Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission taps when in gear?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission taps when in gear?

been hearing a tapping noise coming from the bell housing when the transmission is in drive or reverse. its most audible when at idle, can faintly hear it going 5-10 miles an hour, silent above that. doesnt get louder or more frequent with higher rpm's. i was thinking it was a loose torque converter bolt, but they're all tight. the flex plate is a tci, doubt its that because my cars is basically stock except for a stall. i didnt see any cracks when i looked at it. the car starts, drives, and shifts fine. at this point im clueless, as most transmission stuff is greek to me. anybody have an idea of what this could be?
Old 12-19-2010, 03:13 PM

Loose bolts, cracked flexplate or bolts hitting the back of the block would be my guess. To be honest the runout on those FP's are not the best so I guess anything is possible. Might be the converter as well. Vince
Old 12-22-2010, 01:27 AM
On The Tree

http://s996.photobucket.com/albums/a...=VIDEO0001.mp4

heres a video. first 15 seconds are idling in park. after that its in reverse, i switch it to drive so theres a break in the tapping. at around 40 seconds i gave it some gas and the tapping becomes more frequent.

torque converter bolts are tight. no signs of cracking on the flexplate. converter was rebuilt in sept. drives/shifts fine. totally clueless here