Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

couple questions..

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 09:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default couple questions..

...so i gotta drop this tranny...again! Stupid local shop sold me a bunk trans..so Im at it again. First question...do I have to drain the fluid? I knw it'll be alot heavier..i dont care, draining it is a bitch..stupid engineers for not puttin a transmission drain plug!!! Will it pour out of the tailshaft if I dont???? let me know on those ok. Now...what seems to be a bigger issue...got the car up and started gettin things ready to come down..I noticed oil right where the tranny and engine mate, not tht unusual right....BUT this was on the passenger side and had a trail running along tht side of the oil pan! Now there isnt any oil tht would come out of the flywheel area right? Maybe its coming from uptop?? The heads looked fine..no oil seeping from the sides(gasket)...but maybe from the rear of the heads? I'll try to get some pics tmrw..but in the meantime..let me knw wht u guys thnk. Thanks
Old 01-06-2011, 11:43 AM
9 Second Club

Could just be your rear seal leaking. Take some photos and post up and I will try to check it out for you. It will not be your head gasket cause that would mean your leaking antifreeze.
As far as the tranny. You cant really drain it.
I just use a tranny jack from harbor freight. Whan I take the driveshaft and crossbrace off I lower the tranny slower and have a bucket ready it will leak out of the tail shaft.
Screw local tranny shops Just get a PERFROMABUILT LV2 and be done with it man. 5 years ago I had the same problem you did used a local tranny shop and they screwed me over 3 TIMES. I got fed up called Frank on here and he set me up with there lv2 tranny and never had a problem.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:51 PM
TECH Regular

Pretty sure that oil between engine and trans = bad rear main seal on the engine. Mine does it as well and I need to replace it at some point .
Old 01-07-2011, 08:29 PM
Launching!

ok guys..thanks for the help.....yea I knw I should jus get a good built trans..but $$$$ dont grow tht well for me right now....rear main seal.....hope its not a bitch to change...I mightaswell do now!!!
Old 01-07-2011, 09:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you tip the trans then fluid will leak out. if you keep it as level as possible very little will come out. but have a bucket just in case.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

put a pan to catch the trans fluid when you lower the tail shat.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Suck the trans fluid out from the dipstick tube using the orange colored $10 fluid pump from AutoZone.