Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e from hell!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 05:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in october my tranny went out, after lookin around for a while i found a local tranny shop that had great price and gave me numbers of people who had their tranny rebuilt from them, so i went with them, took about a week, had cracked drum, bad solenoid. it was rebuilt and everythin was replaced, after getting the car back i noticed that once in OD, when i let off the gas around 65 MPH, it would sound like i put it in 2nd, then when i got back on the gas, it would kick up to about 3500 rpms and sound like it was in neutral, i had to either kick it in the ***, or press the brake.

so after taking it back multiple times he bought 2 new valve bodies, 4 rebuilds, new clutches and everything AGAIN.

got the car back and it still does the same thing...... so now he is going to replace all of the electronics, solenoids, and everything.....

so does anybody have any idea what could be causing this???? im pretty sure its not internal because everything has been replaced atleast once.

Thanks,
Sam

then to top it off, my o2 sensor went out, had to get it replaced, and new spark plugs to fix the missfire it had, i was like, oh sweet only onna be like 200 bucks, ...... HELL NO

600 bucks for spark plugs o2 sensor and labor..... 4 grand in the damn car right now and it still dont work
Old 01-19-2011, 05:13 PM
The House is Rockin'

Originally Posted by 1999transamls1
then to top it off, my o2 sensor went out, had to get it replaced, and new spark plugs to fix the missfire it had, i was like, oh sweet only onna be like 200 bucks, ...... HELL NO

600 bucks for spark plugs o2 sensor and labor..... 4 grand in the damn car right now and it still dont work
find a new shop to wrench on your ride, 600 bucks is a cryin shame. did you take it to the stealership?
Old 01-19-2011, 06:31 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Two different valve bodies and four rebuilds using the same electronics?

Now he's going to replace them? I'd say thats the problem the whole time. That and the fact that a misfire can cause the transmission to act weird, it can disable lock up, make it stay in third, etc.

He actually gave you phone numbers of past customers? I'd be pissed if a shop passed my number around. I think with all the bullshit you've been through with this guy you maybe should give a few people a call and talk about your problems. Although all the numbers are probably his friends and family.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:45 PM
Restricted User

You got fucked. It shouldn't even take an hour to do plugs and wires. and an 02 sensor should take about 5 mins. Spark plugs and wires hsould be $60 and an 02 sensor should be about $60. So $120 in parts and he charged you $480 in labor for 1 1/2 hour of work tops. That is horrible. Looks to me like you need to start working on your own car. Find a different shop immediatly
Old 01-19-2011, 09:38 PM
11 Second Club

well they had to run codes, they looked at the tranny even though i never told them to( my dad did) and other sht, i will look at the reciept later, and about the tranny, i already have it under warrenty, so i might as well stick it out, i didnt have money to pay for it when it broke so my dad lent me the money, but told me where to get it fixed, if he,cant get it fixed, i will et my money back and get an flt or performa built tranny, i know its free under warrenty but its been there for 2 months and nothing has worked...... hopefully he will step up his game

Originally Posted by z99ls1
You got fucked. It shouldn't even take an hour to do plugs and wires. and an 02 sensor should take about 5 mins. Spark plugs and wires hsould be $60 and an 02 sensor should be about $60. So $120 in parts and he charged you $480 in labor for 1 1/2 hour of work tops. That is horrible. Looks to me like you need to start working on your own car. Find a different shop immediatly
he said the last 2 spark plugs were a PITA to get to, and its cold as ***** here and there is gonna be alot of snow, cant work on it atm =/, not to mention i dont have a garage lol
Old 01-19-2011, 10:25 PM
Restricted User

he said the last 2 spark plugs were a PITA to get to, and its cold as ***** here and there is gonna be alot of snow, cant work on it atm =/, not to mention i dont have a garage lol
Ohh not having a garage sucks. Although my garage is freezing. I put on 5 shirts and pants and start wrenching lol
Old 01-20-2011, 03:22 AM
11 Second Club

yea gravel drive way, i know it wasnt worth it if i could do it myself, i just cant, its a dd and i needed it fixed so i payed up lol, we have like 8 inches right now from this storm
Old 01-20-2011, 08:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spark plugs and wires for $60? Thats a negative ghost rider.....
Old 01-20-2011, 10:15 AM
Teching In

Your problem with the tranny sounds like an Ecm. A scanner would tell you what gear the ecm is calling for. A scanner would tell you alot about your problem. A scanner can be put into a command mode which allows you to control the various solenoids. 2nd is a weird gear for a 700 based tranny to downshift to because if that tranny isnt controlled by the solenoids then it would act as if it were in limp mode which causes third gear. The only way to crack an input drum is by heavy throttle or loading the tranny extremely hard. If you drive that way then the input drum needs to be sleeved and it won't ever crack again. The problem of downshift could be caused by a faulty throttle position sensor. A scanner would tell you alot!! 4l60's shift based on tps and speed.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:42 AM
11 Second Club

i dont drive it hard at all, it was previous owner, like 1 month after i bought it tranny went out, i dont have a scanner, figured my tranny guy would because hes been building 4l60es for 10+ years, but idk and it wasnt just for spark plugs, it was for checking the tranny problems, spark plugs, wires, coils, and labor. just looked at the recepit lol
Old 01-20-2011, 12:16 PM
Teching In

You need to find yourself a real tranny guy then. It requires one to tell if the tranny is working correctly most tranny guys drive everything with a scanner no matterwhat. You should try to find a big transmission shop cause most will drive it for free with a scanner!
Old 01-20-2011, 01:07 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Lt1Porsche
Spark plugs and wires for $60? Thats a negative ghost rider.....
http://compare.ebay.com/like/2607135...=263602_304662

http://compare.ebay.com/like/1206624...=263602_309572

There is a set of plugs and wires for $46 shipped to your door. Thats a positive ghost rider.....
Old 01-20-2011, 10:05 PM
11 Second Club

im going to give him a chance to make it right, thats like hiring an electrician to wire a house, then when something doesnt work, firing him, then paying some1 esle to fix it, instead of giving him a chance to make it right
Old 01-26-2011, 09:45 AM
Launching!

im going to give him a chance to make it right, thats like hiring an electrician to wire a house, then when something doesnt work, firing him, then paying some1 esle to fix it, instead of giving him a chance to make it right
i had the same thing happen to me.thing is....he has tried to get it right already.he doest know how,or what to do at this point.my tranny builder flat out told me "what do you want me to do?"so i told him to F%@# off.i understand you have invesed time and money into this guy,but either get your money back from him(what you can anyway)or tell him to take your tranny to someone HE KNOWs that can fix it and he will have to pay for it out of his own pocket.have you tried vacuum modulation yet?tested line pressure?
Old 02-16-2011, 01:25 AM
11 Second Club

car is fixed, he did drive it with a scanner and it said nothing was wrong, so he went out bought a new core, and rebuilt that one, all under warrenty, did free ignition switch and everything is working correctly, he said it was more then likely a little crack in the case that he couldnt find, took a little while but its ok, it got fixed and i got my ignition fixed =)
was worth the wait, makes me fall in love driving it like new all over again
Old 02-16-2011, 02:40 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

car is fixed, he did drive it with a scanner and it said nothing was wrong, so he went out bought a new core, and rebuilt that one, all under warrenty, did free ignition switch and everything is working correctly, he said it was more then likely a little crack in the case that he couldnt find, took a little while but its ok, it got fixed and i got my ignition fixed =)
was worth the wait, makes me fall in love driving it like new all over again
For the future....any time you take your car to ANY shop or ANY dealership.....when they stick that clipboard in your face to sign your life away. Make sure you take that clipboard and start walking around the car with the Service "scumbag" Writer or Shop "scumbag" Mechanic.....and note that the paint is flawless and or there are no door dings/scratches/scuffs....etc.....as well as the interior condition.
Then make sure you also write on there somewhere exactly the work they are to do and NOTHING else..........

Then when they **** your car up or do work that you did not authorize....you get the car fixed after a police report is made and you DO NOT have to pay for the damage they did.

I do this every single time I bring my car somewhere, which for me is really just tire places and a few times in 13 years to the dealership.

The look on their faces is priceless..........lol

Second piece of advice.......come here first from now on BEFORE you have any work done on your car. You'll save thousands of $$$ over the coming years......

Old 02-16-2011, 04:28 AM
11 Second Club

i posted in here many times and spent many nights researching the problem on here and on google. vince said look at the brake switch, which i told the tranny guy, i was stumped and no one on here knew what could be wrong. but yea when i signed i made sure what i was signing, but thanks for the advice hope this thread helps people who may have this same problem!