Sponsored by:

IPT Performance Transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 12:50 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default IPT Performance Transmissions

Anyone ever heard of this company?

A few guys with badass (600+ HP) E55 Mercedes I met over the weekend at a little Merc gathering said this is where they bought their tranny's from.....and they also have built 4L80E's....cheap.....

Old 02-08-2011, 08:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You said cheap but the only price I saw was $2800 for the 80E. Looks like you can get an FLT level 4 for $2250 or a level 5 for $3250 and if you look over these boards enough you will see they are a proven trans shop to say the least. Jake's Performance was also running a good deal on the 80E as well.

I think I would stick with a sponsor of this site if you are spending that much already (plus it makes sense to support a site sponsor right?)
Old 02-08-2011, 03:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lt1pwr1
You said cheap but the only price I saw was $2800 for the 80E. Looks like you can get an FLT level 4 for $2250 or a level 5 for $3250 and if you look over these boards enough you will see they are a proven trans shop to say the least. Jake's Performance was also running a good deal on the 80E as well.

I think I would stick with a sponsor of this site if you are spending that much already (plus it makes sense to support a site sponsor right?)
Jakes recommended for my power level (850 RWHP on spray) the Stage 4. That will be over $4,000 with shipping.

I understand the whole sponsor thing.....but whats more important to me is buying the best product, sponsor or not. I want to spend my money on the best product, not a sponsor necessarily. I didn't know if this IPT Tranny place was one of those amazing tranny shops, since they build them for high end Mercedes and others. According to these guys, they're going on 5-6 years and their trannys are still perfect, under alot of HP/TQ.

Just checking around for the best product. There's a local guy here that has built about 6 F-Body 4L80E conversions, ATF Transmissions, they all seem like they're doing great from what I've heard....but he wants almost $5,500 installed. Thats a joke.

Last edited by LS6427; 02-08-2011 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:25 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't know anything about IPT.

I also agree that you should shop around and not overlook non-sponsors in your search for quality products. There are plenty of good companies that are not sponsors here or elsewhere for whatever reason.
It would be closed minded to only consider sponsors.

You should ALWAYS compare what you are getting for the price and the reputation of the company.

I will say this,
Our Stage 4 contains a billet input shaft, billet mainshaft, alloy forward hub, a couple of critical locations are refitted with torrington bearings instead of thrust washers, new sprags or roller clutches, all new soft parts using high quality components, new shift solenoids, internal wiring harness, new boost valve, and ANY hard parts that are questionable are replaced. We replace pumps and/or reaction carriers on probably 40-50% of the units we build.

We are also one of the few companies that offer our own design transbrake. Nothing against other companies but we know the hydraulics of the 4L80E better than most out there. I personally know every passage of a 4L80E by memory.
We've designed our own valve body calibration, we use our own design seperator plates on every unit we build, transbrake or not.

We have a new spragless design functioning in a test vehicle, and have been doing further experimenting with it this weekend.

We have the only adjustable pressure regulator assembly available on the market for our big power builds.

We're looking into (prototype stages) a billet overdrive carrier for the 1500+ HP/TQ builds.

I have been building performance transmissions for 15 years in some capacity. From mild, budget TH350's for the 300 HP guys to TH400's for 1500+ HP 10k lb monster trucks.
I know what parts will work and what won't.
We use billet parts from various suppliers. I've seen the quality difference between some of the shaft manufacturers and we use the best available, not just any billet shaft because it's cheaper or so we can say we install a billet piece.

The billet forward hub we use is heavier than most, has an internal ridge at the outer edge, and is properly heat treated.
Some of the others we've seen are not nearly as good.

The shafts we use have a nice spline cut and virtually no runout.
I've gotten other billet parts that I couldn't say the same about.

We build an average of 3-4 4L80E's a week from the shop, many are Stage 3 or 4's with the billet components. Probably 50% anyway. I am probably the largest purchaser of 4L80E billet components in the country as well as doing a large amount of volume for the rebuild parts. So I get very good pricing on this stuff.

I know what my costs are to build one, and I have a shop that is completely paid for. My overhead is as low as anybody. I've tried to make the 4L80E an affordable option for everybody. I doubt anybody else can offer a similar 4L80E for the price we sell them for. We're currently giving LS1Tech customers a transbrake at no extra cost with any trans build. Nobody else can do that except maybe Rossler. We'll continue to sell at competitive prices but they will likely be going up later this year.

It's not the perfect choice for every combo. There are situations where the 4L60E or another unit would be preferred.
However for your 600+ HP combos, it's usually a better choice, likely less expensive intial costs, and definitely less expensive long term.

Hopefully this gives some insight into what goes into a good build, the difference between the shops that are just rebuilding them and those that are at the forefront of R&D.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jake's Performance
I don't know anything about IPT.

I also agree that you should shop around and not overlook non-sponsors in your search for quality products. There are plenty of good companies that are not sponsors here or elsewhere for whatever reason.
It would be closed minded to only consider sponsors.

You should ALWAYS compare what you are getting for the price and the reputation of the company.

I will say this,
Our Stage 4 contains a billet input shaft, billet mainshaft, alloy forward hub, a couple of critical locations are refitted with torrington bearings instead of thrust washers, new sprags or roller clutches, all new soft parts using high quality components, new shift solenoids, internal wiring harness, new boost valve, and ANY hard parts that are questionable are replaced. We replace pumps and/or reaction carriers on probably 40-50% of the units we build.

We are also one of the few companies that offer our own design transbrake. Nothing against other companies but we know the hydraulics of the 4L80E better than most out there. I personally know every passage of a 4L80E by memory.
We've designed our own valve body calibration, we use our own design seperator plates on every unit we build, transbrake or not.

We have a new spragless design functioning in a test vehicle, and have been doing further experimenting with it this weekend.

We have the only adjustable pressure regulator assembly available on the market for our big power builds.

We're looking into (prototype stages) a billet overdrive carrier for the 1500+ HP/TQ builds.

I have been building performance transmissions for 15 years in some capacity. From mild, budget TH350's for the 300 HP guys to TH400's for 1500+ HP 10k lb monster trucks.
I know what parts will work and what won't.
We use billet parts from various suppliers. I've seen the quality difference between some of the shaft manufacturers and we use the best available, not just any billet shaft because it's cheaper or so we can say we install a billet piece.

The billet forward hub we use is heavier than most, has an internal ridge at the outer edge, and is properly heat treated.
Some of the others we've seen are not nearly as good.

The shafts we use have a nice spline cut and virtually no runout.
I've gotten other billet parts that I couldn't say the same about.

We build an average of 3-4 4L80E's a week from the shop, many are Stage 3 or 4's with the billet components. Probably 50% anyway. I am probably the largest purchaser of 4L80E billet components in the country as well as doing a large amount of volume for the rebuild parts. So I get very good pricing on this stuff.

I know what my costs are to build one, and I have a shop that is completely paid for. My overhead is as low as anybody. I've tried to make the 4L80E an affordable option for everybody. I doubt anybody else can offer a similar 4L80E for the price we sell them for. We're currently giving LS1Tech customers a transbrake at no extra cost with any trans build. Nobody else can do that except maybe Rossler. We'll continue to sell at competitive prices but they will likely be going up later this year.

It's not the perfect choice for every combo. There are situations where the 4L60E or another unit would be preferred.
However for your 600+ HP combos, it's usually a better choice, likely less expensive intial costs, and definitely less expensive long term.

Hopefully this gives some insight into what goes into a good build, the difference between the shops that are just rebuilding them and those that are at the forefront of R&D.
Thanks for the input, but I researched as much as I could and have asked a bunch of people with 4L80E's about their experiences...but most important what exactly was done to their "built" 4L80E's. Some have very little real custom work, some with a little more. But none that are really impressive. I'm pretty much done researching....I made the decision to get it from you guys because of all the upgrading you do to your trannys, so I'll be calling you to chat as soon as my engine is assembled and I get the call tp pick it up, because one week after that is when the engine and tranny will need to go into the car.

I've had a friend in Ft. Myers holding a built 4L80E for me in a crate for a long time, he decided not to use it a couple years ago so he gave (offered to sell it to me when I;'m ready) it to me. But now that I'm getting close to my build.....he said it really doesn't have much aftermarket stuff going on when I called recently to ask for details of the internal work. So I'm passing on it.......

Whats your ship time after I call you and pay for it....how many days to get it to my door (zip code 33322).

Thanks. (you can PM if you like)

Last edited by LS6427; 02-20-2011 at 10:24 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:43 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

The beautiful thing about the 4L80E is that it doesn't need EVERY piece in the trans upgraded to handle significant power.
So it can be "built" but not necessarily have a whole lot of aftermarket components and still handle 600-750 HP/TQ.
The key to success on those types of builds similar to our Stage II is attention to detail during assembly and proper hydraulic modifications. Pretty much a blueprinted build stock 4L80E with "shift kit" type mods.
Even the TransGo HD-2 kit that anyone can buy will work well in these types of builds.

Once you step up to greater power, the OEM hard parts become questionable.
The input shafts will break at the lube holes. VERY much like a 4L60E shaft. it's obviously a more robust shaft, but the lube holes create a stress riser and the OEM material is only really designed for OEM power levels. When you double the power level, you start seeing hard parts failures.

The mainshaft will break at the spline termination point or the lube hole.

The forward hubs will split the spined area.

We're 2-3 weeks out right now. I have 3 that should ship out this week. We've been a week behind usual due to some blizzard conditions a couple of weeks ago that shut down shipments in or out for a full week. So it held us up on some billet parts.

We have a pretty good inventory back on hand and have been playing catch up, however I'm anticipating quite a few orders because it's tax refund time and we've gotten a lot of calls and emails from people who are just waiting on their refund.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jake's Performance
The beautiful thing about the 4L80E is that it doesn't need EVERY piece in the trans upgraded to handle significant power.
So it can be "built" but not necessarily have a whole lot of aftermarket components and still handle 600-750 HP/TQ.
The key to success on those types of builds similar to our Stage II is attention to detail during assembly and proper hydraulic modifications. Pretty much a blueprinted build stock 4L80E with "shift kit" type mods.
Even the TransGo HD-2 kit that anyone can buy will work well in these types of builds.

Once you step up to greater power, the OEM hard parts become questionable.
The input shafts will break at the lube holes. VERY much like a 4L60E shaft. it's obviously a more robust shaft, but the lube holes create a stress riser and the OEM material is only really designed for OEM power levels. When you double the power level, you start seeing hard parts failures.

The mainshaft will break at the spline termination point or the lube hole.

The forward hubs will split the spined area.

We're 2-3 weeks out right now. I have 3 that should ship out this week. We've been a week behind usual due to some blizzard conditions a couple of weeks ago that shut down shipments in or out for a full week. So it held us up on some billet parts.

We have a pretty good inventory back on hand and have been playing catch up, however I'm anticipating quite a few orders because it's tax refund time and we've gotten a lot of calls and emails from people who are just waiting on their refund.
Ok, nice, I'm gonna just do the Stage 4 with 850 RWHP/RWTQ. Hopefully spragless if that whole things works out.........Cool, I'll just figure on 3 weeks delivery time for my planning.
Thanks........I'll be calling you soon.