Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TH400 question

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 02:14 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TH400 question

Ok, I have searched and can't seem to find an answer. Maybe someone will be able to help me out with this question...

In a TH400 that has a RMVB in it, Is it ok to manually shift back to say 1st gear or even second gear when driving. (like if I was already cruising at 40 mph and lined up next to someone to do a 1st gear pull on the street) Could I slow the car down, shift into 2nd gear, then into 1st gear and line up and race from whatever speed we are at in 1st gear? I heard that with a RMVB TH400 you are supposed to come to a complete stop before changing gears??? I personally thought it was BS when I heard it, but a few other people said they had heard that too. So I just wanted to ask someone in the Transmission field. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.
I have been back and forth with why it would be bad on the transmission and can't seem to come up with a logical reason behind someone saying this.
Please help me better understand why I can't do this or if it TRUELY is a BS Myth that someone made up.
Thank You!

-James
Old 02-14-2011, 07:39 AM
11 Second Club

You can, but you want to bring the rpms up before you downshift, least that's the way it was explained to me. Im still iffy about it so I personally don't do it. But some info for ya
Old 02-14-2011, 12:33 PM
10 Second Club

Ok, cool man. Thank You.
I'm guessing it's b/c the trans doesn't have an engine brake built in... so by bringing the rpm's up it's not gonna shock the tranny as much??? I think I'm on to something, lol but correct me if I'm wrong.
When cruising with your foot on the gas it maintains rpm, when you let off the gas the rpms drop down and the trans is just free wheeling itself (like in nuetral) so by bringing the rpms back up when downshifting it's acts as normal transmissions do and doesn't shock the trans when you get back into the gas.... Thats what I think anyways!!!
Old 02-14-2011, 01:03 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1Formula007
Ok, cool man. Thank You.
I'm guessing it's b/c the trans doesn't have an engine brake built in... so by bringing the rpm's up it's not gonna shock the tranny as much??? I think I'm on to something, lol but correct me if I'm wrong.
When cruising with your foot on the gas it maintains rpm, when you let off the gas the rpms drop down and the trans is just free wheeling itself (like in nuetral) so by bringing the rpms back up when downshifting it's acts as normal transmissions do and doesn't shock the trans when you get back into the gas.... Thats what I think anyways!!!
X2....Certain internals are actually accelerating (to over twice output shaft speed) if they are free wheeling.

The best method at speed is to very lightly accelerate (just enough for the sprag to be loaded after the downshift) then downshift.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:18 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks man, I guess I kinda answered my own question then huh. lol
I appreciate the help, But was just very curious as to why it was said to not downshift while cruising.... Makes perfect sense tho, kinda like why you don't wanna throw it in Neutral at the end of the 1/4 mile b/c the internals can multiply to like 3x's the rpm's of the engine (ex. 7000 rpm then Nuetral = 21,000 rpms) Transmissions have been KNOWN to explode b/c of this.

Thanks guys!

-James
Old 02-14-2011, 10:09 PM
11 Second Club

hell..Im still afraid to simply shut the car off in 3rd after the traps...lol
Old 02-15-2011, 09:24 AM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperSlow02
hell..Im still afraid to simply shut the car off in 3rd after the traps...lol
Yep....pressure will only hold the clutches for a short time before they bleed off.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:37 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I am in the same boat with my TCI 400, i will find out and i am sure it will take time to get used to.