Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Look what I found in my tranny pan...what now?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 12:36 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Look what I found in my tranny pan...what now?

Im making close to 400hp with a 4k stall. Transmission was having trouble shifting out of second so i decided to check the fluid and this is what i found. Looks like really fine metal shavings. Could it be the clutches?

The fluid was really clean when I upgraded my stall about to years ago and around 10k miles. My stall was/is working perfectly fine. Should i get it flushed and throw it in a lower mileage 4l60e 'till i save up for a built tranny?

Thanks for looking
Old 01-18-2011, 02:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Fine metal shavings are normal.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on normal. If the fresh fluid makes the trans act worse then its time for a build.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:16 AM
Launching!

That amount of grey is not normal.It looks to me like something is coming apart for sure most likely the converter.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:29 AM
Restricted User

Looks normal to me
Old 01-18-2011, 11:47 AM
10 Second Club

normal, looks good actually.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:02 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 1998LS1SS
[ i decided to check the fluid and this is what i found.
If you think thats bad, break open the filter. Sometimes theres more garbage in the filter than in the pan.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:48 PM
TECH Addict

that looks the same as when my other brand transmission took a dump. that does not look good. you can see all the nasty metal in the fluid. Looks like alot more then jsut your "normal wear and tear."
Old 01-18-2011, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA
that looks the same as when my other brand transmission took a dump. that does not look good. you can see all the nasty metal in the fluid. Looks like alot more then jsut your "normal wear and tear."
i agree.....to me,looks like a bit more stuff in there than normal.
good luck!
Old 01-18-2011, 09:04 PM
10 Second Club

That looks like a hurt transmission and it doesn't look "normal" to me. I use to build transmissions at a GM dealer and that looks pretty bad (sorry just being honest). Usually a normal transmission has material on the magnet but not that amount of grey/black material in the pan. Plus in one picture it looks like a chunk of metal possibly from a planetary set. Hard to say but flushing it won't help especially if it's already having trouble shifting out of second. If I had to guess I'd say burnt clutches or the 2-4 Band is having trouble applying in 2nd.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah that looks like it's toast. I mean you could always put clean fluid in, if the shifting gets worse then you need a rebuild.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:04 PM
Launching!

Yep 3-4 clutchs are prolly starting get a lil thin. Thats a problem with the 4l60e. They get low on fluid like a quart little over and they burn up. Id say 90% of the 4l60's we do thats whats wrong with them. I have seen around 1/4 inch clearence in the drum from the top steel to the snap ring.
Plus the heat from the stall dont help.Heat kills trannys cuts there life in half. Do you have a external cooler along with the factory cooler in the rad?
Old 01-20-2011, 02:13 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the input guys. Like stated before, the fluid looked nothing like this when the torque converter went in and it hasn't been shifting out of second gear at WOT.

Will the torque converter be ok if i fill it up with tranny fluid a couple of times to try to flush it out?
Old 01-20-2011, 11:50 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TurboStangJON
That looks like a hurt transmission and it doesn't look "normal" to me. I use to build transmissions at a GM dealer and that looks pretty bad (sorry just being honest). Usually a normal transmission has material on the magnet but not that amount of grey/black material in the pan. Plus in one picture it looks like a chunk of metal possibly from a planetary set. Hard to say but flushing it won't help especially if it's already having trouble shifting out of second. If I had to guess I'd say burnt clutches or the 2-4 Band is having trouble applying in 2nd.

Thanks. And what looks like a chunk of metal if from running my finger through the pan.

What should i do with the torque converter. Will it be safe to throw it back in a low mileage 4l60e after i run some tranny fluid through it a couple of times?
Old 01-20-2011, 12:41 PM
Teching In

Either way the tranny is toast. A stall make heat which kills a transmission. If you don't have a temp gauge then you need to get one! Just around town a converter will heat up more than it is supposed to! Even though it needs to be rebuilt you can stick a magnet up to the metal and see if its magnetic. This tells you if it is aluminum or steel. Either a planetary or if it is a converter that went bad you have bothbecause the steel coming from the converter eats away at the pump! Typically if there's non magnetic material in the tranny its aluminum and its from the pump!

Last edited by bigmac108; 01-20-2011 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:47 PM
Teching In

converters are hard toflush so my recommendation would be to freshen the converter. A tranny and converter share fluid. A local converter shop can always cut apart a converter and freshmen them. It's usually fairly cheap. Remember that the cooler lines are filled with metal too so the cooler at least needs flushed probably replaced!
Old 01-20-2011, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes.....cut & clean it now,or your next tranny you put the converter in is toast tooo...
Old 01-20-2011, 04:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bigmac108
Either way the tranny is toast. A stall make heat which kills a transmission. If you don't have a temp gauge then you need to get one! Just around town a converter will heat up more than it is supposed to! Even though it needs to be rebuilt you can stick a magnet up to the metal and see if its magnetic. This tells you if it is aluminum or steel. Either a planetary or if it is a converter that went bad you have bothbecause the steel coming from the converter eats away at the pump! Typically if there's non magnetic material in the tranny its aluminum and its from the pump!
Never noticed the temp go above 190 and i had a pretty big transmission cooler after the stock cooler/radiator. It always ran fairly cool. I think the fact that i have a 160 stat and the cooler ran after the stock radiator/cooler helped out alot. Ill check and see if the particles are magnetic. Good advice.

Originally Posted by bigmac108
converters are hard toflush so my recommendation would be to freshen the converter. A tranny and converter share fluid. A local converter shop can always cut apart a converter and freshmen them. It's usually fairly cheap. Remember that the cooler lines are filled with metal too so the cooler at least needs flushed probably replaced!
Looks like ill be sending it back to yank.

Originally Posted by heymoej
yes.....cut & clean it now,or your next tranny you put the converter in is toast tooo...

thanks.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

trans fluid exposed to some heat should be changed every 5000 miles or less. more power or higher stalls heat the fluid up and wears the stock clutches alot faster.a filter is $18 and tranny fluid is another $20.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:38 PM
10 Second Club

I agree on sending it back to Yank because it's better to be safe than sorry. If you put a newer trans in cannot stress the importance of flushing the cooler lines. More transmissions are toasted after people rebuild them and leave all of the old fluid and metal particles in the cooler. Flush it and once you think you've flushed it enough, flush it again. I flushed 10 quarts of new fluid through the lines after one trans rebuild (just to give you an idea). I hope this information helps and good luck getting your car back together.

Quick Reply: Look what I found in my tranny pan...what now?