Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E transmission removal help

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 08:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E transmission removal help

i started removing the transmission on my 99' ws6 today to put a yank 2800 stall just ran into a few problems....
-the bolts on the fly wheel are alen wrench heads...wtf do those need to be removed to drop the tranny?
-from the exhaust manifolds to the cats need to be removed i broke two of the three on the drivers side..after i get that removed what should i do? new pipes? now bolts? bypass the cats im not sure of what to do?
just need a lil help this is the first build i have doen could use some help from the more experienced
Old 01-10-2011, 08:08 PM
TECH Regular

i think the allen head bolts you are talking about are the flywheel to converter bolts and the converter is also splined to the trans.

as for the broken bolts in the exhaust manifolds you have a couple options. if it were me i would remove the manifolds and try to get the bolts out on the ground or take them to a machine shop and just have the drill them out. you could also buy new manifolds. my suggestions would be get some ebay headers and a y pipe.

any way. what are the mods and why did you pick that converter?
Old 01-10-2011, 08:14 PM
Staging Lane

thing is i wont need a y pipe because im doing an sts turbo build which has all the exhast tubing but i will probably remove the manifold bolts from the head and remove the broken bolts tht way i appreciate it
Old 01-10-2011, 08:15 PM
Staging Lane

mods are torquer v.2 cam 115 lsa valve springs and hardened pushrods ls6 intake 55 lb injectors and 67mm sts turbo methenol injected and i went with yank because good name brand and it will be a daily driver so i picked a 2800 stall
Old 01-11-2011, 08:36 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Camokid09
i started removing the transmission on my 99' ws6 today to put a yank 2800 stall just ran into a few problems....

-the bolts on the fly wheel are alen wrench heads...wtf do those need to be removed to drop the tranny?

No, the Flex plate to crank bolts do not need to be removed. The Torque Converter to Flex bolts do, there should be 3 total, you need a flywheel turner or you can chance it by "bumping" the ignition and hopefully you get lucky.

-from the exhaust manifolds to the cats need to be removed i broke two of the three on the drivers side..after i get that removed what should i do? new pipes? now bolts? bypass the cats im not sure of what to do?

IMO remove the cats, and it is ok to break the studs, it always happens. Save or sell as they are worth $$$.

Have a Y pipe fabbed for the kit or buy a set of headers and most offer a Off Road Y pipe. Either way you will be fine.
Enjoy

Edit* Either way since it does have a STS, you either remove the CATS and extend the Y pipe which MOST exhaust shops wont do if you have emission laws or you get heads now and make more power and use their Y Pipe. Mate it to the STS system.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 3 allen head bolts must be removed in order to separate the torque converter from the flywheel. If I remember correctly they are 8mm. I was able to get 2 of them out using a 5/16" allen wrench but the last one just about rounded out. USE AN 8MM ALLEN WRENCH. If you have a stubborn one you may want to put a little heat to it. I fought the hell out of one and finally resorted to heat. You shouldn't need any fancy flywheel turning tool. If your driveshaft is out (or the rear is on jackstands) just use a deep socket on the crank to turn it over (with the trans in neutral).
Old 01-11-2011, 06:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Also when you go to put everything back together run by your local gm dealer and pick up some new torque converter bolts. They have the provision for the allen bit in the center but are designed like a normal style bolt and you can use a regular wrench to install them to make it easier.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:42 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MYSTIC-1SC
Also when you go to put everything back together run by your local gm dealer and pick up some new torque converter bolts. They have the provision for the allen bit in the center but are designed like a normal style bolt and you can use a regular wrench to install them to make it easier.
I'm not sure about the Yank, but a Vigilante convertor has to be installed with the supplied bolts. They are shorter than the stock bolts.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:48 AM
Staging Lane

thanks for the advice every one and my buddy has the socket allen wrench tool just have to make sure it an 8mm
next should i just get an off-road y pipe? i could use stock pipes still as shown in the sts manuel.... and as for headers i was told by the sts manufactuer tht stock manifolds work better? true????
Old 01-20-2011, 12:46 AM
On The Tree

yeh my vig converter came with "special" bolts
Old 01-20-2011, 12:47 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Camokid09
thanks for the advice every one and my buddy has the socket allen wrench tool just have to make sure it an 8mm
next should i just get an off-road y pipe? i could use stock pipes still as shown in the sts manuel.... and as for headers i was told by the sts manufactuer tht stock manifolds work better? true????
the longtube headers dont work as well
Old 01-20-2011, 10:29 AM
Staging Lane

yeah im gonna stick with stock manifolds for now, and just got my tranny back in now im just getting everything back together then i can start my turbo cant wait i should have it done and tuned sometime in febuary depending on how much time i have to do it all

Quick Reply: 4L60E transmission removal help