club

Poorhouse my Twist paddles are sending a signal to the CPU. Mode

switch is working all verifyed through the dashboard.
LOL....VIN,

Now you tell me you have Twist Paddles, not TCI paddles.

I've been chasing my tail thinking you had TCI's TCU and their paddles.

Ok, now we can go a different route. I'm going to direct you to a site where there are quite a few people that have Twist Paddles installed on their car.

It's possible you will get a response from Vendor/Manufacturer there too.

Well just checked that site and low and behold found you had been a member there since 2005. See you posted problem and have now gotten the help you needed from the best source, the Manufacturer. He would have probably posted a responce sooner if you had Paddles in Title....LOL

Check out my 64 Vette Pro-Tour build in project section on page 6 now since I haven't had anything to update on it since last of Oct. That is if your not to frustrated with my responces to "Problem"

Quick Reply: Paddle shifter HELP