Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help stay 4l60e or PG ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Question Need help stay 4l60e or PG ???

Hey guys i need your help to deside wish transmision to use.

First of i going to give you some info of my project. Is a 99 z28 by next week i spect to finish my 8.8 rear instalation with 4.10. I both a set of 243 Heads that i going to fully port them and a magic stick 3 cam. I going to use long headers PS 1 3/4" x 3" , ASP pulley , SLP LS6 intake matchet to heads , 80mm T/Body, CAI and NX maf nitro sistem with like 150 HP.

Now for transmision at the begining i just plan to use a 4000 stall for the car.
But i know i have to modify my trans internals to handle the power but sayn that my car is in the body shop for a new paint job. My budget is tigth in this days. I have a body who have a Powerglide trans. with 2 options for stall
3200 and 5500 from his old car. The trans have all the goodies like transbrake,manual valve body,etc.
He offer me to put that trans.(PG) to my car the car probably weigth like 3400 lbs is a full body but is in a diet i'm taking out the AC,sway bars,back sits,spare and jack,took all the carpet out.
Just to let you know this going to be more a track car a street car i spect drive it some times in the street but is like 12 a year.

Now you think is a good option for me ? I like to hear what you guys have to say !

For next year i going to use PG anyways because the set up going to be 364ci twin turbo. But now is what i explain the thread.

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for the weight and tires and gears you are runnning you maynot like the PG off the line you may be more interested in doing a th400 setup. or if you want the 4 speed have a good 4l80e built. the 400 would also help the turbo work in the future the turbo will like the gearing of the th400.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Predator T/A
for the weight and tires and gears you are runnning you maynot like the PG off the line you may be more interested in doing a th400 setup. or if you want the 4 speed have a good 4l80e built. the 400 would also help the turbo work in the future the turbo will like the gearing of the th400.
What happend now most of my money is to the body shop and finish to put all the parts in my motor. Now i'm welling to change gears for like a 4.56 or 4.88. I knoe about the th400 but it going to put more weight to the car and robe horsepower from the motor. The thing is my body let me use his trans and i have to invest a minimum amount. But your point is very solid thanks for share it with me man!!
Old 01-28-2011, 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you know thats really a myth about th400s robbing more power than the other transmissions yes the parts are a little heavier but what most people think is robbing is when people go from the low geared 4l60e to the higher geared 400 they think it robbed power lol. it really isnt as much as people like to make it out to be. and a th400 is way cheaper to build to hold up to punishment than a PG is. you are going to think that the PG robbed power also due to the 1.78 -1.81 GR you use as opposed to the 400s 2.48 1st gear. there are some different ratios available for the PG but they are expensive. I would stay away from the PG in your app unless you think you may have traction issues with the 400 or climbing the ring gear issues.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

HHmmm... now you make me think about it. But the obstacle for me know is i can not start to find a th 400 to build it or buy an already builded one now. The PG that i can use is close to free. Now to enjoy my car the only chance i have is now is stay 4l80e and stall. But going to start lokking into the th400.Thanks so much you opened my mind.