Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E bell housing broke, inspection plate missing

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 4L60E bell housing broke, inspection plate missing

So the other day I brought my Trans Am to get an oil change and while it was on the lift, I took the opportunity to look at her from the bottom. When I bought the car, I had to have the Trans rebuilt and the car hasn't seen 200 miles since then. So while I'm under the car I see that the round inspection plate at the bottom, front of the bell housing is gone and the bit of metal between that opening and the block is broke out and missing. Will this effect my car at all? Will the bell housing break under acceleration? Is it important that I get it replaced?
Old 01-18-2011, 04:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I use to build transmissions for a GM dealer most of our remans didn't come with those inspection plates. Having that little hole will let a small amount of debris in which is probably nothing to worry about. If you're uncomfortable with it I would try and find one on here or at the dealer for a couple of bucks. Next time you get your oil changed pop it into place and you should be ready to ride. As for the metal chunk missing they probably used a prybar to seperate the bellhousing from the engine block due to corrosion on the dowel pins. Do you have a pic? It probably doesn't need replacement because I've never seen a cracked bellhousing on a 4L60E. Just to be safe I would take the car back to whoever did the trans to express your concerns so if anything happens you have proof of their mistake. I've left a couple of those plates off by accident and they probably have some sitting around their shop. As a matter of fact I'll look around my garage, I probably have one and can send it to you. .

Last edited by TurboStangJON; 01-18-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:56 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

It's not a big deal. People with th350, 400, 4L80E swaps have no lower bellhousing and only have 5 of the 8 bellhousing bolts in use.
There is a dust shield for swap transmissions but most people prefer to not use them and that leaves 1/3 or more of the flexplate/converter exposed. People have been leaving the dust shield off for decades.

That hole in your bellhousing isn't going to hurt anything, plus it's kind of pointless to put the plug in it if theres a chunk of aluminum missing.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well if it's not a big deal then I'll leave it as is. I've got plenty more to worry about on that project. Besides, I'd really love a 6L60E with paddle shifters in the future so...I'll let it sit. Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: 4L60E bell housing broke, inspection plate missing