Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Downshift MPH Settings

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 12:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Downshift MPH Settings

Is there any thing bad or good about having the car downshift at different mph. My car for instance will only downshift to 1st gear if I am under 20mph, but I would like it to downshift to 1st gear at anything under 30mph. Could I hurt anything the trans by changing the downshift mph point.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Up to a point it is fine for sure, I have mine changed to downshift at higher mph and it makes the car a lot more responsive.

I wouldn't think you would want it set too close to your redline though so that is downshifting and then immediately upshifting. I asked this same question and never got an answer as far as how close is too close or what issues could arise.

I have a cammed car shifting at 6300rpm and my trans has a lot of upgrades, those might also be taken into consideration.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:10 PM
TECH Regular

Do you have tuning software? If you do log it so you can see exactly what mph you redline at in each gear, or just hold in gear and watch your gauges. Then go from there keeping in mind the times it takes for the transmission to shift after its commanded to. I never do a WOT downshift to 1st in my car cause it will just bald the tires and hit second still spinning. I dont think you will necessarily hurt your trans by raising the settings, but obviously the more WOT downshifts you do, the more wear and tear. And as the above post states you dont want it downshifting then immediately upshifting. Or you might, its your car.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:29 PM
12 Second Club

Got it thanks for the piece of mind guys.